Your Favourite/Least Favourite Moments Supporting The Imps? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Your Favourite/Least Favourite Moments Supporting The Imps?

The worst for me by a country mile was that court date back in 2002 in Birmingham when the judge said the life of Lincoln City is hanging by a thread. Any dreadful results or relegation from the League pales into insignificance at the thought of not having a club to support at all, We were overjoyed a week later when we actually got into administration that's how bad it was!

The best that's hard to say as there have actually been some great times despite all the dross in between. 2003 Play Off final after that admin, getting back into the League in 1988, promotion in 1998, getting back into the League in 2017, beating Burnley in the FA Cup, playing Arsenal in the quarter finals, promotion to League 1 last season. All of these for me were the best and I can't choose. However seeing Lincoln City walk out and win at Wembley in front of 28,000 fans there to support the Imps was certainly my proudest.

One thing that is apparent with that list is how much joy there has been in the last 3 years. No wonder none of us want to contemplate the day the Cowleys eventually leave. To me they are already legends of the club and will go down in the annals of history as our greatest managers.

I remember seeing your picture and story in the Echo that was an Epic trip I bet?
Spot on Casper, amazing stuff and I’m still indebted to the kind lady who gave me her ticket. Incredible moment I’ll never forget. Amazing when compared with the Bromley game approx 18 months earlier, pre Cowley of course

Keep the moments coming. I'll probably turn it into a Front Page article!

Best is a tough call but Burnley in the FA Cup is up there because of the sheer unexpected magnitude of a Non league team beating a Premier league team on their patch and it made the whole country recognise little Lincoln.

Worst has to be Aldershot. The start of a 5 year coma!

29th August 1981, I was 12 years old and we were on holiday, staying at my Uncles pub The George in Middle Wallop in Hampshire. That day we were away at Portsmouth so obviously we went Fratton Park. I have no memory whatsoever of the game, other than it was 1-1. I could google and get an overview of the game, but that would be both false and irrelevant to the importance of that day and what it led to 22 years later.

As clear as it happened yesterday I remember the sports report music on BBC radio 2 and as it quietened to back ground music (still the same today on Radio 5) the reporter then announced that Swansea City had beaten Leeds United 5-1 and had gone from the 4th Division (League 2 for the youngsters) to the top of League Division 1 (The Premier League) inside 4 seasons. I remember turning to Dad and saying to him "wow, I'd love to see Lincoln in division one, that would be like a dream.". His response was, "Wembley Son, I'd love to see Lincoln play at Wembley, that would be a dream". Back then you got to Wembley in either the FA Cup or League Cup finals, no play offs.

Sadly, at the ridiculously young age of 56 Dad died of a rare form of lung cancer caused by the years of working as a plater welder and breathing in toxic fumes omitted from welding. In 1996 at the age of 27 I was fatherless.

Between 1996 and early 2002 I'd met and married my wife (Now Ex) and moved to Warrington, Cheshire. Jenny knew that I supported Lincoln City and she even accompanied me to the odd game that we played away in the North West. I didn't get to Sincil Bank for a few years and she had no idea what The Imps meant to me and to be fair I don't really think I knew what it meant until March 2002 when ITV Digital went into administration and Rob Bradley announced that we were, well to put it in it's simplest terms, F*@ked.

Of an evening Jenny would watch one of the the Soap operas or another and i would go to the office and log on. I used to be on the original JV Message board and that's where I found out. A few of us, I don't know who, as we all use pseudonyms, we were throwing around ideas about raising and making money, the soap had finished and Jenny came in and asked why I was crying, I hadn't realised that I was, but as i explained to her what had happened I was uncontrollable with emotion. It became clear to me through that evening that Lincoln City FC, The Mighty Imps was me and my Dad, it was what he and I did together, it was our bond, it was what we both loved, it made our weekend win or lose, Lincoln City FC kept him alive, it meant so much to me before (though i didn't know it), it meant everything to me at that moment, Lincoln City was Sam Price, I couldn't let it die we had to fight.

