Winter's summer window pick... | Vital Football

Winter's summer window pick...

Spursex

Alert Team

more here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...hitect-ange-is-building-a-new-spurs-j9bvp3c86

Micky van de Ven: Why Spurs defender is my signing of season so far​

Amid array of impressive summer signings by Premier League clubs, the Dutchman is the one who has stood out most​

Henry Winter
, Chief Football Writer

Monday October 09 2023, 8.00pm, The Times

There was a moment in the north London derby when Micky van de Ven hunted down Reiss Nelson with ferocious pace. Nelson is no slouch, and had a head start, but Van de Ven flew across the Emirates grass with astonishing speed to dispossess him.

There was another moment, a week later at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, when Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah was trying to get away down the left but turned back when faced by the mobile wall that is Van de Ven.

Spurs’ calm, swift centre back recruited from Wolfsburg for £34.5 million is proving to be the signing of the Premier League season to date.

The 22-year-old Dutchman has had an uplifting impact on team-mates and destructive effect on opponents, shredding their lungs and spirit with his rapidity and determination. It is testament to Van de Ven’s qualities that he can legitimately be hailed as the most influential investment in the window. And there are several other contenders, not least his colleagues James Maddison and Guglielmo Vicario, let alone the other buys of the summer such as Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse, Dominik Szoboszlai, Moussa Diaby, Rasmus Hojlund, Jérémy Doku and Cole Palmer.

Spurs supporters may point to Maddison as even more of a catalyst. The £40 million man has supplied five assists and two goals in nine appearances in all competitions, and the creativity from No 10 lost after Harry Kane left for Bayern Munich. (Spurs still need a No 9 to replace Kane.) Maddison’s joyous football and risk-taking embodies “Angeball”. But Van de Ven’s influence has transformed Spurs’ defence (and not forgetting he scored the winner with his quick feet at Luton Town on Saturday).
He has strengthened the left side of Spurs defence, dovetailing with the excellent Destiny Udogie (a 2022 signing before going out on loan). He has strengthened the right side of Spurs’ defence, communicating well with, and calming, Cristian Romero, whose partnership with Van de Ven is proving the rock on which “Architect Ange” Postecoglou builds the new Spurs.

Van de Ven has completed 809 of the 810 minutes of Spurs’ season, and been booked only twice, decent for a defender, for colliding with Sheffield United’s goalkeeper, Wes Foderingham, and for a foul on Fulham’s Harry Wilson. Work is still required on his defending at set pieces but he arrived only on August 8 so missed pre-season under Postecoglou. He’ll get even better.
Debates such as “are Spurs better off without Kane?” are specious and disrespectful. They could still do with his goals. A more valid discussion would conclude that they have spent wisely the £86.4 million received for Kane (or £82 million if you believe Uli Hoeness, Bayern’s honorary president). Van de Ven, Maddison and Vicario cost a combined £91.7 million.

Vicario was only £17.2 million from Empoli. His double save at the near post against Liverpool, first from Cody Gakpo, then getting up to repel Andrew Robertson’s follow-up, showed his reflexes. Rather than accept team-mates’ congratulations, Vicario organised his defence for the imminent corner, demonstrating his focus.

The Italian has a sense of humour too. On Saturday, after the Van de Ven-inspired win at Kenilworth Road, Vicario posted on Instagram: “Thanks for all the birthday wishes, sorry I couldn’t get back to you, I was busy, we had three points to bring home. Best birthday ever.”

Buoyed by their shrewd business in the window, and Postecoglou’s guidance, Spurs are top of the Premier League — above Rice and Arsenal on goals scored. Rice has brought more solidity to Arsenal’s midfield, more leadership, more defensive nous and execution, and will develop under Mikel Arteta into a more attacking threat at times.

Arsenal are slightly less expansive this season, but there is no denying that Rice’s passing range will improve, and he gives them that authority in the most challenging games, as against City on Sunday. William Saliba was man of the match, marshalling Erling Haaland, but Rice was close.

