Who would you like to keep for next season? | Vital Football

Who would you like to keep for next season?

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
With the end of the season fast approaching how many of the current squad would everyone want to have here next season?

The reality is some will be more realistic to keep than others - but for the purposes of discussion in an ideal world if the out of contract players were willing to stay for a salary we could afford, the loanees parent clubs were willing to let them come back for another season and we got offers for players we owned but didn't fancy - who would you like to see retained?

Also any players you've seen from other clubs you'd like to see us go for?

Keepers
Tickle
Amos

Right backs
Clare
Sessegon

Left backs
Pearce
Chambers

Centre backs
Hughes
Goode
Kerr
Morrison
Watts

Central Mids
Adeeko
Matt Smith
Scott Smith
Shaw

Attacking Mids
Aasgaard
Sze
Humphrys
J Smith
McMannaman
Jones

Strikers
Wyke
Magennis
Kelman
Stones

Coming back from loans
Carragher
McHugh
Robinson
Adams
Mitchell
Watson

(Excluding any loans who obviously won't be here like Morrison, Chambers, Godo)

Tickle- Keep: Obviously, though he'll most likely be sold

Amos- Let go: Barely played, can't kick, average shot stopper, on a big wage, supported Man U when on our bench. Get rid quick.

Clare- Keep: Brings a lot of decent workrate and would be very good to keep around in the squad. Though I think we may need an upgrade.

Sessegnon- Keep: Not really gotten a chance this season because of his injuries and we have him on a permanent.

Pearce- Keep: Worth keeping around as a squad player but need someone less injury prone regardless

Hughes- Keep: Again, like Tickle, wishful thinking.

Goode- Let go: Nothing against him but he doesn't suit our style of play at all

Kerr- Keep: Wants to stay, willing to take a pay cut and would be great to keep around

Watts- Let go: Loooool bin him off, useless

Adeeko- Keep: Excited to see his development, and obviously he's too raw at the moment to sell already

Matt Smith- Keep: Obviously. Needs a more defensively-driven partner next to him though, like a Naylor type.

Scott Smith- Keep: Already better than Adeeko, think he can be a regular next season

Aasgaard- Keep: But I'd also look to upgrade at this point

Sze- Let go: Controversial, but how long has he been on the fringes now without ever playing good or breaking in? Not good enough. Stones is significantly better.

Humphrys- Let go: Lost me in recent months with his arrogant entitled attitude and lazy performances. Counting down the days until he buggers off and hopefully we can get a fee for him.

Jonny Smith- Keep: Been getting better and better throughout the season. Definitely keep.

McManaman- Keep: Extremely valuable as a squad player and in the dressing room. Needs an extension for sure.

Jones- Keep: If not, would be great to sell for a substantial fee to reinvest. Would also apply this to Tickle and Hughes.

Wyke- Let go: Awful how he's been mistreated by Maloney, but he needs to leave anyway due to his very high wages.

Magennis: Let go: Will be a mercy once this absolute donkey is off our wage bill.

Kelman: Let go: Makes Magennis look like prime Grigg

Stones: Keep: And make him a regular

Also keep everyone returning from loans

I feel regardless that Wyke, Amos (& sadly) Humphrys will be off. Sze needs a loan out somewhere to develop.

Hopefully if it's true re: Kerr wanting to stay & take a pay cut then a definite yes. Same with Jones.

Please someone take Magennis off our hands. I've heard Runcorn Town want a new striker next season.

Obviously we'll lose Godo, Morrison, Watts & thank the Lord - Kelman. But I do think we'll keep Goode as he's OK coming off the bench to see out a game. Same with Shaw as I think he will be available on a free?

All the rest I'd keep & seeing who we bring in for next season.

Amos- Let go: Barely played, can't kick, average shot stopper, on a big wage, supported Man U when on our bench. Get rid quick.

Clare- Keep: Brings a lot of decent workrate and would be very good to keep around in the squad. Though I think we may need an upgrade.

Sessegnon- Keep: Not really gotten a chance this season because of his injuries and we have him on a permanent.

Pearce- Keep: Worth keeping around as a squad player but need someone less injury prone regardless

Kerr- Keep: Wants to stay, willing to take a pay cut and would be great to keep around

Adeeko- Keep: Excited to see his development, and obviously he's too raw at the moment to sell already

Matt Smith- Keep: Obviously. Needs a more defensively-driven partner next to him though, like a Naylor type.

Scott Smith- Keep: Already better than Adeeko, think he can be a regular next season

Sze- Let go: Controversial, but how long has he been on the fringes now without ever playing good or breaking in? Not good enough. Stones is significantly better.

Humphrys- Let go: Lost me in recent months with his arrogant entitled attitude and lazy performances. Counting down the days until he buggers off and hopefully we can get a fee for him.

Jonny Smith- Keep: Been getting better and better throughout the season. Definitely keep.

McManaman- Keep: Extremely valuable as a squad player and in the dressing room. Needs an extension for sure.

