Will Grigg's miss yesterday | Vital Football

Will Grigg's miss yesterday

Grigg missed a few supposedly easy goals for us in div 1.
Then again scored some crackers. The one against City, the 1st goal against West Ham and the winner at Doncaster to name a few.

We’ve seen a few of those missed opportunities with us, for some reason it’s like he just doesn’t commit fully in the box. That said I’d happily have him back.

I don’t recall him missing many chances to be honest .....his biggest failing when he was off his game was a seeming lack of involvement ...an inability to force his way into a game if the chances weren’t flowing ....but he doesn’t have the size and strength of a big centre forward or the ‘aggressive nutter’ traits of a smaller one (J Garner 😏).

Missing that sitter yesterday looks typical of a nervous player, currently devoid of any self confidence.....whatever doubts there were about him at Championship level, his record in this division over several seasons is very good. He isn’t yet old enough to be over the hill and so I think he is either lacking fitness but more likely he is simply at the wrong club where the staff and supporters just don’t rate him....and never have.....

The move has been a disaster for Grigg and Sunderland - considering at the time Sunderland were playing a more physical long ball game with a target man like Wyke he was an odd signing considering that has never been his game.

I thought at the time that we did the right thing selling for the price we got, but I still feel sorry for Grigg himself as he didn't really want to go and with the form he has been in for 18 months he must be miserable as he's gone from being a fan favourite here to being a flop there.

I think John was right in his earlier post about Cook turning up at Sunderland in the upcoming months and maybe giving him a chance to turn it around.

Sunderland are probably the one club Cook would drop back into League One for. A laughing stock for years, but still a genuine sleeping giant. I think he'd relish the opportunity of trying to get them back on their feet in the same way he did Portsmouth.

I don’t recall him missing many chances to be honest.

I do
I can remember saying to my mates in the close season after Caldwell's promotion that I thought he'd struggle at a higher level because he didn't seem to have that extra yard of pace & because he'd had plenty of games In Lge1 that first season where he'd needed 5 or 6 chances before he'd score one & that he wouldn't get anywhere near the same number of chances in the Championship.
There's also a reason why O'Neill didn't choose him as a starter & even toyed with leaving him at home for the Euro's in favour of some Scottish Champ or Lge 1 player, and I suspect it's coz he could see some of the above in him

I do
I can remember saying to my mates in the close season after Caldwell's promotion that I thought he'd struggle at a higher level because he didn't seem to have that extra yard of pace & because he'd had plenty of games In Lge1 that first season where he'd needed 5 or 6 chances before he'd score one

MB ...I wasn’t arguing about how good he was in the Championship or for N Ireland ...the point is he ought to be good enough for Sunderland at the level they are currently playing.

His last 3 full seasons at L1level he scored 64 in 127 ...a goal every other game ? ...if he needed 5 or 6 chances to score all of them he must have played in far more creative sides than I can remember seeing.
The point about him having no pace is pretty valid and that in tandem with his lack of physicality is why I think games pass him by at Championship level...but right now and over the past 12 months his chin must be on the floor

MB ...I wasn’t arguing about how good he was in the Championship or for N Ireland ...the point is he ought to be good enough for Sunderland at the level they are currently playing.

His last 3 full seasons at L1level he scored 64 in 127 ...a goal every other game ? ...if he needed 5 or 6 chances to score all of them he must have played in far more creative sides than I can remember seeing.
The point about him having no pace is pretty valid and that in tandem with his lack of physicality is why I think games pass him by at Championship level...but right now and over the past 12 months his chin must be on the floor

I know but I was commenting that he quite often did need that many chances. He quite often didn't as well but at Latics he could get away with those games where he missed a few coz we knew if he persevered he’d score.
Sunderland fans aren’t generally known for that tolerance and couple with his big price tag, being signed by a manager who wasn’t popular and initially being played in a system that didn’t suit his skill set, his confidence has plummeted and is affecting his performance.

I always said that about Ellington. He scored his goals in gluts and could go through some pretty barren spells where h couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. In general though the fans didn’t get on his back, but he went to West Brom with a big price tag and with lots of fan fare and when he didn’t hit the ground running, they got on his back, his head dropped and he was never the same player