Will Scally stick with the Gills? | Vital Football

Will Scally stick with the Gills?

chris who

Vital Champions League
I was wondering if Scally might move on as the club cuts costs as all clubs will have to.It has often be said that Scally earns his money. Only people who have had that sort of job would know how much it is worth perhaps. But the fact remains he is one of our highest earners .If the club are going to survive we need to cut the non playing staff to the bone.Scally can hardly ask people to work as volunteers or lower wages while taking a fat cheque himself.Finding a buyer now is going to be near impossible. So I am not sure what the answer is I only see a great big question mark.

Finding a buyer now is going to be near impossible. So I am not sure what the answer is I only see a great big question mark.

So why the question as a title? How can Scally not “stick with Gills”? You say yourself there won’t be buyers lining up. And he can’t just walk away. It’s his job, his income, his life.

However, in the current climate may now be willing to sell and not retain a controlling interest, which seems to be the stumbling block over any previous potential sale.

Personally, I’d sooner he stay. Whatever anyone says, he has kept us solvent and a going concern as well as being competitive for 25 years. Not many other football owners out there have done that. As said many times (by me anyway) I’d rather have him than probably 80% of the other football club owners out there.

I was wondering if Scally might move on as the club cuts costs as all clubs will have to.It has often be said that Scally earns his money. Only people who have had that sort of job would know how much it is worth perhaps. But the fact remains he is one of our highest earners .If the club are going to survive we need to cut the non playing staff to the bone.Scally can hardly ask people to work as volunteers or lower wages while taking a fat cheque himself.Finding a buyer now is going to be near impossible. So I am not sure what the answer is I only see a great big question mark.

I think a lot of the other ‘Scally out’ mob will be equally as frustrated as you sound in this post.

I think he will definitely stick with the gills. Not only is it a decent earner for him but I also believe he has the clubs best interests at heart. I don't always agree with him (although been a while since he has done/said anything bad) but never doubted that he always did what he thought was best for GFC.

I also think the new stadium is his big pay day and retirement plan. Get the mythical investor in, do the new ground and somehow tied into that deal would be the lump sum pension package.

He's alright scally. Not perfect but just look at Charlton to see what we could have got.

I think he will definitely stick with the gills. Not only is it a decent earner for him.
It was. But I can't see how he is going to make enough money to cover the cost of a league one squad let alone the money he earns on top.

So why the question as a title? How can Scally not “stick with Gills”? You say yourself there won’t be buyers lining up. And he can’t just walk away. It’s his job, his income, his life.

However, in the current climate may now be willing to sell and not retain a controlling interest, which seems to be the stumbling block over any previous potential sale.

Personally, I’d sooner he stay. Whatever anyone says, he has kept us solvent and a going concern as well as being competitive for 25 years. Not many other football owners out there have done that. As said many times (by me anyway) I’d rather have him than probably 80% of the other football club owners out there.
Medway is already in a bit of a mess economy wise.Scally is still with us because of the income he earns .I can't see any chance that that will have stopped in the last few months. The end result of this for all clubs at our level will be smaller crowds regardless of how long the Covid 19 pandemic lasts .Scally needs us to stay as a league club to earn a income at all .That will cost wages wise .Perhaps I am wrong and we will get 5 or 6 thousand every other week ad soon as crowds are allowed back.Personally I can't see it.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think Scally is in it for the money (consultancy fee) or actually gets that much compared with going rates; besides, no-one knows what outlays he might have to offset his fee income. I think his real goal is the odd million he could get if the Club is sold; he hasn't stuck around all these years to throw that opportunity away surely? He ain't going nowhere.

I'd agree that Scally will stick around while ever it looks as if our level of football can be properly revived. He has money in the game and has invested far too much time, energy, emotion and to walk away at the first sound of gunfire. What we can be equally sure of is that he will move swiftly to make radical changes, if it cannot be revived in its old form. We could do with some good news soon and if any senior players are offered something and commit then that would be a start.

I suspect he will get his priorities right.

Read into that what you will 😉
The problem is a struggling side will bring in even less cash so it could well be a situation with no chance of getting the sort of income he has previously enjoyed.

Mark- bang on about Charlton mate, what a disaster their recent owners have turned out to be.

Given what is going on I'd rather have Paul at the helm than a new owner. He knows the club inside out.

Mark- bang on about Charlton mate, what a disaster their recent owners have turned out to be.

Given what is going on I'd rather have Paul at the helm than a new owner. He knows the club inside out.

Not just Charlton. Don't forget

Francesco Becchetti at Leyton Orient (not just because he kicked Hess)
Sisu Capital at Coventry
The Oystons at Blackpool
Ken Richardson at Doncaster
The Venky family of Blackburn
Alexandre Gaydamak, Ali al-Faraj, Balram Chainrai and Vladimir Antonov at Portsmouth (I had to google all those names)
Peter Ridsdale almost bankrupted Leeds United

There`s only one person who knows the answer to the OP question. Like others, i`d imagine that PS would prefer to stick around and have GFC as a going concern. But, if financial pressure, which could be huge - we don`t know, makes sticking around too difficult, then now or soon, would be a good ( justifiable) time to depart for an owner seeking to dilute any sense of moral commitment he might, or might not, feel.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by stick with the Gills chris.

Do you mean winding the company up and putting houses on the site ?

I suppose that is a possibility is the company is no longer viable as a business.
The only asset is the property.

I can't imagine there are any buyers out there looking to purchase a mediocre, provincial league one football club.
Given the current circumstances, he'd be hard pushed to give it away.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by stick with the Gills chris.

Do you mean winding the company up and putting houses on the site ?

I suppose that is a possibility is the company is no longer viable as a business.
The only asset is the property.

I can't imagine there are any buyers out there looking to purchase a mediocre, provincial league one football club.
Given the current circumstances, he'd be hard pushed to give it away.

I'll have the club if it's being given away!