Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 71 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

On and on we go both sides claiming the right to freedoms. We feel and see freedom differently it appears and I appreciate many of the concerns of the Brexiters without sharing them. I feel less free every time I have to travel up to St Pancras and can't use Ebbsfleet, when I can't buy bits for my bikes and wine direct from Europe, when it takes longer at border control and (nothing to do with the EU) when I see myself described as a subject.

I'm not a fan of minorities driving government and opposition agendas, which renders my vote less efferctive and the actual government of the country less effective. I feel less free now than of old as the divisions of 2016 morph into suppression of rights of assembly and protest and the exploitation of boats in the channel leads to more dilution of the rights of citizens.

I'd dearly like those, who drove and voted for Brexit to accept that they won, they have everything they wanted and more besides. This is it so can we please get on and make it at least work properly, it's a shambles at present. Please stop trying to create wedge arguments by inventing imaginary opposition and sabotage or get out of the road.
Why can't you buy bits for your bike from Europe?

As from today, physical, documentary and ID checks for medium risk animal and plant products from the EU. Expected to start at about 10% of cargo, to be ramped up to 100%.

BCCI rep seriously concerned about massive increase in costs, increased paperwork and damage to goods being unloaded/reloaded and deterioration of stock due to delays. Insurance unaffordable, apparently.

Source "Wake up to Money" BBC 4

Ah the joy of being free and controlling our own borders.
:rolleyes:
Do you believe a country should control it's borders?

To say we didn't have control of our borders is a nonsense but, I guess, that depends on how you define "we"

In the EU we were not allowed to reject EU citizens (with the conditions I've mentioned above).

If 5 million EU citizens decided to come here, we could not stop them.

On what planet is that "having control of our borders"?

If you guys still thought you were correct you'd be shoving it in my face....

The jokes say it all...

You‘ve been right about everything, I was just too embarrassed to say.

Let’s just make up and be happy living in an era where five million Frenchmen can’t suddenly cross the border to the UK and make fun of our food (and I don’t mean the price of it).

Why can't you buy bits for your bike from Europe?
Most if not all suppliers from EU no longer export to the UK including some of the best Hollandbikeshop and Rose bikes of Germany for instance. Many UK suppliers no longer carry anything like the range of products they did before Brexit.

Most if not all suppliers from EU no longer export to the UK including some of the best Hollandbikeshop and Rose bikes of Germany for instance. Many UK suppliers no longer carry anything like the range of products they did before Brexit.
Ah okay, thought you were going to say you can but it's expensive.

Well, you won't like this but it's the EU who are to blame. They don't want to offer a trade agreement with the UK because they can only keep their members through rule of fear. If they offer the UK a trade agreement then other countries will decide to leave and get a free trade agreement.

Basically free trade is the main benefit of the EU but you must accept hundreds of downsides.

Well, you won't like this but it's the EU who are to blame. They don't want to offer a trade agreement with the UK because they can only keep their members through rule of fear. If they offer the UK a trade agreement then other countries will decide to leave and get a free trade agreement.

Basically free trade is the main benefit of the EU but you must accept hundreds of downsides.
I think you’ll find that the EU and UK already have a comprehensive trade agreement.
The present problem with imports/exports is due to the rules of origin tariffs.

If you guys still thought you were correct you'd be shoving it in my face....

The jokes say it all...
I'm surprised you haven't been blocked!

I think the fact that proves you right is that the authorities thought there were 3 million EU nationals in the UK, when in fact there were 5 million.

I'm surprised you haven't been blocked!

I think the fact that proves you right is that the authorities thought there were 3 million EU nationals in the UK, when in fact there were 5 million.
Was he right about being able to turn boats around and send them straight back to France?

Do you believe a country should control it's borders?
As Waldo pointed out, I was happy with the amount of control we had whilst in the EU had we used the powers we had. We had sufficient control. We didn't use the powers we had. Hence people understandably baulked at the level of EU citizens in this country. It was supposed to be free movement of Labour, not people. I was also unhappy with this.

Greece, for example, did exercise these powers (a member of my family moved there for a few months and would have had to come back - fortunately wanted to come back anyway).

The marginal loss of "Sovereignty" and border control was a price worth paying for our membership of the EU imo.

Hope that answer isn't too nuanced for you. Don't want to do a Tarian and ask you to define 'control', just saying I was happy with the level of control we should have used.

By way of analogy, I could ask someone if they believed in Police powers. Obviously we believe they should have some but the amount of powers wouldn't be infinite. Ie, there isn't a simple yes or no.

Yeh, my cricket club rules by fear. If you don't join it you can't play for them. disgusting behaviour. People who aren't members should have the same rights as those who are (and pay their membership fees). :rolleyes:

In the EU we were not allowed to reject EU citizens (with the conditions I've mentioned above).

If 5 million EU citizens decided to come here, we could not stop them.

On what planet is that "having control of our borders"?
The planet "we agreed to immigration rules so we accepted who could come and go". That is controlling our borders. You might not have liked the rules but, as a country, we accepted them...until 2016, that is. Since then, with the help of the French, we have absolutely controlled our borders🫡

I think you’ll find that the EU and UK already have a comprehensive trade agreement.
The present problem with imports/exports is due to the rules of origin tariffs.
We really don’t. All we have is an agreement not to impose tariffs or have tariffs imposed. That’s the beginning and the end of it.