Why does everyone seem to hate us!? | Vital Football

Why does everyone seem to hate us!?

spurs1954

Vital Squad Member
This is my first try at a new thread! Please be forgiving!

So reading today that none of the 27 BBC pundits rated our chances of any success this season caused me to think why as a club are we so disliked and disparaged? What is the reason or reasons for our club being so disliked? This however goes against the fact that so many fans of other clubs have historically loved to watch us as a team for our great football!

My own thoughts are that Levy gives us a bad name because we are difficult to deal with or we are poor communicators so the press never give us a good profile or maybe some strange feelings of anti-semitism, maybe they have a historic dislike because of very, very long past successes or maybe something else.

I can expect dislike from our noisy red neighbours and maybe some other London clubs but they all seem to dislike us! I for one dislike the Goons, Chelsea and in particular West Ham but am very accepting of the others.

I am sure there are lots of thoughts out there and it will be interesting to see. What do you think?

So reading today that none of the 27 BBC pundits rated our chances of any success this season caused me to think why as a club are we so disliked and disparaged? What is the reason or reasons for our club being so disliked? This however goes against the fact that so many fans of other clubs have historically loved to watch us as a team for our great football!

My own thoughts are that Levy gives us a bad name because we are difficult to deal with or we are poor communicators so the press never give us a good profile or maybe some strange feelings of anti-semitism, maybe they have a historic dislike because of very, very long past successes or maybe something else.

I can expect dislike from our noisy red neighbours and maybe some other London clubs but they all seem to dislike us! I for one dislike the Goons, Chelsea and in particular West Ham but am very accepting of the others.

I am sure there are lots of thoughts out there and it will be interesting to see. What do you think?
I accept there is some perceived bias against Spurs from quite a few quarters but I think in respect of the 27 BBC pundit predictions I think they are being pretty honest. We are an unknown quantity until the season gets underway but right now you would have to be a supreme optimist to consider we might make top 4 this year.

Last edited:
Its an interesting question.

My thoughts are that we dont belong to any camps. I was listening to the muppet Agbonlohor (Sp) on TS yesterday. He was getting really animated when told the odds are that Spurs will finish above Villa. He was disgusted and pretty horrible about it. WTF have we done to deserve his angst? If we look at the last 20 years i reckon Villa might have half the PL points we have. They are nowhere near the club we are. But they had a good season and got above us when we had a terrible year. It happens. But it highlights the point.

City/United/Chelski/Liverpool/Arse - Expected to challenge. Expected to win something. Expected to either be there or be building to be there the following year. Each one of them has a good history either recently or in the past of winning.

Spurs - Expected to fill the gap between top 4 and 6/7th. On occassion they can get top 4. Overachieving under Poch but slowly dismantled under JM & AC. Better income than most. Able to compete financially with all but the top. Unfortunately being able to compete on price with some doesnt gurentee the player will come. Always better than the rest but not really able to make a big enough impact on the top clubs. Top clubs dont want us to impact them. Middle clubs want to catch us up. Bottom clubs dont care. Ie no one likes us.

Newcastle - The most dangerous club to all in the top 6. They can blow the lot out of the water and the artificial doping financially that selling players like Henderson etc for Liverpool has opened a new avenue for them to offload their average players at inflated fees to help cash turnover. Once they get their financial ability going they will smash, Arsenal, Spurs, Arse, Liverpool into the ground. Only Utd and City will be able to compete. Noone will 'hate' on them because they are always talked about in a friendly tone (Easy to do when they dont compete) and when they do start competing they will be so powerful they will be able to laugh at the other clubs for being so poor and rubbish in comparison. That then makes the possibility of finishing in the top 6 even harder for everyone

The rest - They are all doing their thing. Some rather sucessfully (For now). Some not so well. Who cares, good luck to them. But they dont like spurs because we are the target. If they finish above us they have had a good season. If they dont then they are working towards it next season. They dont really have an eye above us because thats fairytale for some and even if they did get it, its unsustainable and chances are they would bankrupt themselves doing it because they dont have the setup to support it year in year out.

End of the day, we are where we are. We are no ones favourites and even though i dont think we deserve it we are most teams target of hate. I certainly dont support Spurs to win any popularity contests. Its going to make any success even better. We need to stop bothering what others think of us. Its their problem.

The other factor can sometimes be players. Other fans can have such dislike for players that they hate the club that player is at... and we currently have some pretty interesting characters e.g. Romero, Richarlison. I always hated Charlie Adams and whatever club he was at by proxy.

It is a really interesting point. If we had been super successful like Man Utd, I might understand it. Or if we were just a nasty club like Wimbledon. Or if we were super corrupt like Man City or Chelsea. I'm not sure it is related to Levy though.

With regards to pundit predictions, TQ2 and 80 are both right. We are an unknown quantity (especially with Kane gone) so the pundits wont risk their egos by making a favourable prediction. And the British press are full of fans who support Goons, Chelsea and Man Utd. I know 2 personally.

Regards the 27 BBC pundits, they know fcuk all and basically the best thing for them is sit on the fence or be a bit negative.