Over the coming weeks we fought, we raised money, with Robs permission I
spoke to Everton FC and blagged a bucket day at a home game at Goodison to raise funds for 'Save the Imps' Jenny and her family manning buckets, BBC East Midlands filmed Rob and I for a piece on 'What effect the ITV Digital collapse would have on football', we went to Birmingham for the Court case. We survived by the skin of our teeth. If memory serves me correctly Rob received a call from the Coop bank accepting the CVA 5 Minutes before the case was up in front of the judge.

Over to Keith Alexander 'The Great', no money, no players and favourites for relegation. Fast forward to May 14th 2003, Simon 'The goal machine' Yeo and the Dambusters celebration. I remember driving across M62 back towards Warrington probably about 11pm that night still buzzing from the atmosphere, the astonishment of what Keith had achieved with a bunch of non league misfits we'd never heard of in August and the prospect of promotion, It was then that I remembered 29th August 1981, I had to pull over to the hard shoulder, I just couldn't drive in that emotional state, I was going to live out and achieve my Fathers dream to watch Lincoln City at Wembley. OK it was Cardiff, but it was defacto Wembley.

Checkatrade was incredible and goes down in history and I would take nothing away for the club, team or supporters for that being the moment.

2003. thank you Rob, thank you Keith (RIP), thank you Jenny, thank you to all those that raised money, gave money and gave time. But most of all thank you Dad for taking me to Sincil Bank in 1978 and telling me what your dream as an Imps fan was on 28th August 1981. I'm so proud of having lived it out on your behalf. He would have loved the last three seasons.

Best: Ipswich at home in 2017. I was 6,000 miles away in Kuala Lumpur but that was a night (middle of the night/very early morning for me!) that was truly magical. We’d been appalling in the Cup ever since I started going in 1991 - and for many years before that too - but to play so well and get our deserved win, and with such a beautifully worked goal in the shadow of the cathedral live on the bbc, still gives me goosebumps to this day. The moment when I think everyone knew that we were in truly special times. The penalty shoot out win in the Checkatrade the year after runs it very close. I was in lincoln for that one, and knowing your club is going to Wembley for the very first time for me even beat the wonderful day out in the final.

Worst: a whole load of games between the 2011 relegation and BC in 2016 (Before Cowley) just mould into one long horror story. Aldershot for obvious reasons, 2-0 defeat to Kettering the following season where we battered them and then fell apart after their first attack; a horrid 4-1 thrashing by Grimsby on Boxing Day; and perhaps the worst ever performance I’ve seen from a Lincoln team at home to Halifax under Chris Moyses a couple of years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
29th August 1981, I was 12 years old and we were on holiday, staying at my Uncles pub The George in Middle Wallop in Hampshire. That day we were away at Portsmouth so obviously we went Fratton Park. I have no memory whatsoever of the game, other than it was 1-1. I could google and get an overview of the game, but that would be both false and irrelevant to the importance of that day and what it led to 22 years later.

As clear as it happened yesterday I remember the sports report music on BBC radio 2 and as it quietened to back ground music (still the same today on Radio 5) the reporter then announced that Swansea City had beaten Leeds United 5-1 and had gone from the 4th Division (League 2 for the youngsters) to the top of League Division 1 (The Premier League) inside 4 seasons. I remember turning to Dad and saying to him "wow, I'd love to see Lincoln in division one, that would be like a dream.". His response was, "Wembley Son, I'd love to see Lincoln play at Wembley, that would be a dream". Back then you got to Wembley in either the FA Cup or League Cup finals, no play offs.

Sadly, at the ridiculously young age of 56 Dad died of a rare form of lung cancer caused by the years of working as a plater welder and breathing in toxic fumes omitted from welding. In 1996 at the age of 27 I was fatherless.