Josko Gvardiol has too many strengths not to prosper at City, but Doku, a £55 million capture from Rennes, has quickly made more of a splash with his pace, his two goals and one assist in eight games. But it’s still bemusing why City let Palmer go. Yes, £42.5 million from Chelsea is exceptional money for a home-grown player but Palmer was still good enough to feature 41 times for City, trusted enough by Pep Guardiola to start at home to Chelsea in May, and start and score against Sevilla in the Uefa Super Cup in August. Palmer’s a talent, still only 21, and has brought instant positivity, energy and creativity to Chelsea’s right.

West Ham United certainly used well the money received for Rice, notably on Ward-Prowse, who has supplied six assists and two goals since his £30 million switch from Southampton. He really should be West Ham captain, not Kurt Zouma. Their team-mate, Mohammed Kudus, £38 million from Ajax, has three goals in eight games and challenges Michail Antonio hard for the starting position. Edson Álvarez, £35 million from Ajax, already looks embedded in midfield tactically and in the team emotionally, although he gets booked too easily.

Kudus got West Ham’s late equaliser against Newcastle United, for whom much is expected of Sandro Tonali, £60 million from AC Milan. He started brilliantly but is still finding his feet.
The fact that Jürgen Klopp kept Szoboszlai, his £60 million signing from RB Leipzig, on for nine-man Liverpool against Spurs showed his appreciation of the Hungarian’s stamina and authority. Ryan Gravenberch and, doubtless eventually, Alexis Mac Allister will settle in and shine but Szoboszlai is already a firm Kop favourite.

Diaby hit the ground not so much running as sprinting at Villa. The £51.9 million winger from Bayer Leverkusen has immediately given Villa an extra dimension with his pace, three assists and two goals in eight Premier League games. Up at Old Trafford, Rasmus Hojlund has been a rare ray of light in the clouds. He is only 20 but possesses that tough mindset and work ethic to shine at Manchester United. The centre forward will prove a smart buy for £72 million from Atalanta. But, for now, Van de Ven looks the best value of the boys of summer.

more here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...hitect-ange-is-building-a-new-spurs-j9bvp3c86

Micky van de Ven: Why Spurs defender is my signing of season so far​

Amid array of impressive summer signings by Premier League clubs, the Dutchman is the one who has stood out most​

Henry Winter
, Chief Football Writer

Monday October 09 2023, 8.00pm, The Times

There was a moment in the north London derby when Micky van de Ven hunted down Reiss Nelson with ferocious pace. Nelson is no slouch, and had a head start, but Van de Ven flew across the Emirates grass with astonishing speed to dispossess him.

There was another moment, a week later at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, when Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah was trying to get away down the left but turned back when faced by the mobile wall that is Van de Ven.

Spurs’ calm, swift centre back recruited from Wolfsburg for £34.5 million is proving to be the signing of the Premier League season to date.

The 22-year-old Dutchman has had an uplifting impact on team-mates and destructive effect on opponents, shredding their lungs and spirit with his rapidity and determination. It is testament to Van de Ven’s qualities that he can legitimately be hailed as the most influential investment in the window. And there are several other contenders, not least his colleagues James Maddison and Guglielmo Vicario, let alone the other buys of the summer such as Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse, Dominik Szoboszlai, Moussa Diaby, Rasmus Hojlund, Jérémy Doku and Cole Palmer.

Spurs supporters may point to Maddison as even more of a catalyst. The £40 million man has supplied five assists and two goals in nine appearances in all competitions, and the creativity from No 10 lost after Harry Kane left for Bayern Munich. (Spurs still need a No 9 to replace Kane.) Maddison’s joyous football and risk-taking embodies “Angeball”. But Van de Ven’s influence has transformed Spurs’ defence (and not forgetting he scored the winner with his quick feet at Luton Town on Saturday).
He has strengthened the left side of Spurs defence, dovetailing with the excellent Destiny Udogie (a 2022 signing before going out on loan). He has strengthened the right side of Spurs’ defence, communicating well with, and calming, Cristian Romero, whose partnership with Van de Ven is proving the rock on which “Architect Ange” Postecoglou builds the new Spurs.

