Worst interview ever | Vital Football

Worst interview ever

lewis1980

Vital Squad Member
Had an interview today, I'm fed up with the job I have and started looking for other positions.

Anyway, it couldn't have gone any worse, I struggled from start to finish and felt like an idiot after.

I had to reword every question so I understood what was being asked of me.

Really demoralising.

Anyone have any interview stories to cheer me up?

I went for an interview once for a car park attendant. I was sat in front of 3 people behind a desk as if I was applying to be an astronaut.

They asked me the question "what do you feel you could bring to the team?" It stumped me, as I'm not good at bullshitting on the spot. I sat there silent for what felt like 5 minutes as they waited for my answer. I just got up and walked out.

Fuckin' gayest question ever.

Tell you what I would do Lewis? Ring them for feedback, or talk it over with someone else as to why you think it went so badly. Get it 'out' so it doesn't build up with you and lead to nerves when you go to another one.

Also maybe have a think, were you an idiot or were they not interviewing you well?

Most of all, learn from it then think feck it and shake it off mate. We all have bad days... apart from me, I'm just brilliant.

I'll have feedback anyway. They were asking about things I had no answer to and couldn't blag. I really shouldn't have been put through for interview because it seemed to me that they were looking for someone with quite specific experience and nothing in my application (competency based) indicated I'd be right for the job. I really just wasn't a good fit.

It was the longest hour of my life.

Had one interview where I was asked to sell the chair I was sitting on to them. I was completely lost, I think I asked "do you want a chair?". Anyway needless to say I didn’t get the job. I've had one or two terrible interviews, sometimes getting the job sometimes not. I wouldn't let it worry you. If it is meant to be it will happen. If it doesn't it is probably because the job is shit in the first place. Some companies and their staff have very high opinions of themselves.

The worst interview I ever did was when I came here first. I was 25 at the time and I was applying for every English teaching job advertised. I got called for an interview in a really shitty English language centre in a shitty suburb. The woman who interviewed me was a total bitch to me. It turned out that they didn't have the capability of hiring an expat teacher. She could have just told me that at the start of the interview but instead tried to make out that that shitty centre was too good to hire me.

People are strange.

At university I applied to a grad scheme, got through the initial assments and had to do a "video interview" from home - this involves pre recorded questions popping up on your computer screen and you have to record your answers within 30 - 60 seconds. It went disasterously, it's so awkward talking to a blank computer, and as its all pre recorded you can't ask to reword the question or ask for time to think, just a horrible experience fair to say I didn't get the job.

Also had a few bad "group interviews" for summer jobs when I was still studying. I think the concept of them are stupid anyway, especially for minimum wage working part time in a shop type job. For those who don't know they get a bunch of applicants and ask them to do pointless team tasks like who can build objects (eg a tower or a bridge) out of the materials provided, usually sellotape and paper etc, followed by some sort of presentation on a product they sell.

Had one where there weren't enough applicants to split into even groups, so one of the employees / interviewers had to join one of the groups. He helped them to win all the tasks and obviously spent the whole time talking to them. Needless to say next time I went to that shop one of the guys from that group was working there.

I'm usually not too bad at face to face interviews, although for my first graduate interview I was quite nervous and tried to over compensate for it - they asked how well do I know the finance industry and I said 8 out of 10, next question who is the governor of the Bank of England.. No idea and I didn't get the job.. That one was my own fault but 2 weeks later got another interview for where I'm working now.

I think when I look at those interviews, deep down I know I either wasn't right for it, or never really 100% wanted the job anyway, and so far things are going alright for me as I had to wait and got something that suited me better. I'm sure the same will be for you to be honest

I went for an interview for management training at Safeway once. I was ill and going through the motions to be honest, had no intention of working in retail. Anyway, sat down with a group of others and the Safeway people brought round a test putting shapes to shapes and a scratch card multiple choice thing.

I walked out.

I didn't do 4 years at Uni to put up with that nonsense!

David-avfc, my eldest had 1 of those job interviews where you did the first part of the interview process by video interview. He said the same that it was awful.

He did get a face to face interview with the company has the agency he went through explained to them he had never done one before etc.

I don't think he got the job for the same company he applied too, as he was applying to a few then. He says he hopes he never has to go through that again to apply for a new job as in his line (software developer) they usually move companies every few years.

Meh! I haven't had an interview since I was in my 20's many moons ago, as always worked for myself since then, when I met the ex. I can't ado with bosses, so being your own boss solves that

Found out today i've got 2 more interviews at the same place for different jobs starting on even more money!

I remember one of my first interviews, i must have been about 18 - the interviewer, who i think was manager of the company said "where do you see yourself in 5 years time" so i said "in your job".

He looked pretty shocked but offered me the position and i turned him down.

For the job i'm in now, i was interviewed by 2 women, which in itself isn't a problem. Unfortunately for me, one of them had massive boobs and a low cut top. I was mesmerised for the entire interview. How she didn't know i was staring at her boobs is beyond me, maybe she did. I came away feeling ashamed of myself but was offered the job.

I've also turned up to two interviews, once in tracksuit bottoms for a professional position, and once still drunk from the night before and been offered both.

Weird how these things work out sometimes.

I did a group interview once for a job I didn't even want. When I showed up for the interview, the reception area was packed with other fresh grads. I should have walked out. That was a total waste of time.

I've done so many interviews for jobs I didn't even want.

Next interview done. Not too bad today although I still have that "I wish I'd said" feeling. 6/10

BodyButter - 4/8/2016 02:17

I did a group interview once for a job I didn't even want. When I showed up for the interview, the reception area was packed with other fresh grads. I should have walked out. That was a total waste of time.

I've done so many interviews for jobs I didn't even want.

Group interviews are the worst. I understand them sometimes, but half the time just seems like the person in charge of recruitment can't be bothered to work it out so they just invite everyone to the interview, who ever talks the loudest probably gets the job