With all the top clubs in europe next season.... | Vital Football

With all the top clubs in europe next season....

Taricco the yid

Vital Champions League
in CL or EL could next season be our season to win the league?

I was going to say there should be no excuses but we are at wembley.

I truly believe that if the chavs had european football this season our name would have been on the trophy but they have had an injury free season and fresh most weeks.

If we were at the lane and added the 3 players we need and kept our best players then I think it would be hard to bet against us.

Until we go on a winning streak at Wembley I suppose we won't really know what will happen.

Fixtures are key here

We need a run of home games at the start of the season that are winnable

Playing in the charity Shield is important as well as it's a pre season game at "home"

The other big clubs already have deeper squads than us and will spend more than us . It's a case of do we ditch all the cups or concentrate on CL or EL. ? If we try and battle on all fronts we may fail on all as in previous seasons.

Nick Real Deal - 22/5/2017 07:40

The other big clubs already have deeper squads than us and will spend more than us . It's a case of do we ditch all the cups or concentrate on CL or EL. ? If we try and battle on all fronts we may fail on all as in previous seasons.

We simply don't have the squad size or depth to do well on all fronts - I'd still say that a good CL run has to be key, as well qualifying for it again next year - a cup would be great, but far more difficult than some think..

A new 'home' - the sale of Walker that may force us to change our preferred tactics, including the high line press - dealing with everything next season, won't be easy..

I agree but I have doubted our projected success before and we have surpassed what I thought.

Maybe this group is so good we can still challenge and even win something next season against all the odds.

Nick Real Deal - 22/5/2017 12:58

I agree but I have doubted our projected success before and we have surpassed what I thought.

Maybe this group is so good we can still challenge and even win something next season against all the odds.

TBH, I dont think wembley will make much of a difference against the mid and bottom clubs as we have to much quality. I still think we could do it next season. It would be pretty good if we managed to do it playing at wembley.

Taricco the yid - 22/5/2017 13:16

Nick Real Deal - 22/5/2017 12:58

TBH, I dont think wembley will make much of a difference against the mid and bottom clubs as we have to much quality. I still think we could do it next season. It would be pretty good if we managed to do it playing at wembley.

I lost count last season how many times when we were taking a set-piece or pressing high up the pitch with a high back line that Walker flew back to close them down or cut the counter attacker off - assuming he goes the only other that could take over that defensive duty is Rose - who also tends to do it well, but Rose is a very slow starter when coming back from injury and so I suspect we maybe exposed against many teams if we don't drop our back 3/4 5- 10 yards deeper at Wembley..

As always, I guess much will depend on who we bring in during the summer - but for certain we'll need to replace Walker electric pace.

^ Which further reinforces that we need pace because our new stadium pitch is virtually the same size as Wembley.

The Wembley 'effect' being a disadvantage to us, is a load of nonsense.

When we have played there and don't do well, does that mean that the other team(s) who we have just played play at Wembley every week, or are used to a Wembley sized pitch? I don't think so.

Also as we have a small pitch and thereby almost all other pitches in the PL are bigger, how is it that when we have gone to those grounds this season we have been winning?

Stop making excuses.

BA. Agree when spurs don't win all the excuse's come out. Spurs have players worth 100m but can't win a pot. When you question the tactics of MP you get slated. Someone called MP a legend, that's how low the majority of spurs fans expectations has fallen. Spurs have a brilliant group and i think have been under achieving in terms of the cups which would seem easier to win than the league.

Ghanahotspur - 22/5/2017 19:28

BA. Agree when spurs don't win all the excuse's come out. Spurs have players worth 100m but can't win a pot. When you question the tactics of MP you get slated. Someone called MP a legend, that's how low the majority of spurs fans expectations has fallen. Spurs have a brilliant group and i think have been under achieving in terms of the cups which would seem easier to win than the league.
Quite correct Ghana, the other one is how the rest of the PL and the entire media all hate us and conspire against us to mke it easier for others to win the title ...... lol

Winning trophies are what matter, and this team has the capability, but Porky is a v-e-r-y slow learner. When push comes to shove, his brain can't cope, and the truly bizarre comes out - Son as a wing-back in an FA Cup semi?!?!

I agree that Wembley pitch size is an excuse. I think it is more of an issue with not being at the Lane and the atmosphere is poo with crowd too far away. l also think there is an element of other teams make the most of their rare appearance there. I personally don't think we prepared ourselves too well for those matches and I fully expect Poch to address that. After all, Poch has already addressed other weaknesses, e.g., year-end collapse, earlier subs, more proactive from the touch line, etc.. It's how well he does in the transfer window and hopefully avoid a slow start. I said earlier in the season that all those draws will come to haunt us at the end.....too many of our key players started slow.

I heard today and was reminded with Kane out injured we drew 3 winnable games. 6 points potentially dropped. Might have made the title race more interesting.

We may have to adapt our style and not depend on wing back defending as much as has been said.