Between 1996 and early 2002 I'd met and married my wife (Now Ex) and moved to Warrington, Cheshire. Jenny knew that I supported Lincoln City and she even accompanied me to the odd game that we played away in the North West. I didn't get to Sincil Bank for a few years and she had no idea what The Imps meant to me and to be fair I don't really think I knew what it meant until March 2002 when ITV Digital went into administration and Rob Bradley announced that we were, well to put it in it's simplest terms, F*@ked.

Of an evening Jenny would watch one of the the Soap operas or another and i would go to the office and log on. I used to be on the original JV Message board and that's where I found out. A few of us, I don't know who, as we all use pseudonyms, we were throwing around ideas about raising and making money, the soap had finished and Jenny came in and asked why I was crying, I hadn't realised that I was, but as i explained to her what had happened I was uncontrollable with emotion. It became clear to me through that evening that Lincoln City FC, The Mighty Imps was me and my Dad, it was what he and I did together, it was our bond, it was what we both loved, it made our weekend win or lose, Lincoln City FC kept him alive, it meant so much to me before (though i didn't know it), it meant everything to me at that moment, Lincoln City was Sam Price, I couldn't let it die we had to fight.

Over the coming weeks we fought, we raised money, with Robs permission I
spoke to Everton FC and blagged a bucket day at a home game at Goodison to raise funds for 'Save the Imps' Jenny and her family manning buckets, BBC East Midlands filmed Rob and I for a piece on 'What effect the ITV Digital collapse would have on football', we went to Birmingham for the Court case. We survived by the skin of our teeth. If memory serves me correctly Rob received a call from the Coop bank accepting the CVA 5 Minutes before the case was up in front of the judge.

Over to Keith Alexander 'The Great', no money, no players and favourites for relegation. Fast forward to May 14th 2003, Simon 'The goal machine' Yeo and the Dambusters celebration. I remember driving across M62 back towards Warrington probably about 11pm that night still buzzing from the atmosphere, the astonishment of what Keith had achieved with a bunch of non league misfits we'd never heard of in August and the prospect of promotion, It was then that I remembered 29th August 1981, I had to pull over to the hard shoulder, I just couldn't drive in that emotional state, I was going to live out and achieve my Fathers dream to watch Lincoln City at Wembley. OK it was Cardiff, but it was defacto Wembley.

Checkatrade was incredible and goes down in history and I would take nothing away for the club, team or supporters for that being the moment.

2003. thank you Rob, thank you Keith (RIP), thank you Jenny, thank you to all those that raised money, gave money and gave time. But most of all thank you Dad for taking me to Sincil Bank in 1978 and telling me what your dream as an Imps fan was on 28th August 1981. I'm so proud of having lived it out on your behalf. He would have loved the last three seasons.

Absolutely class story and although all our stories are different it perfectly sums up the passion and loyalty we and other smaller clubs fans share for our clubs. We are not Premier League glory hunters we are supporters of our clubs through the ups and downs of life. It's in the heart and soul of us all. Well done sir :clap:

Absolutely class story and although all our stories are different it perfectly sums up the passion and loyalty we and other smaller clubs fans share for our clubs. We are not Premier League glory hunters we are supporters of our clubs through the ups and downs of life. It's in the heart and soul of us all. Well done sir :clap:

Thanks Casper, as you say we all have a story. That took sometime to write last night, all the emotions flooding back.

Putting aside the Bradford Fire which was the most dreadful moment.
But for football, Swansea away 1987.
No club had been relegated before. All others that had been thrown out the League seemed dead and buried as clubs, never to be seen again.
Relegation hadn't even been a possibility for nearly all of that season. I think we were 7th in January and doing ok. Then the worst sequence of results ensued.
Am i right in thinking we were beating Scunny at home in penultimate match and 100% safe and then they scored 2 late goals?
So it went to the last weekend.
Again from memory we still had Tranmere, Torquay and Burnley below us so still little danger.
But of course every result went the wrong way. Tranmere won on the Friday night.
We then went and lost at Swansea. And then came the nightmare period of waiting for Torquay and Burnley. Again I think Torquay had been 2-0 down at HT which left us very safe. But some dog and linesmen got involved somewhere and they got a late draw. Am i remembering all this right?

