Why? | Vital Football

Why?

Biggles

Vital Squad Member
Why is it that for over 73 years, SUFC has inflicted on me moments of joyful euphoria, always followed by the slough of despond? Why does it matter to me whether it wins or loses? Prospers or fails? It is an inaminate object for heavens sake. It is not a person who one might love, or a pet, or any living thing.

Let's face it, there are much "bigger blades" out there than me, some of whom pretty near dedicate their whole life to travelling round the country paying homage to it and paying handsomely for the privelege. It matters so much to them. They care!
But the club doesn't care about them. It can't, because it has no feelings.
And this applies to hordes of other people supporting other clubs, even small clubs who will never ever win anything of importance. Again I ask, why on earth do they do it?

Fortunately, I convince myself it doesn't really matter to me. It really is of no importance at all.
And yet, and yet.......................... I feel so much better when we win, than when we lose. Why?

Why is it that for over 73 years, SUFC has inflicted on me moments of joyful euphoria, always followed by the slough of despond? Why does it matter to me whether it wins or loses? Prospers or fails? It is an inaminate object for heavens sake. It is not a person who one might love, or a pet, or any living thing.

Let's face it, there are much "bigger blades" out there than me, some of whom pretty near dedicate their whole life to travelling round the country paying homage to it and paying handsomely for the privelege. It matters so much to them. They care!
And this applies to hordes of other people supporting other clubs, even small clubs who will never ever win anything of importance. Again I ask, why on earth do they do it?

Fortunately, I convince myself it doesn't really matter to me. It really is of no importance at all.
And yet, and yet.......................... I feel so much better when we win, than when we lose. Why?
Tell me why i don't like wednesPigsday.Chin up mi owd pal,hopefully we can have a chin wag at a game before long then you'll really have something to complain about,Ear ache.:giggle: Take care Bigglenaldo.UTMPB

Btw if I knew the answer I’m sure I’d do somat about it so I would stop I don’t need the kind of crap I’ve endured over 40 plus yrs in my life the good times have been less than a quarter of that and sometimes I didn’t even realise they were good at the time 😳
can’t even begin to imagine how much more money I’d have as well

Tell me why i don't like wednesPigsday.Chin up mi owd pal,hopefully we can have a chin wag at a game before long then you'll really have something to complain about,Ear ache.:giggle: Take care Bigglenaldo.UTMPB
If he’s lucky he’ll still have some cotton wool in his pockets from the last he saw you 🤞

No being a Blade is a living, breathing thing. We are all hurting and probably as bad as we did when we dropped to Div 4. We'll recover but none of us know when.

Last season Norwich lost the last 10 league games in the prem, one by 5 and two by 4 but then kept the majority of the players ans sit at no.1. Can lightning
strike twice?

No being a Blade is a living, breathing thing. We are all hurting and probably as bad as we did when we dropped to Div 4. We'll recover but none of us know when.

Last season Norwich lost the last 10 league games in the prem, one by 5 and two by 4 but then kept the majority of the players ans sit at no.1. Can lightning
strike twice?

Yes, but they also kept their manager.
As did Burnley a few years back.
I think we are making the same mistake we did last time we were relegated from the Prem.

It's perverse, something you have no finanacial stake in, no meaningful effect over, no direct influence in the way it conducts it's business,operates that business, styles that business and is also supported by some you ouldn't give house room to given the choice can make or break your week, your winter, your outlook.

I woke up this morning thinking that there's not much to look forward to at the moment, with the uppermost issue in that being MY football club.

MY!!- I'm identified by so many friends and acquaintances as that Blades supporter defining my relationship with so many of them. I put some of that down to not living in Sheffield for the last 40 odd years so being a bit of an anomoly where I do live so being the unusual one ( leave it!!). I carry that as a badge of pride, defend them to the hilt and, for the last 4 years, gave out plenty as WE became known, recognised even respected.
Now I'm reaping a bit of a reward, a litttle sympathy but mainly gentle derision but they are still MY club.

Intangible, unrequited love. It's crazy , it's illogical but it binds us to so many like minded individuals that makes us feel we are part of something unique, something special, something that we are privileged to be part of.