Jones- Keep: If not, would be great to sell for a substantial fee to reinvest. Would also apply this to Tickle and Hughes.

Wyke- Let go: Awful how he's been mistreated by Maloney, but he needs to leave anyway due to his very high wages.

Magennis: Let go: Will be a mercy once this absolute donkey is off our wage bill.

Awful how Wyke has been mistreated by Maloney?What are you talking about,Wyke basically downed tools when Dr Tobin left as he thought he had to stay whilst Richardson and Dr Tobin were here but when they left he made it plain his interest in us had gone especially with his mate Power going to saudi.

Awful how Wyke has been mistreated by Maloney?What are you talking about,Wyke basically downed tools when Dr Tobin left as he thought he had to stay whilst Richardson and Dr Tobin were here but when they left he made it plain his interest in us had gone especially with his mate Power going to saudi.

I don't think Richardson and Tobin leaving made much difference to if Wyke stayed or not, as with the money he was on if there was anyone coming in for him he'd have been allowed to leave.

But at the start of the season he was in the best form we've ever seen him in, when we were giving him lots of service and he could be a fox in the box type striker he's best at. But since then we've barely given him or any of our strikers any service and just wanted them to battle centre halves with their back to goal and Wyke isn't that good at that. I do think the way we play hasn't been to his strengths.

Agree with all of that apart from Sze.

A couple of seasons ago Asgarrd was the same but then after a summer he came back and looked like he'd put a good stone on and was a different player.

He's only 20 - i'm always guilty of writing players off too early. I never thought Lang would amount to much (because of all the loans away he had) but i was wrong so i try to bite my tongue on the young players now.

I'd possibly think about sending him out out loan to Lge2 or Conference until January to see how he gets on.

In an ideal world I'd keep Godo, Chambers, Morrison but obviously not expecting to.

From the one's under contract i think nearly everyone will agree on keeping Tickle, Hughes, Matt Smith, Aasgaard, Stones.

I'm yet to be really convinced on Scott Smith but would keep him for now.

Adeeko and Sze i'd try and send out on loans.

I'm not at all sold on Sessegon and Clare and would let them go if anyone wanted them. Maybe Johnny Smith too, got some good attributes but seems more miss than hit.

From the returning loanees i think Robinson and Adams could be decent for us next season. Rest probably could do with further loans.

From the out of contract one's i'd give Kerr, Jones and McMannaman if possible.

I know Humps isn't popular with many at the moment but i'd keep if possible, he's a match winner. He'll come good again.

I think Goode is good to come off the bench and see out leads, so could be an asset as a squad player so if he was happy with that role but not really as a starter for me.

Maloney doesn't seem to have much interest in Shaw but i quite like him and would happily keep him.

I think Wyke and Pearce will go to another L1 team and probably do well in a new environment like Lang did. I think them playing every week rather than being in and out as they are for us will be a big difference maker. But even if we can get them down to sensible wages i don't think we'll get the most out of them unfortunately.

Then the remaining out of contract players Amos, Watts, Magennis, Kelmen and McHugh I'd also let go.

Last edited:
Keepers
Tickle Keep (may leave, try to loan back)
Amos Lose

Right backs
Clare Lose
Sessegon Keep

Left backs
Pearce Lose
Chambers Keep (no chance)

Centre backs
Hughes Keep (may leave, try to loan back)
Goode Lose
Kerr Keep (will leave)
Morrison Keep (will leave)
Watts Lose

Central Mids
Adeeko Keep/Loan
Matt Smith Keep
Scott Smith Keep/Loan
Shaw Lose

Attacking Mids
Aasgaard Keep (may leave)
Sze Lose
Humphrys Keep (will leave)
J Smith Lose
McManaman Keep
Jones Lose
Godo Keep (no chance)

Strikers
Wyke Lose
Magennis Lose
Kelman Lose
Stones Keep

Coming back from loans
Carragher Keep
McHugh Lose
Robinson Keep
Adams Keep
Mitchell Keep/Loan
Watson Keep/Loan

What are you talking about here?

Wyke was scoring for fun at the beginning of the season and working well in our set up.

He then got sent off against Portsmouth and bizarrely never found his way back into the team again over Magennis who has been clearly worse

I've stuck up for Maloney a lot this season but I can't defend him over this and can't explain it.

In an ideal world I'd keep Godo, Chambers, Morrison but obviously not expecting to.

From the one's under contract i think nearly everyone will agree on keeping Tickle, Hughes, Matt Smith, Aasgaard, Stones.

I'm yet to be really convinced on Scott Smith but would keep him for now.

Adeeko and Sze i'd try and send out on loans.

I'm not at all sold on Sessegon and Clare and would let them go if anyone wanted them. Maybe Johnny Smith too, got some good attributes but seems more miss than hit.

From the returning loanees i think Robinson and Adams could be decent for us next season. Rest probably could do with further loans.

From the out of contract one's i'd give Kerr, Jones and McMannaman if possible.