Van de Ven has completed 809 of the 810 minutes of Spurs’ season, and been booked only twice, decent for a defender, for colliding with Sheffield United’s goalkeeper, Wes Foderingham, and for a foul on Fulham’s Harry Wilson. Work is still required on his defending at set pieces but he arrived only on August 8 so missed pre-season under Postecoglou. He’ll get even better.
Debates such as “are Spurs better off without Kane?” are specious and disrespectful. They could still do with his goals. A more valid discussion would conclude that they have spent wisely the £86.4 million received for Kane (or £82 million if you believe Uli Hoeness, Bayern’s honorary president). Van de Ven, Maddison and Vicario cost a combined £91.7 million.

Vicario was only £17.2 million from Empoli. His double save at the near post against Liverpool, first from Cody Gakpo, then getting up to repel Andrew Robertson’s follow-up, showed his reflexes. Rather than accept team-mates’ congratulations, Vicario organised his defence for the imminent corner, demonstrating his focus.

The Italian has a sense of humour too. On Saturday, after the Van de Ven-inspired win at Kenilworth Road, Vicario posted on Instagram: “Thanks for all the birthday wishes, sorry I couldn’t get back to you, I was busy, we had three points to bring home. Best birthday ever.”

Buoyed by their shrewd business in the window, and Postecoglou’s guidance, Spurs are top of the Premier League — above Rice and Arsenal on goals scored. Rice has brought more solidity to Arsenal’s midfield, more leadership, more defensive nous and execution, and will develop under Mikel Arteta into a more attacking threat at times.

Arsenal are slightly less expansive this season, but there is no denying that Rice’s passing range will improve, and he gives them that authority in the most challenging games, as against City on Sunday. William Saliba was man of the match, marshalling Erling Haaland, but Rice was close.

Josko Gvardiol has too many strengths not to prosper at City, but Doku, a £55 million capture from Rennes, has quickly made more of a splash with his pace, his two goals and one assist in eight games. But it’s still bemusing why City let Palmer go. Yes, £42.5 million from Chelsea is exceptional money for a home-grown player but Palmer was still good enough to feature 41 times for City, trusted enough by Pep Guardiola to start at home to Chelsea in May, and start and score against Sevilla in the Uefa Super Cup in August. Palmer’s a talent, still only 21, and has brought instant positivity, energy and creativity to Chelsea’s right.

West Ham United certainly used well the money received for Rice, notably on Ward-Prowse, who has supplied six assists and two goals since his £30 million switch from Southampton. He really should be West Ham captain, not Kurt Zouma. Their team-mate, Mohammed Kudus, £38 million from Ajax, has three goals in eight games and challenges Michail Antonio hard for the starting position. Edson Álvarez, £35 million from Ajax, already looks embedded in midfield tactically and in the team emotionally, although he gets booked too easily.

Kudus got West Ham’s late equaliser against Newcastle United, for whom much is expected of Sandro Tonali, £60 million from AC Milan. He started brilliantly but is still finding his feet.
The fact that Jürgen Klopp kept Szoboszlai, his £60 million signing from RB Leipzig, on for nine-man Liverpool against Spurs showed his appreciation of the Hungarian’s stamina and authority. Ryan Gravenberch and, doubtless eventually, Alexis Mac Allister will settle in and shine but Szoboszlai is already a firm Kop favourite.

Diaby hit the ground not so much running as sprinting at Villa. The £51.9 million winger from Bayer Leverkusen has immediately given Villa an extra dimension with his pace, three assists and two goals in eight Premier League games. Up at Old Trafford, Rasmus Hojlund has been a rare ray of light in the clouds. He is only 20 but possesses that tough mindset and work ethic to shine at Manchester United. The centre forward will prove a smart buy for £72 million from Atalanta. But, for now, Van de Ven looks the best value of the boys of summer.
I would tend to agree. He's the perfect defensive partner for Romero & has all the attributes to succeed. He's even better than i thought he was & i already knew he was pretty good.

Madders will bag most of the headlines & Brennan Johnson will be exciting to watch but at this stage in the season he's definitely the one to watch.