And then there was the extra half hour wait for Burnley to finish their game.
I was by then sat on the pavement outside the Vetch Field (what a miserable setting for the unfolding events), with my little radio listening to the results and waiting waiting for the final score from Burnley.
Of course all the media attention was on whether the great Burnley would get relegated, the rest of us were completely irrelevant it seemed.

Then finally the bad news was confirmed. Burnley had won 2-1 and we were down.
At that moment i was convinced i had just witnessed the very end of my beloved Lincoln City. I just sat there very dejected and very tearful.
To add to the misery I'd also missed my train back to Coventry.
Fortunately one of the players had come round, Jimmy Gilligan, and as he was in his car, he gave me a lift as far as Bristol Temple Meads which at least gave me a connection back up to Birmingham late on the Sat night.
I finally made it back to Cov on Sunday morning.
Appalling travelling. Dreadful ground. And worst possible outcome. And most of all certain I'd never see Lincoln play in the Football League again.

So that's my worst football day.

Best: Easy. Burnley FA Cup.

Ironically Burnley involved again

To be honest the vast majority of my years watching Lincoln have involved a good laugh with my mates, interrupted by 90 minutes of dross.

Aldershot at home, plus numerous away games at salubrious venues such as Carlshalton, Welling, Bath and Whitehawk are undoubtedly the worst. Plus not even competing against the Cods for at least 3 years.

Off the back of all of those seeing us return to our rightful place at home to Macc has to be up there with the best. As are cup games against Man City, Southampton, Ipswich and Burnley.

I also have a slightly odd soft spot for that FA Cup win on penalties at a very wet Gigg Lane circa 2001(?).

Oh and witnessing a midweek away win is always very satisfying!

Putting aside the Bradford Fire which was the most dreadful moment.
But for football, Swansea away 1987.
We then went and lost at Swansea. And then came the nightmare period of waiting for Torquay and Burnley. Again I think Torquay had been 2-0 down at HT which left us very safe. But some dog and linesmen got involved somewhere and they got a late draw. Am I remembering all this right?
And then there was the extra half hour wait for Burnley to finish their game.

Second only to the Bradford fire was seeing David Longhurst die on the pitch at York.

It wasn't a linesman involved at Torquay - a police dog bit a Torquay player and the game was held up for at least 15 minutes.

As I remember it the Burnley game had already finished and because of all the injury time at Torquay due to the dog incident the wait was for the Torquay game to finish and hope they'd lost 2-1. However, in all the time added on Paul Dobson got an equaliser for them.

Worst for me has to be the Aldershot relegation game just because of the abject nature of how we did not go about it. It is the only time I have ever vented outright anger at the players. Best, I will park for now and post later.

Got it now. I grew up in the 70's and first half of the 80's as an Ipswich supporter and even when they took a back seat to City late 80's and beyond I still got to Portman Rd a bit and saw them away at various locations so my best is the whole of the FA Cup tie against them. The away game at Portman Rd was immense as a day out because our support was so amazing and to draw and bring them back to our place and beat them in the manner we did. Must be my best Imps experience.

Least favourite : Although not the worst moment/most embarassing result in our history, the game which sticks in my mind was Bolton away in the FA Cup. A terrible journey getting there, queueing for ages as they only had one turnstile open, missing the kick off as a result, then being designated a seat right next to a section of their home fans who were only intent on shouting abuse and giving it the big 'un to us all game instead of actually watching the match. Can't say I really enjoyed the big day out and getting beat 4-0 didn't help (although it was to be expected I suppose).

Favourite : Burnley away. Everything about that trip was fantastic and I'm not sure the feeling when Raggett scored will ever be repeated for me.