Windass | Page 6 | Vital Football

Windass

I think Windass has been a huge disapointment since we paid so much for him. But to be honest i actually do see something buried deep down in him but the challenge is getting it out of him consistently.

His pace willingness to run with the ball and movement is all quite good, he has a decent eye for a pass, he's very fit and works hard.

But his finishing and final ball need a lot of work and the lad needs to be more physcially aggressive. He is quite tall and well built but as soft and lightweight as you will ever see. For his frame and size he could easily be stronger on the ball but he just either bottles going in or allows himself to be man handled so easily - he needs some of his dads battling spirit.

If the coaches can work on getting him to embrace the physical side of things and then his composure in the final third we'd have a player. But that will be a lot of work.

If Windass even just finished the sitters he missed he'd comfortably have scored at least another 5 goals and probably won us the games against Villa, Ipswich, Millwall and Reading at least giving us another 11 points or so - and then we'd be sitting just outside the play offs and calling him a great signing. But at the same time Windass is utterly not suited to our long ball game and the majority of his time in the central attacking rolls he's had the ball pumped over his head and zero support. My reading is Windass is a Micahel Owen type player who wants to play off the shoulder of the last man and use his pace to get in behind teams onto through balls making 1 on 1s with the keeper and we've not given him anything like that to work with. If we ever return to passing football Windass in the centre might start to shine.

We've seen against Bristol, West Brom and Blackburn at home on his day he is capable of being a very good player for us (when we played football rather than hoof ball) - so i do think the ability is in there and the attitude is right - he's just bloody dopey on the pitch and needs to toughen up. Quite frankly we've got no chance of getting our money back on him on present form so we need to get more out of him, so hopefully we can work with him and get the best out of him eventually.

Last edited:
Best he looked of what I have seen of Windyarse was against Blackburn at home when he had a cracker. Maybe it was the way the team played or the way we set up that night but he did look good.

His qualities are that he has pace to run for through balls and can pressure defenders to make mistakes, thats it. He has pace but dribbles like a todler so when hes on the ball he instantly gets closed down. Shooting is abysmal, Grigg and Evans have missed a couple sitters but Windass has missed over a handful. Can be in a decent position from time to time but he cant shoot and cant dribble so its pointless.

Didn’t used to mind him because he offers something different to the others. But now....he can piss off for this and this alone.

Biggest shock in FA cup history ?

Can't believe people are so sensitive. He was clearly just having a laugh, particularly with his team mates if you look at the responses from McManaman etc. They had probably been having a laugh about it and carried on on social media.

His qualities are that he has pace to run for through balls and can pressure defenders to make mistakes, thats it. He has pace but dribbles like a todler so when hes on the ball he instantly gets closed down. Shooting is abysmal, Grigg and Evans have missed a couple sitters but Windass has missed over a handful. Can be in a decent position from time to time but he cant shoot and cant dribble so its pointless.

He has no pace.

I think Windass has been a huge disapointment since we paid so much for him. But to be honest i actually do see something buried deep down in him but the challenge is getting it out of him consistently.

His pace willingness to run with the ball and movement is all quite good, he has a decent eye for a pass, he's very fit and works hard.

But his finishing and final ball need a lot of work and the lad needs to be more physcially aggressive. He is quite tall and well built but as soft and lightweight as you will ever see. For his frame and size he could easily be stronger on the ball but he just either bottles going in or allows himself to be man handled so easily - he needs some of his dads battling spirit.

If the coaches can work on getting him to embrace the physical side of things and then his composure in the final third we'd have a player. But that will be a lot of work.

If Windass even just finished the sitters he missed he'd comfortably have scored at least another 5 goals and probably won us the games against Villa, Ipswich, Millwall and Reading at least giving us another 11 points or so - and then we'd be sitting just outside the play offs and calling him a great signing. But at the same time Windass is utterly not suited to our long ball game and the majority of his time in the central attacking rolls he's had the ball pumped over his head and zero support. My reading is Windass is a Micahel Owen type player who wants to play off the shoulder of the last man and use his pace to get in behind teams onto through balls making 1 on 1s with the keeper and we've not given him anything like that to work with. If we ever return to passing football Windass in the centre might start to shine.

We've seen against Bristol, West Brom and Blackburn at home on his day he is capable of being a very good player for us (when we played football rather than hoof ball) - so i do think the ability is in there and the attitude is right - he's just bloody dopey on the pitch and needs to toughen up. Quite frankly we've got no chance of getting our money back on him on present form so we need to get more out of him, so hopefully we can work with him and get the best out of him eventually.

Perhaps with the addition of Clarke we may see him getting on to more knock downs and being played in more. Maybe that was what PC wanted from Vaughan, a player able to hold up the ball and bring other players on, but Vaughan was unable to produce the goods. No doubt we will find out in the coming weeks.