Will Adams remains found in japan | Vital Football

Will Adams remains found in japan

There is a Will Adams enthusiast who lurks on this Board

Yes, I is one (also our exile in Japan). Have read every bit of literature or original letters.

It seems like this is real this time. No formal identification can ever take place from DNA as none of his family (wives and children in both uk and japan) were ever traced.
Maybe lucky to get DNA from his remains and trace relatives.

I thought that there was a statue in his memory beside Watling Street. Don't know if it is still there though.

Get Richard Chamberlain over here - he was good in Shogun. Should Medway Council be lobbying a bit more robustly - surely it can improve on a few road names ? Perhaps Sony Corporation might sponsor a new tourist attraction to compete with the Dickens Festival....... ;)

Get Richard Chamberlain over here - he was good in Shogun. Should Medway Council be lobbying a bit more robustly - surely it can improve on a few road names ? Perhaps Sony Corporation might sponsor a new tourist attraction to compete with the Dickens Festival....... ;)

It is reckoned by many ‘experts’ that the Shogun series did a lot towards changing the attitudes of many in the usa towards post war Japan.

That’s great that it’s been confirmed to be our Will! I wanted to get down there when they were doing the excavation, I was invited to have been there in attendance with Medway Council and the leading Will Adams researcher. However ‘Hirado’ is apparently horrendously difficult to get to though, and couldn’t get enough days off work at that time.

Medway did try to forge greater links with our twin cities Yokosuka and Ito during the late 1990’s/early 2000’s, after it became a unitary authority. I first went to Yokosuka and Ito on civic duty for then Gillingham Borough Council on behalf of Mayor Dai Liyanage.

Then we had the construction of Ito Way and Yokosuka Way, and the Honourable Pilot where I was part of the opening team, given the job for my Japanese language skills! I drew one of their first chalk boards at the bar in Japanese, it was supposed to look cool and also was in case Japanese workers from companies in the business park would go there. I was regarded as one of their special staff, they thought I was the top dog. I lasted in the job a month before saying “oh bollocks” to a customer over some bread and butter! I knew there was no coming back from that, I didn’t even bother seeing the manager, after I said it I just kept walking past the kitchen, out the back door and walked home. Been hiding here in Japan ever since!😂

UTG!

Btw Will Adams would definitely have been a Gills fan!

That’s great that it’s been confirmed to be our Will! I wanted to get down there when they were doing the excavation, I was invited to have been there in attendance with Medway Council and the leading Will Adams researcher. However ‘Hirado’ is apparently horrendously difficult to get to though, and couldn’t get enough days off work at that time.

Medway did try to forge greater links with our twin cities Yokosuka and Ito during the late 1990’s/early 2000’s, after it became a unitary authority. I first went to Yokosuka and Ito on civic duty for then Gillingham Borough Council on behalf of Mayor Dai Liyanage.

Then we had the construction of Ito Way and Yokosuka Way, and the Honourable Pilot where I was part of the opening team, given the job for my Japanese language skills! I drew one of their first chalk boards at the bar in Japanese, it was supposed to look cool and also was in case Japanese workers from companies in the business park would go there. I was regarded as one of their special staff, they thought I was the top dog. I lasted in the job a month before saying “oh bollocks” to a customer over some bread and butter! I knew there was no coming back from that, I didn’t even bother seeing the manager, after I said it I just kept walking past the kitchen, out the back door and walked home. Been hiding here in Japan ever since!😂

UTG!

Btw Will Adams would definitely have been a Gills fan!

Is Yokosuka still a naval base? It was the main one in the days of the IJN.

Couldn't help but smile at the bit in the story when old Will's boss finally gave him permission to go home. Thanks but no thanks.

Is Yokosuka still a naval base? It was the main one in the days of the IJN.

Couldn't help but smile at the bit in the story when old Will's boss finally gave him permission to go home. Thanks but no thanks.

If you are talking about Will Adams not wanting to go home then it was not as simple as that according to the very limited documentation and letters. For most of the time he was not allowed to leave and by the time that he may have been allowed to leave he had a Japanese wife and child.apart from that he was the main go between for trade deals with the European nations (so not really a big push to get him home) and opening up trade with Japans near neighbours. He did however manage to send money home to his family but after a while they had disapeared.

If you are talking about Will Adams not wanting to go home then it was not as simple as that according to the very limited documentation and letters. For most of the time he was not allowed to leave and by the time that he may have been allowed to leave he had a Japanese wife and child.apart from that he was the main go between for trade deals with the European nations (so not really a big push to get him home) and opening up trade with Japans near neighbours. He did however manage to send money home to his family but after a while they had disapeared.

Thanks for that Jerry. I read the wiki entry on him, and yours fills it out nicely. What a remarkable man! Got an opportunity and made more opportunities out of it. I wonder what he thought about it all as he grew older -he didn't actually grow old did he.

As he was the first to show the Japanese how to build Western style ships he was indirectly responsible for the formation of the Japanese Navy. I hope that Mr. Trump never learns about Will Adams, because if he does, Gillingham could find itself being accused of being responsible for the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbour.