Why the negativity?? | Vital Football

Why the negativity??

Lee Koo

Vital Youth Team
With our goal difference still in a different category from our promotion rivals, we are effectively 4 points clear of second and 6 points clear of third.

Its a great effort and its about time we generated some positivity on this forum, and for that matter, at home games.

We have no divine right to win games. There are some good players in this league. Stephen Taylor, ex Newcastle captain, was brilliant today for them at centre half and Marriott, rated at £6m, was a threat all afternoon.

Proud Latic - 13/1/2018 18:41

There was no atmosphere again. I don't know why this is.

Expectations are too high. We need to support the team and get this done.

Negative as we are going backwards. It wasn’t actually a bad game to be fair but we are going backwards.
Massey & Grigg are not good enough. Jacobs has the ability at times as shown today but isn’t playing well enough and doesn’t want to run down his wing. Nick Powell, I don’t get him. Yes he’s got class at times but 95% of the time he’s a waste of space.

I didn't mean to be negative in my post LK. I agree with you - I think the position we're in is great at this point in the season.

Away from home, we've a tremendous record, and we've just come though 3 home games against top 10 teams.

We probably should have won today .....but as we didn't, I reckon it's fine to lament on the (inconsistent) quality of the performance of some of the players.

The atmosphere is a concern. I really don’t understand how people can go to a game and not be vocal.
Lee Koo - you think fans expect to much?

There’s negativity and no atmosphere because the vast majority of our fans haven’t seen a goal since Fleetwood in early December. If I didn’t travel away I’d be pretty Pi****d off as well. Nick Powell looked almost as fed up as most of our fans today and I don’t blame him. Gets the ball, looks up for options and what does he see...Gavin Massey and Will Grigg. Must be soul destroying, playing with such mediocrity.

I agree C Latic but he’s a lot to answer for. I am beginning to get bored of him to.
I said before and I’ll say again, not a single player we have is good enough for the championship if we want to stay up next season.
Morley, Burn, Walton & James could be ok but not in the same team. The rest are League 1 players.

moonay - 13/1/2018 18:47

I didn't mean to be negative in my post LK. I agree with you - I think the position we're in is great at this point in the season.

Away from home, we've a tremendous record, and we've just come though 3 home games against top 10 teams.

We probably should have won today .....but as we didn't, I reckon it's fine to lament on the (inconsistent) quality of the performance of some of the players.

I didnt say you were, I started this thread separately to make a specific and new point. I agree with you that performances have become more inconsistent, individually and collectively. I just dont get the wild swings in how we view our players with average performances being described as disgraceful etc etc. Mind you, I think some of it is deliberately provocative. Players do have dips in form, eg Jacobs, but they arent suddenly terrible players. This squad represents our town and I will continue to support them hopefully to promotion and whatever that brings.

Lee Koo - 13/1/2018 21:50
I didnt say you were, ........
Sorry .....didn't mean to imply that you did .I understood your post to be in response to all those gone before ........I was just clarifying my comments.

I fully agree re the provocative bit too ......... but they're normally easy to spot.

It was a poor performance all round from the attacking unit yesterday. Grigg got no service and was well marshaled, Jacobs has stopped taking players on and keeps cutting inside, Massey did nothing and Powell was so lethargic that he often killed attacks with poor passes or by turning back.

Defensively we were untroubled and I thought James and Byrne played very well despite the lack of support in front of them.

The negativity stems from the higher expectations we've developed after beating the Wombles and Oxford. Is there perhaps a fear factor as well? Fans are quick to jump on the back of the players, particularly when any passes go backwards.

Gaz_Latic - 14/1/2018 11:38

It was a poor performance all round from the attacking unit yesterday. Grigg got no service and was well marshaled, Jacobs has stopped taking players on and keeps cutting inside, Massey did nothing and Powell was so lethargic that he often killed attacks with poor passes or by turning back.

Defensively we were untroubled and I thought James and Byrne played very well despite the lack of support in front of them.

The negativity stems from the higher expectations we've developed after beating the Wombles and Oxford. Is there perhaps a fear factor as well? Fans are quick to jump on the back of the players, particularly when any passes go backwards.

