Your First NUFC Experience | Page 4 | Vital Football

Your First NUFC Experience

From time to time I look up NUFC.com just to see past games. 41 years today since my first ever FA Cup* game. A 1-1 draw (to go with my opening 1-1 with arsenal and my 1-1 first away game v boro mentioned earlier) v the mighty scunny! eek! 41 years!

* for younger fans this is a competition newcastle used to enter each year. It's dealt with by way of an open draw and you try to win each game you are drawn in. At the end you could even win a shiny pot to look after for a whole year and celebrate with a big party. I know - daft isn't it?

First FA Cup game, that's a tough one for me. I honestly haven't got a clue, but not as early as that one of yours. Just looking at the same report, and it says there was 38,000 there. So that's 45,000 really.

I used to love those nights under floodlights, FA cup replays. There was a one v Forest, in the snow. They almost called it off, but a big crowd was in and they played it. Honestly, it was fucking heaving. We lost 3-1 after Pedro missed a penalty .. all kinds of dramas, on a snowy pitch, under floodlights. What a racket we made. The next say it said the gate was 27,000 or some such shit. You couldn't get in ffs, they were locking gates.

Haha! aye that'll be right OL. That game was in the mid-80's and the gallowgate were throwing snowballs at the forest keeper! Newcastle battered them and could have been 4 up in the first 5 mins. Went to extra time that one.

I love the'for younger fans' bit Finn! Owld buggers like me were at those games. I remember being at both games, home and away. We drew at Forest when really we should have won. It was at the time of the miners strike and the Nottingham miners were still working. The Newcastle fans were kept behind, as was the norm in those days and we chanted 'scab, scab, scab to the Forest fans as they left at the end of the game.

spot on Mc! Yeah I was at the first game n all and remember that very well. I was in the seats and quite near the trent end. You're right - should have won that game as well. Megson scored after he'd jus been signed - from them! It was a sunday but can't remember why 'cos it wasn't on the telly. I think it must have been '85 - and what with the miners strike it really was quite radgee with them.

OldLeazes - 26/1/2015 20:51

First FA Cup game, that's a tough one for me. I honestly haven't got a clue, but not as early as that one of yours. Just looking at the same report, and it says there was 38,000 there. So that's 45,000 really.

I used to love those nights under floodlights, FA cup replays. There was a one v Forest, in the snow. They almost called it off, but a big crowd was in and they played it. Honestly, it was fucking heaving. We lost 3-1 after Pedro missed a penalty .. all kinds of dramas, on a snowy pitch, under floodlights. What a racket we made. The next say it said the gate was 27,000 or some such shit. You couldn't get in ffs, they were locking gates.

That was when I was a 13 year old and as far as im concerned, the closest I ever came to dying at a match because of the crowd surge at the back of the Gallowgate.

Turnstyle 8 for me that night and after my life flashed in front of my eyes, I got in and a lady copper, instead of checking like they used to do down your sides etc, undid the scarf i had on and made sure i was alright. Scary stuff it was.