wild speculation to pass the time? | Page 2 | Vital Football

wild speculation to pass the time?

It appears Gary has done this to spark exactly this can of speculation and internet rumour.
Fake news...

To be fair it never was news and having read the article I'm not sure Gary ever put any weight behind it at all. I thought the article was as much about the validity of rumours as it was about Franks.

Yeah, I think Gary was just putting that in there off the back of the Franks non-story, not suggesting we're in for anyone like that.

i could buy it if someone like Jordan Rhodes is involved -lined up to move to another club that will free up a player that we want. Owls want him moved on to free up his wages.

he did seem to like the idea of us signing franks. must be disappointing when you find your sources are winding you up with nonsense.

https://staceywest.net/2018/05/09/lets-be-frank-would-fraser-fit-in-at-city/

Not usually one for posting on here, but I had to reply to this.

My source for the news of the Franks bid last summer was one of the management team itself. It did happen. 100%

The recent article was speculation. Nowhere do I mention we're in for him again this summer, I was discussing the news of him being released and available.

My article on him signing for Newport was looking at the effects of social media in that people assumed because they'd seen an article he was being linked with us. I used the £10m story to illustrate the absurdity of some people's speculation.

Jules will attest to this I'm sure, but we write because we enjoy it. I write about players we've been linked with, players we might move for and I'm always clear whether I'm speculating or whether I believe I know something. I believe I was very clear that I didn't for one second think we were signing a £10m striker, but rather ironically it has proven my point.

As you were.

My source for the news of the Franks bid last summer was one of the management team itself. It did happen. 100%

The recent article was speculation. Nowhere do I mention we're in for him again this summer, I was discussing the news of him being released and available.

My article on him signing for Newport was looking at the effects of social media in that people assumed because they'd seen an article he was being linked with us. I used the £10m story to illustrate the absurdity of some people's speculation.

Jules will attest to this I'm sure, but we write because we enjoy it. I write about players we've been linked with, players we might move for and I'm always clear whether I'm speculating or whether I believe I know something. I believe I was very clear that I didn't for one second think we were signing a £10m striker, but rather ironically it has proven my point.

As you were.

So it was direct from the horses mouth then.

As you were.
what pre-empted my post was this section:
"For instance, last night I was told that a player who moved for eight figures less than eighteen months ago was close to signing a loan deal with the club. That’s right, a player who cost in excess of £10m in 2017 was nearing a season-long loan with Lincoln City. It may be kosher, after all the person I spoke to has been right about big moves in the past"

you say it is someone who has been right on lcfc moves in the past. that you actually spoke to. so it appears to have the possibility of some validity built into it. 'it may be kosher'. the inference being, the person has been right in the past. so - however insane it sounds - the person you spoke to could be right on this too, even if you personally don't believe what they say.

or did i interpret it wrongly, and it is just a totally fabricated event to demonstrate a point about social media?

It was someone I spoke to and it was someone who has been right about a move in the past, but not the Franks FA Cup move nor one I'd publically spoken about. It was a genuine person offering me something they'd heard. The only time I'd heard from them before was three weeks before we signed James Wilson when they put his name forward. I didn't write a Wilson article as I hadn't heard it from my usual people and therefore wouldn't want to spread false rumour.

Good guesswork back then? I don't know, they're not someone I would happily write an article on the back of speaking to. In truth, the only solid articles I write are when I've heard something absolutely solid from more than two people.

Last edited:
It was someone I spoke to and it was someone who has been right about a move in the past, but not the Franks move nor one I'd publically spoken about. It was a genuine person offering me something they'd heard. The only time I'd heard from them before was three weeks before we signed James Wilson when they put his name forward. I didn't write a Wilson article as I hadn't heard it from my usual people and therefore wouldn't want to spread false rumour.

Good guesswork back then? I don't know, they're not someone I would happily write an article on the back of speaking to. In truth, the only solid articles I write are when I've heard something absolutely solid from more than two people.
many thanks for clearing that up.