Good point. As fans we arent doing our bit when attending home games. This isnt a team that isnt trying, we are having a wee wobble at home. Lets try and get the players going with positive support from the outset rather than waiting for them to score

Passes going backwards is negative.
Three nil nils at home on the bounce is negative.
Both wide players on their opposite sides is negative.
One up top at home after 240 mins since an home goal is negative.
One up top at home is negative.
Midfielders not supporting the lone striker is negative.
No goals in the league at home from play since Doncaster is negative.
Not trying a plan B at home when things aren't working as well is negative.
Playing Morsy so deep he may as well being a sixth defender is negative.
Not having a player on the half way line for breaks when opposition have a corner is negative.
Playing a slow tempo passing game is negative.
Being slow on the break is negative.
There's a few questions we should be questioning about negativity for starters.

jeffs right - 14/1/2018 12:34

Passes going backwards is negative.
Three nil nils at home on the bounce is negative.
Both wide players on their opposite sides is negative.
One up top at home after 240 mins since an home goal is negative.
One up top at home is negative.
Midfielders not supporting the lone striker is negative.
No goals in the league at home from play since Doncaster is negative.
Not trying a plan B at home when things aren't working as well is negative.
Playing Morsy so deep he may as well being a sixth defender is negative.
Not having a player on the half way line for breaks when opposition have a corner is negative.
Playing a slow tempo passing game is negative.
Being slow on the break is negative.
There's a few questions we should be questioning about negativity for starters.

That's just negative

Talking of negativity, 2 lads sat behind me yesterday were discussing the prospect of a third goalless draw in a row at home. One of them then said he wasn't coming again because we were shiit at home.
When I pointed out we had the 2nd best home record in our division. They said it showed how poor it was if we were near the top.
No pleasing some folk.

Yon Mon - 14/1/2018 13:51

Talking of negativity, 2 lads sat behind me yesterday were discussing the prospect of a third goalless draw in a row at home. One of them then said he wasn't coming again because we were shiit at home.
When I pointed out we had the 2nd best home record in our division. They said it showed how poor it was if we were near the top.
No pleasing some folk.
When was the last time we played well and it was interesting to watch an home fixture? Southend game 14th October? I would say. The only other wins since that in the league were Doncaster and Fleetwood which weren't particularly good to watch.

Once again this forum is discussing the negatives. Well here's a few of positives to mull over.
Our defence kept the most prolific goal scorer in the league quiet all afternoon.
We kept another clean sheet.
We are one point further ahead of Shrewsbury in second place.
We gave our new striker 30 minutes game time.
Colclough has returned and showed some good touches, except for one.
The club has shown some intent by sanctioning two new signings.
We have a massively superior goal difference to the chasing pack.

We are still top of the league and games are running down for the opposition to narrow the gap. The league title and promotion is ours to lose so lets get behind the manager and the team and help them across the line. Cut the negative crap and focus on the positives.

TRUE BELIEVER - 14/1/2018 15:21

Once again this forum is discussing the negatives. Well here's a few of positives to mull over.
Our defence kept the most prolific goal scorer in the league quiet all afternoon.
We kept another clean sheet.
We are one point further ahead of Shrewsbury in second place.
We gave our new striker 30 minutes game time.
Colclough has returned and showed some good touches, except for one.
The club has shown some intent by sanctioning two new signings.
We have a massively superior goal difference to the chasing pack.

We are still top of the league and games are running down for the opposition to narrow the gap. The league title and promotion is ours to lose so lets get behind the manager and the team and help them across the line. Cut the negative crap and focus on the positives.

Well said!

jeffs right - 14/1/2018 14:47

Yon Mon - 14/1/2018 13:51

No pleasing some folk.
When was the last time we played well and it was interesting to watch an home fixture? Southend game 14th October? I would say. The only other wins since that in the league were Doncaster and Fleetwood which weren't particularly good to watch.

I'd say we were doing reasonably well at home.
We're dominating most of the play. We're keeping clean sheets and are the most attacking of the 2 teams playing.
Our downfall is breaking teams down.
Teams are packing their defence and try to catch us on the break.
Maybe as fans we have to be realistic. Some of our players have reached their limits. They're top end div 1 players but haven't got the nous and movement to break down tight defences.
Twice yesterday I saw Powell having a go at Jacobs for not moving forward when a pass was on. Also Morsy doing the same to Power for passing backwards instead of forward when players were on.

When we won the league 2 seasons ago we also had 3 consecutive 0-0 hone matches but that turned out pretty well. As usual some massive over reacting going on here.