I honestly believe the reasons we are so called hated...

Levy himself is very secretive, doesn't talk to the fcuking media who in the end make things up or go by rumours.
The Club is run on a Fair play basis!
Don't spend oodles of dosh, as in cheating.

Just my starter

Oh! as for Spam, they hate us because the Jewish fraternity in their midst who made the East End, travelled up Norf by undergound to watch the mighty Yid club that is THFC.

Does the fact that we had one of our worst seasons in many years last season, and are therefore now in a transitional phase where nobody other than super optimists or the deluded have the slightest idea at this stage as to how this season will pan out, make it altogether surprising that the 27 pundits all express doubts as to our chances of success 54. I'd say that based on all known facts at this stage, City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea will finish above us. that will certainly be the pundits interpretation, and although I and a lot of Spurs fans will be happy to see us finish sixth, in the non Spurs world that won't be considered a success. That has nothing to do with a perceived hate of Spurs, and even less to do with Levy.

Does the fact that we had one of our worst seasons in many years last season, and are therefore now in a transitional phase where nobody other than super optimists or the deluded have the slightest idea at this stage as to how this season will pan out, make it altogether surprising that the 27 pundits all express doubts as to our chances of success 54. I'd say that based on all known facts at this stage, City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea will finish above us. that will certainly be the pundits interpretation, and although I and a lot of Spurs fans will be happy to see us finish sixth, in the non Spurs world that won't be considered a success. That has nothing to do with a perceived hate of Spurs, and even less to do with Levy.
S&J meet Mr Deluded here Lol!

I don’t disagree at all S&J! My linking the two, pundits views and hate for our team, were the product of a wandering mind rather than a direct link although there could be a link, of course. It doesn’t take away from the underlying feeling I have that we are truly disliked by so many whether that be fans of other clubs, pundits, reporters or commentators. Maybe the ones that I see, read and hear are the minority and not a realistic representation.

I don’t disagree at all S&J! My linking the two, pundits views and hate for our team, were the product of a wandering mind rather than a direct link although there could be a link, of course. It doesn’t take away from the underlying feeling I have that we are truly disliked by so many whether that be fans of other clubs, pundits, reporters or commentators. Maybe the ones that I see, read and hear are the minority and not a realistic representation.
I'm not so sure that it's dislike 54, more a case I think of ridicule. We've been without success for so long, despite the stadium project which most felt should take us to another level, that we have become a source of ridicule. Pundits and fans of other Clubs enjoy taking the piss out of us. Heavens, even West Ham have a recent European trophy albeit the Villagers Cup. With the rise also of Newcastle and Brighton the numbers ready to put the knife in increase annually.

I watched a magazine program on Premier League TV earlier this week, where a peripheral journalist who was obviously something of a Spurs fan, reckoned that we would finish second in the PL this season. The presenter, some French guy I've seen on PL TV quite often but don't know his name, literally fell about laughing. That unfortunately is the sort of esteem we are held in, any inference as to our having possible success, makes non Spurs people laugh.

I'm not so sure that it's dislike 54, more a case I think of ridicule. We've been without success for so long, despite the stadium project which most felt should take us to another level, that we have become a source of ridicule. Pundits and fans of other Clubs enjoy taking the piss out of us. Heavens, even West Ham have a recent European trophy albeit the Villagers Cup. With the rise also of Newcastle and Brighton the numbers ready to put the knife in increase annually.

I watched a magazine program on Premier League TV earlier this week, where a peripheral journalist who was obviously something of a Spurs fan, reckoned that we would finish second in the PL this season. The presenter, some French guy I've seen on PL TV quite often but don't know his name, literally fell about laughing. That unfortunately is the sort of esteem we are held in, any inference as to our having possible success, makes non Spurs people laugh.
Dislike, ridicule or hate all adds up to the impression that apart from our fans no one likes us!
I agree we have made ourselves a laughing stock over the years. I can also see why. As USAF says we just keep on giving. Nevertheless wouldn’t it be refreshing to shove it all back down their throats or up some other orifice!

Dislike, ridicule or hate all adds up to the impression that apart from our fans no one likes us!
I agree we have made ourselves a laughing stock over the years. I can also see why. As USAF says we just keep on giving. Nevertheless wouldn’t it be refreshing to shove it all back down their throats or up some other orifice!

Oh yes....I agree 100%....a revenge tour would be nice!

I just think that some expectation management needs to be applied. Can we surprise everyone this year....maybe....but I think we are still a year or two away.

Who knows though...

Oh yes....I agree 100%....a revenge tour would be nice!

I just think that some expectation management needs to be applied. Can we surprise everyone this year....maybe....but I think we are still a year or two away.

Who knows though...
Yes US, who knows? Let’s hope the ride is as exciting as the pre season indicators suggest it might me. Bumpy but fun. We may just find that we have got our Tottenham back!

I don't mind tbh, only problem is it does genuinely give us a disadvantage in the league, so many teams have us as their most important game. Chelsea, Arse and W.Ham all despise us and consider us their biggest rivals. 6 games a season of that magnitude is tough.