Your First Game? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Your First Game?

10 Sept 77, Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal , Alex cropley 90+5 mins
Sat in the brand new upper north stand which was like a wind tunnel as they hadn't got the sides on yet

First game was a friendly away at West Brom. in ‘95 which we lost 1-0, still got the programme which is only a few pages. First proper game was against Man U at home not long after that for the first game of the season, also still got that programme and Gareth Southgate is on the cover. Remember it well, I was sat in the old Trinity Road and it was baking hot. We won 3-1, they wore that grey kit and Alan Hanson later said on MOTD ‘they’ll never win anything with kids’, the rest is history!

1957 F.A.Cup final (aged 5) Father made the mistake of promising to take me to the final if we got there. So along with all his mates from the then Fisher & Ludlow got on a coach to wembley slept all the way there and back managed to see most of the game from dads shoulders not that I understood much of it. Eventually becoming a regular attendee at Villa Park from the age of 8 cheers dad god rest your soul for 51 years of delight & misery in all its many shades.

Preston North end away in the third division circa 1970, no recollection but apparently we all went to Blackpool afterwards

Maybe not my first game, but I remember my dad taking me as a kid to see us play York City when in division three. Sat, as we always did when I was little, in the “Witton End”. I remember being a fan of the York kit with the big Y on the front. I am pretty sure we won. Andy Lochhead was up front. I presume Jimmy Cumbes in goal. And, as always seemed to happen, Chico Hamilton was number 12. I also presume my dad didn’t but me anything from the young guys in funny hats selling snacks at half time. He never did. Bugger.

Not remotely memorable to anyone else, but mine was Villa v Watford, 21 April 1984 - a present for my 9th birthday from my Dingle-supporting (!) Dad.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-watford-21-april-1984-87108/

Sir Dennis Mortimer and Steve Foster (of white headband fame) scored for the Villa, Worrall Sterling (I think) scored for Watford. John Barnes was playing for Watford then and it was the year they got to the FA Cup final, so they were a decent side.

The crowd was 16k - shocking really - but it felt like millions to little old me. Trinity Road Upper, floorboard banging and the smell of Bovril stick with me. I have never looked back. I don't think I have been so excited about going to a football match, and I don't think I ever will be.

:utv:

Reactions: OVB
January 1995 Leeds at home in the freezing cold, may have even been some snow if I remember correctly. Always remember walking down Aston Lane as a 7 year old and seeing the corner of the Doug Ellis stand for the very first time. Coming to the stadium from the west side seeing it come into view was always magical for me as a kid no matter how many times I saw it, little did I know coming in from the Aston side is an even more wonderful sight but as a kid you don’t care about those things.

Getting to see my hero Dean Saunders at the time in the old trinity road. My grandad had kept the programme pristine, which my nan found earlier this year clearing out their old house.

The game finished 0-0 :confused:

I always thought it was Bolton,Huddersfield or something but checking dates it must have been Norwich in Dec 67. No idea what the score was I was just 10 and mesmerised by the number of people in the stadium. Never seen so many people in one place before.

First game I can remember watching on the TV was Anderlecht away and my Dad going mental at the final whistle - at the time I don't think I appreciated just what a momentous achievement that was.
First game at Villa Park was Tottenham in 1982. I'd started to develop a soft spot for Spurs as they were always on the TV due to their FA Cup runs and having the likes Hoddle, Ardiles and Archibald. My Villa supporting Dad obviously decided he wasnt having any of that so took down the Holte End to see them play the mighty Villa. He sat me on the barrier near the front and 90 minutes later we had given them a footballing lesson with a 4-0 thumping. There was no turning back after that, supporting the greatest team in Europe was going to be easy and give me a lifetime of watching us smash everyone who turned up at VP!

First game lions Blackpool,1st February 1958.already in awe of all things Aston villa.dad was a holte ender but treated me to a seat in the trinity road.we drew 1-1,it was Stanley Matthews birthday and nearly 50000 sang happy birthday stanley.it was a lively game, Matthews set up Dave charnley to head the opener and(I think) Gerry hitchens equalized with a screamer from the edge of the box.wonderfully happy memories, some great villa legends,Peter mcparland, Jimmy dugdale,Nigel Sims and Wembley cup winning captain, Johnny dixon.vtid

6 0-61 season, when we won the inaugural League Cup.
Dont remember much about the seasons games but great memories of the players of that time.
Sims in goal, Slogger Slueewenhoek, Doris Deakin Ron Wylie Harry Burrows to name a few.
Like others have said, it was the whole match day experience and the exitement as a 10 year old on the old Witton End listening to all the banter and the singing and the old wooden rattles.

Oh what a night (well, close anyway !)

The game, a fortnight later, when Man U were put to the sword 4-0 (and Denis Law got sent off) would fit that description better, holtetower, even though both matches were played at the now very unusual time of 3pm. Alas, I was not at the latter event, being back home in Belfast after a short visit to Brum (for the first time) to visit my parents and sister.

I don't think it was my first game, as I remember standing on top of milk crates in the holte end.... but the first game I really remember well and the one that comes to mind is when we beat Wimbledon 7-1. I think I was in the Witton lane stand for that one...

My dad went to this game, took some contacts from scandaniva for work purposes (I assume) I was pretty pissed off I wasn’t allowed to go to this as I was probably too young. Probably the most memorable premier league scoreline in our history :mad:

Liverpool at home 1979 and we won, 3 1 I think. My red supporting aunt, uncle and cousins took me, we sat in the Witton lane stand.

10 March 1990

Aston Villa 2 - 0 Luton Town

Daley, Platt

To think Luton were in the top league at that time. Crazy.

10 March 1990

Aston Villa 2 - 0 Luton Town

Daley, Platt

To think Luton were in the top league at that time. Crazy.

Brilliant goal from Daley that day, dribbled it down the touchline from the half way line before cutting in and poking it inside the keepers near post.