PS Vicario isn't too shabby either.

I would tend to agree. He's the perfect defensive partner for Romero & has all the attributes to succeed. He's even better than i thought he was & i already knew he was pretty good.

Madders will bag most of the headlines & Brennan Johnson will be exciting to watch but at this stage in the season he's definitely the one to watch.

PS Vicario isn't too shabby either.

We do not have a pusillanimous midfield anymore.

I think that's overly harsh, we didn't before, but Cunte's negative grid tactical set up(back, sideways, sideways, back) and inflexibility meant that more often than not, they were simply out-numbered.

That's what I said. Only much more eloquently.

That's what I said. Only much more eloquently.

I think you've used it contextually wrong then; you could describe Conte like that, not the players: they played to instruction.

weak and cowardly (= not brave); frightened of taking risks:
He's too pusillanimous to stand up to his opponents.

Synonyms
chicken child's word

cowardly

craven formal

fainthearted

lily-livered literary

timid

timorous literary

weak-kneed informal disapproving

yellow (NOT BRAVE) informal

I think you've used it contextually wrong then; you could describe Conte like that, not the players: they played to instruction.

Synonyms
chicken child's word

cowardly

craven formal

fainthearted

lily-livered literary

timid

timorous literary

I used it correctly.

Synonyms
chicken child's word

cowardly

craven formal

fainthearted

lily-livered literary

timid

timorous literary

Weak and ineffectual.

I've been massively impressed by him and Udogie. When I watched Vicario in our opener, I figured I'd age rapidly this year ... but he's been outstanding since.

Great article. Thanks for sharing. What followed between 80 and Ex went off piste, but cracked me up. I do wish I had read further down before going off and Googling 80's big, impressive word, though!

I dunno
I just think we've done pretty well in our signings lately.
By that I include even the Paratici signings.
When you consider
Udogie
Bentancur
Kulu
Biss
Romero
Then VDV
Madders
BJ
Even Porro and Emerson are doing well
There have been a few, 'questionables' but I still think we are on the right track.
There is indeed a lot of outward movement required for my money
Dier, Lloris, Davies, Sess, Peri, Hoj, (maybe) LoCeslo and Skipp.
Get 3 in in January and a further 4 in the, Summer.

I dunno
I just think we've done pretty well in our signings lately.
By that I include even the Paratici signings.
When you consider
Udogie
Bentancur
Kulu
Biss
Romero
Then VDV
Madders
BJ
Even Porro and Emerson are doing well
There have been a few, 'questionables' but I still think we are on the right track.
There is indeed a lot of outward movement required for my money
Dier, Lloris, Davies, Sess, Peri, Hoj, (maybe) LoCeslo and Skipp.
Get 3 in in January and a further 4 in the, Summer.

I think we can be confident that this will happen over the next two windows, but I very much doubt LoCo or Skippy will be part of that exodus.

I think we can be confident that this will happen over the next two windows, but I very much doubt LoCo or Skippy will be part of that exodus.
I cant weigh up LoCelso. He never plays. He goes away with his country and plays. He comes back he is either injured or never plays.

Surely with tiredness and injuries he should have seen some game time by now?

Or is he away with argentina to show he is fit, work on his fitness so he can return and start playing his part. The guy still has something to offer but he needs to be on the pitch first.

Well I was caught hook line n sinker, had to Google them 2 bloody words, which I ave never heard before, from that you can see the world I live in, Lol!

PUSILLANIMOUS...Weak, Cowardly, Lack of Courage or Determination, Timid.
A bit of a hard way to describe last seasons midfield 80, considering they were always out numbered.

SESQUIPEDALIAN...Some one who over uses Big Words lol!

MMMM! can just about say these words let alone use em in my vocabulary. LOL!

It feels weird and slightly unnerving to finally be in a position as a Spurs fan where we have genuine depth.
OK, not all over the park, but we now have players like Skippy and LoCelso (good players) being benched as backups to exceptional players.

Have we lucked out in this moment or are we seeing some really astute scouting coming to fruition?

Either way, i bloody love it!!
COYS!