Youth team go top | Vital Football

Youth team go top

Hillman Imp

Vital Squad Member
Proof, if any were needed, that the club is heading in the right direction.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/lincolncityfcyouthacademy/teams/129766/league-table?table=division-19057

it can surely be only a matter of time before the youth policy finds a gem to sell on for a lot of cash!!

Its great that there up there but can't any league club come and take a player at youth level without compensating us?

Yes, because we're not part of the FL we basically get nothing for youngsters signed by other clubs. Another reason the youth set-up is pointless, as if we do have any "gems", we're basically just discovering them and developing them to be poached for nothing.

NottyImp - 29/2/2016 17:21

Yes, because we're not part of the FL we basically get nothing for youngsters signed by other clubs. Another reason the youth set-up is pointless, as if we do have any "gems", we're basically just discovering them and developing them to be poached for nothing.
Youth set-up pointless? Very harsh there Notty!

Steve O'Dare - 29/2/2016 17:51

Harsh yes, but the point Notty is making is valid, if a club is going to send a scout to look at youth players it'll most likely be to the team at the top, all the wonderful work put in by the youth set-up would be pointless if they just go to a FL club for nothing. In fact it would of cost th club money training them?

Surely it is up to Lincoln to spot their own talent first and sign them up so they can not be stolen for free?

Jamesimp - 29/2/2016 19:15

Harsh yes, but the point Notty is making is valid, if a club is going to send a scout to look at youth players it'll most likely be to the team at the top, all the wonderful work put in by the youth set-up would be pointless if they just go to a FL club for nothing. In fact it would of cost th club money training them?

The situation is not that clear cut. Although the system is still extremely unfair to non-league teams, it firstly applies only to U16's. Even in this case there is still the ability to negotiate for compensation. Getting promotion would obviously overcome that issue.

There is also always a long shot of getting money under FIFA's compensation system which saw Stocksfield last year net 100,000 pounds from the transfer of Fraser Forster from Celtic to Southampton.

I have heard comments that clubs that have previously closed their Youth Academies have always regretted that decision. So it was interesting to read Kevin Nicholson's comments last week about Torquay's decision to close their Academy last summer. He makes comments such as "horrible decisions", "we all want a youth system" and "have missed out on a few young players already".

I am not trying to put forward a comprehensive argument that the Academy be maintained but to highlight that it's not simply about losing some youth players without compensation to Football League teams. There are many factors, tangible and intangible, to consider.

Sorry, yes, probably came across a bit "rugged" there! There are certainly community benefits from the Youth Team and I'm all in favour of those. And big congrats to the team for how well they are doing, of course.

My concern has always been what benefits it offers the senior club. I have yet to be persuaded of those benefits. We either need to be selling players on, or bringing them through to feature regularly in the first team. Neither of these things seems to be happening and haven't been happening for years.

SAToffeeImp - 29/2/2016 20:21

Jamesimp - 29/2/2016 19:15

The situation is not that clear cut. Although the system is still extremely unfair to non-league teams, it firstly applies only to U16's. Even in this case there is still the ability to negotiate for compensation. Getting promotion would obviously overcome that issue.

There is also always a long shot of getting money under FIFA's compensation system which saw Stocksfield last year net 100,000 pounds from the transfer of Fraser Forster from Celtic to Southampton.

I have heard comments that clubs that have previously closed their Youth Academies have always regretted that decision. So it was interesting to read Kevin Nicholson's comments last week about Torquay's decision to close their Academy last summer. He makes comments such as "horrible decisions", "we all want a youth system" and "have missed out on a few young players already".

I am not trying to put forward a comprehensive argument that the Academy be maintained but to highlight that it's not simply about losing some youth players without compensation to Football League teams. There are many factors, tangible and intangible, to consider.

Interesting comments. As you say, you can negotiate for payments for U16 players, but I have a feeling there is no binding requirement to pay compensation and I *think* I've heard clubs often don't.

As to Torquay, they are rather up a big financial creek without a paddle and I suspect having cheap youth players handy might be more beneficial to them than us at the moment.

The intangible benefits I touch on above. I'd like to see some tangible ones too, though!

Someone told me that sonething like 30 to 40 players from the youth system have been given first team action in the past 10 years or so. Not many have gone on to do much here or elsewhere and that is obviously a big problem.

Being top of their league is fine, but as said it's about how it benefits the first team. If a successful youth team can't be a feeder for the first team then i agree with the 'pointless' analysis

SIMJON - 1/3/2016 09:48

Someone told me that sonething like 30 to 40 players from the youth system have been given first team action in the past 10 years or so. Not many have gone on to do much here or elsewhere and that is obviously a big problem.

Being top of their league is fine, but as said it's about how it benefits the first team. If a successful youth team can't be a feeder for the first team then i agree with the 'pointless' analysis

Indeed-and what would be the cost of those players in salaries in that period? Including NI say £K 500 .Also you have about 10 years of club subsidies say another £K 260. That makes £K 760 . That's a lot of cost but little in the way of identifiable benefit or end product.

57harry - 1/3/2016 10:30

SIMJON - 1/3/2016 09:48

Indeed-and what would be the cost of those players in salaries in that period? Including NI say £K 500 .Also you have about 10 years of club subsidies say another £K 260. That makes £K 760 . That's a lot of cost but little in the way of identifiable benefit or end product.

Not all those players were given pro contracts, and i guess you'd need to factor in any wages recouped when out on loan but i agree, it's been a burden.

Bridging the gap is the obvious elephant in the room. Now our finances seem healthier i wonder if we're looking at restarting the reserve team? I think without that we really are p!ssung in the wind, but then again even when we had one very few players came through.