York (a) - More Minstermen misery? | Vital Football

York (a) - More Minstermen misery?

pompeyrug

Alert Team
Not for us, for them!

I've absolutely nothing against York whatsoever but Pompey (as we look to quickly put that Plymouth defeat behind us) look to take this out on them.

Which would also see them relegated.

In all honesty I wouldn't wish 'misery' on anyone, and I mean anyone, but the pain York would feel (which will happen with them relegated whatever the outcome tonight) would then mean Pompey are feeling positive following the gutting defeat at Fratton from Saturday.

There's no way we should have lost to Argyle but it's time to move on; tonight we go to Bootham Crescent seeking that 'must' of a 3pts - a repeat of the thrashing we gave them at Frattton would do nicely, although 'simply' a win would be more than acceptable!

Automatic promotion would have pretty much been in our own hand had we won the game at the weekend, with Bristol Rovers, Accrington and Plymouth all needing to drop at least 3pts (which I wouldn't be ruling out at all mind!) this became much more difficult for Pompey.

Not out of the question, but with Pompey almost certainly now needing to win all of our remaining matches that's the thing we might not be as sure about for the Blues.

Basically all we can do is win tonight and see what the others do then take it from there!

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=565285' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game against York City this Tuesday.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?565268">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Looking at the fixtures some VERY interesting ones!

A win tonight and some going our way and you never know...play-offs all but certain now but I'm not quite chucking in the automatic promotion towel yet!

I am guessing the manager had/has a huge task in picking up the team's spirits for York if the players feel anything like as abject as most fans seemed to feel after Argyle. I think we need a good start to get that defeat out of our system. If not, then we may suffer an unwelcome hangover! PUP! PPU!

I'm fuming. f*cking dreadful - excuse my language. Expecting refunds for all fans who made the long, horrible trip.

Blue, I suspected that it might be difficult to get them up after that deflating defeat on Saturday and I take no pleasure in being possibly proved right. Mind you, it's not the first time we have been beaten by dross at the foot of the table. What now folks?

You were spot on mate. Players need to take a long, hard look at themselves because being beaten 3-1 to 23rd in the league, who are heading out of the division, is inexcusable. It's not just that, but the attitude was shocking. Only listened in on Express FM, but by the sounds of it, there was a complete lack of effort (particularly in the 1st half) and we were lucky not to be beaten by 6 or 7.

Once again, Pompey are bottling it. Okay, Chaplin didn't start but people wanted McNulty in, he started and (again, from what I've heard) was dreadful - losing the ball before both of their first two goals. I think we missed Burgess & Roberts tonight (his footballing brain and ability is unmatched in our squad).

Not the time to pick out individuals though (sorry McNulty, I do rate you highly), the defending was worse than Sunday League and we weren't interested. Can't blame Cook in my opinion, maybe this team isn't quite as good as we thought but it's still light years ahead of previous years and it does take time building a squad. I never thought we'd get out of this division easily, we have no divine right, and so it's proved.

I think Cook will learn from mistakes this summer (he is the man for the long term), ship out deadwood and bring in three more quality players. Namely looking at moving on Murphy, Freeman, Naismith, McGurk, Barton, Wikinson, Tubbs and probably Smith.

Okay, even I am starting to lose faith of promotion altogether as I worry about our mentality in pressure situations, i.e. play-offs, but people shouldn't make rash statements that Cook isn't good enough or even worse that the board don't know what they're doing. Trust me, the board are desperate to go up.

I have a horrible feeling about Saturday but we must try our best to believe or at least, see some reason! PUP.

Well the 'misery' wasn't meant to be ours was it.

If we bottled it at a side destined to go down what chance to we have in a play-off final...

POOR, POOR show - character, so often spoken about? Looked to be lacking on Tuesday!

I honestly think he needs to take them away for a day or two, forget about football. No, not as a reward but I think the weight of expectation and the pressure has got to them and they need to be away from the Portsmouth area for a while. They need to take stock and regroup otherwide this is all going to end badly (and not even in a glorious failure). Of course mathematically we are still in with a good chance of the play-offs, but the players are mindf*cked at the moment and the opposition will look to take advantage of that all day long!

After throwing away the game V. Plymouth this lot of highly paid (by League 2 standards)of bottlers, Little York, non league next season, outfought and outplayed our pathetic lot. This team has been assembled by Paul Cook, the board have given him unconditional backing in all ways and his team should have have been outplaying and out lasting little York , there is NO excuse for this gutless surrender, Gutless, and pathetic, they dont deserve the Pompey support, Just as well the remaining matches are already sold out, cos after flying the white flag against Plymouth, they have been even worse against York. If others dont agree, tough luck. :158: :158: :158: :158: :158: :158: :158: :158:

It was dire and as many of you have said, the players are bottling out. I overheard a York fan on the phone as I walked away form the stadium. He was telling a friend that every time they ball was up in the air they knew they would win it. Very true.

In goal Jones as usual kick the ball and prayed - terrible.

Westwood - I normally defend him but he was going on about the 'moaners'. Why shouldn't we moan with the crap we had to watch.

We can really win the play offs? No

So what happens next?

From what I heard, Jones was the only one to take any credit and prevented it from being a rugby score with some great saves. His kicking isn't very good, admittedly, but he is a good shot stopper at this level.

This all is about taking chances not in this games but previous results show this plenty attacking play but no end result.
how many games may we have won the Chaplin playing from the start top goal scorer sat on the bench

This all is about taking chances not in this games but previous results show this plenty attacking play but no end result.
how many games may we have won the Chaplin playing from the start top goal scorer sat on the bench

It is frustrating, it is not an isolated incident.. first half at the Daggers springs to mind in recent games and there have been many more. We do not have a divine right and we need to earn the right to play, I think Cook has made mistakes, the sheer volume of players we have had on loan and the huge turnover of players in the summer, hopefully he will learn but there have been way too many for a manager who likes to work with a small squad and they have been no better than the current players most of the time. Disappointing season really albeit in the play off spots and a punchers chance of promotion. For now we have to 'suck it and see' and hope that Cookie gets it right next season... there is plenty of room for improvement and I expect him and us to do better.

The problem now seems to be that in the play offs,(always hoping they dont bottle out of the last few games and miss them of course) whoever we play will be full of confidence and get stuck in, and when a team,any team does that our lot collapse like a match box thumped with a hammer. :9: :13: :21:

That team against Plymouth wouldn't have been the one I selected. BUT in light of the fact we had been on a winning run I can see why Cookie was keeping faith with a settled side.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?565291">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

All the stats from York City (3) vs (1) Pompey, Bootham Crescent, 19/04/16 Att:

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?565316">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Manager Paul Cook has reflected on last night's defeat to York City.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?565337">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Pompey being beaten at York on Tuesday all but ends our automatic promotion hopes. I think we'll be ok for this, but some might be concerned about the play-off chances now!

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?565341">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>