Your First Game? | Vital Football

Your First Game?

I think it was 1970.

Villa v Italian U21 0-0 stood in the Trinity Road enclosure.

January 1998, FA Cup 3rd Round

Portsmouth 2-2 Villa

We got drenched in the then non-covered away end and were 2-0 down and set for a Cupset, fortunately, the lads saved us that embarrassment.

Santos at home. Pele. Don’t remember anything about it, but I was definitely there.

First one I remember was on new years day 1988, so I'd have been 8 years old.

We beat Hull City in the old division 2 by 5 goals to nil.

Andy Gray got 2, Alan McInally got 1, and then super sub Warren Aspinall replaced Gray and got 2 of his own.

Aspinall was instantly my hero and I have lots of old sticker books somewhere all filled in with 'Favourite Player' - Warren Aspinall.

Pretty sure I went to a couple of games before that one, I definitely have programmes that pre-date it, but I was probably too young, and the games too boring to remember.

Mine was a bit of a cracker. September 92, Dean Saunders (and my) home debut, 4 goals, 2 from Deano and a spectacular miss from good old Ronny Rosentahl. Instantly hooked.

I don't think it was my first game, as I remember standing on top of milk crates in the holte end.... but the first game I really remember well and the one that comes to mind is when we beat Wimbledon 7-1. I think I was in the Witton lane stand for that one...

For me, the stars aligned in a very strange way in terms of supporting the Villa. It started with a claret and blue shirt (my first proper football shirt, which I lived in). Knowing the old man, he probably got it on the cheap lol.

Hadn't decided fully which team to support but the family coming from the West Midlands (we can go and see the Villa when we visit said Dad,) and my second cousin Lionel Martin playing for the Villa kind of swung it.

Two games in the 1970-71 League Cup run that season cemented it. A 1-1 draw away to my home town club Northampton Town in Oct 70, I was 8 years old, got me interested. Then, having pestered the old man and as a Christmas treat during a visit to relatives, the unforgettable experience of a night game at a heaving Villa Park for the defeat of the mighty Man Utd in the semi final. Can barely remember the game, but the atmosphere .............. That was it, the clincher VTID

November 1997 vs Chelsea, first time over from Ireland with my mam and sister. We were in the old Trinity Road stand.

Lost 2-0, Yorke missed a penalty, all round dreadful performance, but the first of many great experiences!

Oxford at home in 1969 in the second division I think it was the year we got relegated. I was 4 and strangely it was a night game. Apparently I fell asleep at half time. The only thing I remember were the floodlights.

Cant remember my first as my mom n dad took me down as small child.

My first memories are of the 77 season hearing the Holte sing "we all agree Brian Little is magic".

First game "on my own" 1983 Didier Six 3 Man Utd 1

First away game seeing Johnny Metgod score a free kick from 200 yards at Forest.

First heartbreak - Milk Cup semi away at Oxford.

First joy - Swindon

Best game - Tranmere or Liverpool semi

Most gutting - Chelsea 2000

That covers it

My first time at VP was Spain vs West Germany in the 1966 World Cup. I started going to see the Villa occasionally when I was 10 which would have been 1968. The 68-69 season I was there for every Saturday game as I walked from my Nans in Nechells. That was the season we went down to Div 3 and I was pretty much a regular. I can’t remember who we played at my first game, just the noise and the crowd.

First match on TV - Villa 2 - 0 Chelsea at Villa Park in 2007

First match at Villa Park - Villa 0 - 1 Blackburn in 2010

Most gutting - Sitting in Wembley last May, must have stayed in my seat for half an hour without moving or saying a word, utterly stunned we lost that match. The week leading up to the match, sitting on the plane next to a Fulham fan, walking from the Tube to Wembley, even after Cairney scored, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that we were destined to win. Thought when Jack ran through their entire team to get in on goal, we were sure to tie it up and go on from there. Still hurts to think about that match, especially after seeing that stamp on Grealish in the first half (as I didn't see it at all from where I was sitting).

When. I was 17 all my mates supported wolves and we all used to go to the games but to me it never seemed right I couldn't relate to them in 1968 before the doug Ellis regime I went to villa Park and I knew I had found my spiritual home and it still is ❤️???