The physical and mental embodiment of hope over expectation tempered by years of being let down yet allowing us flashes of the greatest optimism that enlivens us and makes us believe.

That hope has, for 4 years, been fulfilled spectacularly ( thaanks CW), beyond our wildest dreams, emphasised and added to by the 6 years of decline and despair that so quickly, so magically evaporated as CW and the band of Brothers weaved their spell across even the top table of the PL. We were there by right, we weren't the lucky, plucky interlopers for once.

The pride, the respect, the sheer delight - we dared to start to feel comfortable, to see a promised land that we could stay in, we started to expect to be there travelling 1st class

Then, just so spectacularly , it all went wrong. What did we do wrong? Why us? Logically we would walk away. How many places do you keep shopping at that disappoint you so often?

But you don't, you carry on. You've lost the best leader , the best fit ever but, hey, slowly the optimism kicks in, it's a new start, a new opportunity.

The ties that bind- you can't sever them , you can't lose faith, you can't let your mates down, the team NEEDS you, we all know that but why we know or think that defies all logic.

Supporting your team is magic, illogical , ethereal and none of us can explain it but we know we would miss it and they would miss us. Maybe the feeling of belonging is the real tie. The triumph of hope over expectation the real emotional connection.

Come on all Blades, chins up, we go again.

( Coming back from Wembley- PO defeat-with my chin on my knees and a teenager in a car passing us gave me the chin up sign and I felt such pride, such emotion that , it seemed the windscreen was covered in rain on a bright summer's evening. Must have been my bleary old eyes!)

And that is exactly what we should have done but many wanted him out, includling the Prince.

Yoyo clubs typically don't spend much. They take what comes, go down with a big war chest and then spend well to come back up. The issue with CW was that after he'd kept us up, he spent £80m on a ragtag assortment of positions and managed to make us a hell of a lot worse. I was fearful that we'd go straight back down to L1, and I don't think CW's departure has us out of those particular woods yet...

Yoyo clubs typically don't spend much. They take what comes, go down with a big war chest and then spend well to come back up. The issue with CW was that after he'd kept us up, he spent £80m on a ragtag assortment of positions and managed to make us a hell of a lot worse. I was fearful that we'd go straight back down to L1, and I don't think CW's departure has us out of those particular woods yet...
FBK, that's because no one knows the future. Look at Norwich in the last 10 games
in the prem last time, I wouldn't have said they be top as it stands.

And that is exactly what we should have done but many wanted him out, includling the Prince.

Why do you keep peddling the line that the Prince wanted him out?
He publicly stated the exact opposite.
None of us know yet what transpired over the last few days and maybe we never will.
Apparently Wilder wanted to leave after the 3-0 at Southampton and the home defeat by Everton, and don't forget his links to Sunderland in our LG1 success season.
What I do know is that the Chris Wilder who has been interviewed this season is not the Chris Wilder of the previous 4 years when everything was peachy. This Chris Wilder wasn't very pleasant.

As I understand it, once the prince had gained sole control, CW did not have anything to do with transfer fees, he lost some first choices that had been more or less agreed and had to put up with some players he didn’t particularly want. That was the main source of his frustration and the cause of the friction between him and the owner.
It was the prince’s money, so naturally he wanted his own team doing the negotiating. Unfortunately, they didn’t do a very good job of it. (IMHO).

As I understand it, once the prince had gained sole control, CW did not have anything to do with transfer fees, he lost some first choices that had been more or less agreed and had to put up with some players he didn’t particularly want. That was the main source of his frustration and the cause of the friction between him and the owner.
It was the prince’s money, so naturally he wanted his own team doing the negotiating. Unfortunately, they didn’t do a very good job of it. (IMHO).

That isn't how I read it given Wilders comments on our signings.
But then I haven't got a clue what went on behind closed doors.

I know your sources are closer to the truth than mine Biggles. We'll just have to see what comes out in the wash.

FBK, that's because no one knows the future. Look at Norwich in the last 10 games
in the prem last time, I wouldn't have said they be top as it stands.

We're back to arguing which of two hypothetical situations would have been better/more likely. I'm going to leave this before we end up in a vortex again.