Will anyone own up to hoarding? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Will anyone own up to hoarding?

What exactly is hoarding?

If we’re talking about idiots going out and buying four packs of loo roll in a panic then I would be surprised and disappointed that anyone on here had done so.

Personally I think anyone doing that is in a very small minority, maybe 3 or 4%.
No, I don't think that that is true, I went to Hempstead Valley yesterday to get Animal Crossing (for my son, honest). Sainsburys had a toilet roll delivery, as most people in the centre had 2 big packs (18 rolls) each. If they were a couple, they had 4 between them, and a lot of people only had toilet rolls. The hoarding is real, some people must have enough for a year, and they will probably get more tomorrow.

I think the Venn diagram cross over of people that hoard and people that moan about hoarders is very large!

My opinion has definitely changed the last 2 days - I was worried that selfish people were putting the old and vulnerable at risk by hoarding, but my observation is that it is the old that are at the shops 7am clearing the shelves (old guy before me in the bakers spent 8 quid on apple turnovers!!).

I undertake a 2 mile power walk everyday to try to shed some of my flab and I have always tended to pop in to the Sainsburys Local on my normal route, just to keep Milk topped up, etc.

My proudest moment was in the middle of the week when - lo behold - they suddenly had three packets of loo roll left and I only took one. Really proud of myself !

True story.:halo:

"disgusting hoarders, I was up early so I decided to go to Lidl to get a few bits, you should have seen the queue!. And this was 2 hours before the shop opened!! By the time it did open, there must have been a hundred people behind me. And there was nothing on the shelves. I saw a poor old girl in tears as I took the last 4 bags of flour. Selfish idiots etc etc"

When a massive number of very rich companies take this counties financial well being to new lows.And we the people have to bail it out.
Firstly, how many 'very rich companies' is a 'massive number' ?

More importantly, which 'very rich companies' are being 'bailed out' - and how ?

Surely the 'bail out' is directed at employees ?
And isn't there a salary cap ?

Is the Temporary Loan guarantee aimed at smaller companies - or could Tesco benefit ?

If you were to float the idea that bonuses for Chief Execs of FTSE companies who DID get taxpayer support should be limited - I would agree ?

Hoarding, no. But once I was very ill, stuck at home with no way of getting food in and I didn't eat for four days, so I've made enough preparations to ensure that doesn't happen again. Just grabbing an extra can of soup or something if I'm in the Co-op and so on over the last couple of weeks. Soon mounts up.

I believe a lot of people don't even know they have it.It seems certain that it is very mild in some cases which is why it will be hard to stop.
My son is currently unwell and NHS advice do not believe it is Coronavirus but we have been told to stay isolated.

I believe a lot of people don't even know they have it.It seems certain that it is very mild in some cases which is why it will be hard to stop.
That's what all the experts are saying
My son is currently unwell and NHS advice do not believe it is Coronavirus but we have been told to stay isolated.

Does your son have any underlying health problems? If not, keep an eye on him and stay calm; so he's calm.

Not everyone has internet access but, for the huge numbers that do, perhaps it would be easier to regulate grocery demand and supply if we restricted ourselves to on-line shopping. If the general population could be persuaded that the supply chain was heavily laden and that those ordering "regular" weekly or fortnightly shops would all receive their orders then it might reduce greedy panic buying. I have an on-line shop booked but the number of items that make up my order is decreasing rapidly due, I assume, to the need to re-stock empty shelves "raided" by the less considerate among us. Shopping on-line also assists social distancing.

There are 43 confirmed cases of the virus here in Essex. That's 0.003% of the population. I shan't be hoarding anything until it reaches 95%.

(FYI Kent @ 0.002%. Data from the BBC site.)

I am in agreement about not over reacting but you won't get many confirmed cases when very few are being tested.

Totally agree the vast majority will come through this but the total infected will be far higher, and it needs to be if we are going to develop a herd immunity.

I am in agreement about not over reacting but you won't get many confirmed cases when very few are being tested.

Totally agree the vast majority will come through this but the total infected will be far higher, and it needs to be if we are going to develop a herd immunity.
Perhaps the number of deaths would be a more representative statistic to consider then:-
178 out of 65.6 million, which I believe Wayne says is rising exponentially.

Last edited:

Does your son have any underlying health problems? If not, keep an eye on him and stay calm; so he's calm.
No he will be fine.Of course if I had it a month or so ago so will I our isolation is all about others.Not sure if I can get the all clear to go back to work.

Perhaps the number of deaths would be a more representative statistic to consider then:-
178 out of 65.6 million.
That is valid but it doesn't indicate the death rate among those infected, which the experts say is much, much higher than those tested positive.

No he will be fine.Of course if I had it a month or so ago so will I our isolation is all about others.Not sure if I can get the all clear to go back to work.
It has been announced today that many who didn't have symptoms in fact noticed a lack of sense of smell and taste. This is great for them but obviously bad for others as they will be potentially spreading it unwittingly.

178 out of 65.6 million, which I believe Wayne says is rising exponentially.

I agree it would. As its factual and doesn't rely on test. A low number that will rise massively but even if it gets to the 20K-30K mark is still a very low percentage and you could never know how many of those would have died this year anywhere if they had underlying medical conditions. We need to really worry if younger people without underlying health conditions start dieing from this. This is not to be disrespectful to the old and those with underlying health conditions (I have the second bit) but we are told that the young and fit are expected to win their battles with the virus. I hope that remains the case.

Interesting and some sound advice too

Helen Dickinson, the chief executive of the British Retail Consortium, said at the daily Downing Street briefing that there was plenty of food in the supply chain. The issue is around people and lorries.
She added there was £1bn more food in people’s houses than there was three weeks ago. “So we should make sure we eat some of it.”