Wolverhampton Wanderers-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Wolverhampton Wanderers-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Manchester City 3
FT Stats
Possession
Wolves 34.9% City 65.1%
Corners
Wolves 4 City 6
Offsides
Wolves 3 City 3
Fouls
Wolves 6 City 8
Cards
Wolves 0 City 3 Y (G Jesus, Mendy, Rodri)
On Target
Wolves 1 City 9
Woodwork
Wolves 0 City 0
Off Target
Wolves 9 City 5 (PL site has 10 Wolves shots, City 14 - City OS Wolves 5 shots City 3 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/58915

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/wolverhampton-wanderers-v-manchester-city

22:20
Stat attack
Wolves 1-3 Man City

Manchester City have now won 10 Premier League season-openers in a row, becoming the first team to achieve this in the competition.

In 2020, Manchester City have won more penalties than any other side in the Premier League (eight, scoring four).

Since the restart in June, Raheem Sterling has had a hand in 13 goals in 14 appearances for Manchester City (11 goals, 2 assists), with only Pierre-Emerick Abameyang registering more in that time (14).

MUEN
Player Ratings
Ederson 6, Walker 8, Stones 7, Ake 7, Mendy 6, Rodrigo 7, Fernandinho (C) 7, De Bruyne 9, Foden 8, Sterling 7, Jesus 7.
Substitutes
Torres (N/A) for Sterling, Mahrez, Otamendi, Liam Delap, Doyle, Bernabe.Steffen,

RECORDS
With that win we become the first Premier League team to win 10 consecutive opening-day games.

It means we have also equalled Aston Villa's top-flight record from between 1891-1900.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Manchester City 3
FT Stats
Possession
Wolves 34.9% City 65.1%
Corners
Wolves 4 City 6
Offsides
Wolves 3 City 3
Fouls
Wolves 6 City 8
Cards
Wolves 0 City 3 Y (G Jesus, Mendy, Rodri)
On Target
Wolves 1 City 9
Woodwork
Wolves 0 City 0
Off Target
Wolves 9 City 5 (PL site has 10 Wolves shots, City 14 - City OS Wolves 5 shots City 3 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/58915

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/wolverhampton-wanderers-v-manchester-city

how Wolves did not get a card for some of the stuff they dished out and the Ref let some of the tackles by Wolves go scot free.

Stat Attack
In 2020, Manchester City have won more penalties than any other side in the Premier League (eight, scoring four).

22:35
'It's encouraging to play well'
Wolves 1-3 Man City

Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne speaking to Sky Sports: "I think I touched it but I'm not sure to be honest. I was really tired at the time. Maybe because I start the new season with zero they give me this one.

"I think we played really well. Obviously in the second half there is going to be stages where it will be difficult because offensively they are strong.

"But we played secure and didn't take many risks. With only two weeks of training it was going to be difficult.

"It's obviously hard. It's a weird season. We know we need to start well. Wolves have been a bit of a bogey team for us in the last few seasons. So it's encouraging to play well. We know if the pace is the same as the last three years, it will be a hard job. We want to fight against them and we want to fight against them. We know we make it each other better and for me that is what sport is all about."

22:38
'I need to contribute in one way'
Wolves 1-3 Man City

More from Kevin de Bruyne to Sky Sports:
Feel more pressure to create goals in David Silva's absence?

"No I don't. David Silva was an incredible player for us. I cannot recreate what David does. I have to help my team the way I always try to do. Everybody has to play out their own quality. Of course it will be difficult because David was the master of tight spaces but I think we have people who can do the job. He will obviously be a miss inside and outside the pitch.

On his position on the pitch:

"I think it depends on the way the other team play. Wolves play with a back three so the manager wanted to push them high and play secure with the two defensive midfielders. We have so many attacking players so I can slot them in and they can do the rest.

On whether he will break Thierry Henry's assists record:

"I would prefer to have five goals and five assists and go away with the title. You can contribute a lot in different ways. i'm a midfielder but I know these days it's a lot about statistics. I need to contribute in one way or another so that's what i'm trying to do."

22:41
'We can improve on a lot'
Wolves 1-3 Man City

Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo speaking to Sky Sports: "The first half we didn't start very well. Man City Moved the ball well and created a lot of problems for us.

"We conceded the penalty and from then on it become much harder. In the second half we improved. We created a lot of moments and chances we could score from. We knew one moment could change everything. Very good second half for the team.

"We always have to give credit to our opponents because of the talent and the quality they have, but we should do better.

"Even in the second half we can improve on a lot of things. We changed and tried to adapt. We blocked City's possession through the middle. We were able to press and recover the ball. We had a lot of things to change and work out. Too bad we didn't finish with a different end to the game."

22:49
'It is just one game'
Wolves 1-3 Man City

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a good performance. We know how difficult it is. The game was good.

"It's always to try and start fast. Sometimes the opening is good and sometimes we need more time to get our best conditions but the start was good.

"The goal and in the second half - he [Phil Foden] played incredibly well. We are tired in our legs but in general we did a good game.

"The period that we are in and the situation that we had in these last two weeks, I expect that in some moments we suffer, but in general we control the game.

"Everyone was ready and did well. Of course it was important [to start like this] but of course it is just one game."

Sky Player ratings
Man City: Ederson (7), Walker (7), Stones (6), Ake (7), Mendy (5), Rodri (7), De Bruyne (9), Fernandinho (7), Foden (7), Jesus (7), Sterling (7).

Subs: Torres (n/a).

Man of the match: Kevin De Bruyne

https://www.skysports.com/football/wolves-vs-man-city/428856

I think this was a bit harsh on JS, he deserved a 7, could have done better with the goal scorer but then again no-one else challenge Jimenez either basically a free header and if you play fantasy football Traoré and Jimenez are good buys imo.