I know Humps isn't popular with many at the moment but i'd keep if possible, he's a match winner. He'll come good again.

I think Goode is good to come off the bench and see out leads, so could be an asset as a squad player so if he was happy with that role but not really as a starter for me.

Maloney doesn't seem to have much interest in Shaw but i quite like him and would happily keep him.

I think Wyke and Pearce will go to another L1 team and probably do well in a new environment like Lang did. I think them playing every week rather than being in and out as they are for us will be a big difference maker. But even if we can get them down to sensible wages i don't think we'll get the most out of them unfortunately.

Then the remaining out of contract players Amos, Watts, Magennis, Kelmen and McHugh I'd also let go.

Adeeko is too good to send out on loan IMO, needs to improve some things but he's done well overall

Adeeko is too good to send out on loan IMO, needs to improve some things but he's done well overall

I suspect Maloney will just play Adeeko with Matt Smith next season but for me that's too lightweight.

I would hope we bring in a decent def mid to partner for Smith. If we did that i think it'd be better for Adeeko to be out on loan playing regularly to keep developing rather than battling Scott Smith for sub minutes.

I suspect Maloney will just play Adeeko with Matt Smith next season but for me that's too lightweight.

I would hope we bring in a decent def mid to partner for Smith. If we did that i think it'd be better for Adeeko to be out on loan playing regularly to keep developing rather than battling Scott Smith for sub minutes.
I know others have said it previously, but keeping Tom Naylor would have been a great move by the management this season. The likes of Matty Smith would have flourished playing alongside him with Aasgaard in the no 10 role.

This is why with Shaw available on a free next season, he is one I'd look at bringing in. I feel the only reason he hasn't featured much is probably down to some kind of financial reasons & having to pay Celtic over a certain amount of appearances. He's always looked solid & steady whenever he's played. But one CDM isn't enough & I hope we bring in 2 for next season.

I know others have said it previously, but keeping Tom Naylor would have been a great move by the management this season. The likes of Matty Smith would have flourished playing alongside him with Aasgaard in the no 10 role.

This is why with Shaw available on a free next season, he is one I'd look at bringing in. I feel the only reason he hasn't featured much is probably down to some kind of financial reasons & having to pay Celtic over a certain amount of appearances. He's always looked solid & steady whenever he's played. But one CDM isn't enough & I hope we bring in 2 for next season.
We can’t pay any thing in loan deals. So would have been a non starter with Shaw.

The embargo would've prevented us from being able to take a loan with any type of payment clauses. I think Maloney just doesn't rate him unfortunately.

We can’t pay any thing in loan deals. So would have been a non starter with Shaw.

We can pay wages.

What we can't do is pay a loan fee to the parent club however the deal could be set up in such a way that the parent club are paying a percentage of the wages up until a certain amount of games are played at which time we become responsible for the full amount.

I don't know if that is what is happening with both Shaw and Morrison or not but it would answer some questions.

We can pay wages.

What we can't do is pay a loan fee to the parent club however the deal could be set up in such a way that the parent club are paying a percentage of the wages up until a certain amount of games are played at which time we become responsible for the full amount.

I don't know if that is what is happening with both Shaw and Morrison or not but it would answer some questions.
Could be correct cruel way to treat any one

We can pay wages.

I can't see any clauses that potentially increase spend on a player beyond initial loan agreement being allowed while in embargo.

I think in this instance the simplest answer is the most obvious one and for whatever reason Maloney just doesn't rate them above other players.

Keepers
Tickle - Keep
Amos - Let go

Right backs
Clare - Let go
Sessegon - Keep as back up

Left backs
Pearce - Keep if wages very low
Chambers - Let go (no chance of staying)

Centre backs
Hughes - Let go (far too good for L1, if get a decent 8 figure fee, would fund multiple signings and contracts for current players to stay and make us a self sufficient club)
Goode - Let go
Kerr - Keep and make captain
Morrison - Let go (no chance of staying)
Watts - Let go

Central Mids
Adeeko - Keep
Matt Smith - Keep
Scott Smith - Keep
Shaw - Let go

Attacking Mids
Aasgaard - Keep
Sze - Keep
Humphrys - Keep (if it means he puts 100% like the first half of the season)
J Smith - Keep
McMannaman - Keep
Jones - Keep

Strikers
Wyke - Let go
Magennis - Let go
Kelman - Let go
Stones - Keep

Coming back from loans
Carragher - Keep
McHugh - Let go
Robinson - Keep
Adams - Keep
Mitchell - Keep
Watson - Keep

We should offer a contract to 25 year old left footed centre mid Joe Powell from Burton, got technical ability and was a shithouse against us, would be on a low wage.

Depending on who goes up but Josh Knight 26 year old centre half from Peterborough and 24 year old right wing back Lasse Sorenson from Lincoln are both out of contract and we should be able to offer better terms and both top end league one players at a decent age.

Would try for Gelhardt on loan too, needs to come back to us to help get his career going again, frozen out at Leeds for no reason, manager clearly doesn't like him.