Who plays in midfield? | Vital Football

Who plays in midfield?

imps_joe

Vital Football Hero
I’m not sure if this has been discussed any where else, but me and my dad were talking through last nights game and the question arose, “would Hamilton get back in if he’s fully fit?”

First and foremost let’s hope Hamilton’s injury is nothing too serious. But, when he does come back, I’m not sure I’d put him straight back in. He was consistently one of our best players prior to the injury, but, the midfield has looked so balance recently. Bishop is on his best form since joint the club, Erahon makes the game look effortless and McGrandles has been excellent.

It will great to have these options!

My view is we're going to need as many fit bodies as possible. We have seen how quickly we can pick up injuries. Draper, Hamilton, Erahon, Bishop, Jackson are just some examples. We have also seen how a strong bench can help shut up shop or in Bishop's case, come on and change a game. The Bishop/ Mcgrandles/ Erahon axis, currently, looks the best we've seen. One injury or one stellar performance from Hamilton, could soon alter that. I think I've sat on the fence enough !! Ps Sorensen doesn't seem to need a midfield, he just goes from full back up through several gears and ends up as part of the strike force.

Football has moved on and has become more than just a starting XI game. Players are started with a view to coming off at the 60 minute mark after running themselves into the ground. Players are named as substitutes because they can come on at that mark and make a difference. We should be very happy that we have sufficient quality in the squad to make those in game changes. Who plays from the 1st minute has become less significant now.

Erhahon plays his position better than anyone and is both a pivot and pivotol. Bishop, McGrandles and Hamilton all play that bit further forward and individually offer something different.

Skill and ball carrying from Bishop, drive and tenacity from Hamilton, play making and game reading from McG. I'm sure there are plenty of minutes, differing opponents and game situations for those three to be utilised aplenty.

Hammy was the first name on the team sheet in terms of energy and effort and he carried us through a very difficult period. If we can play like we did last night he becomes less important however not all games will be like that. We have four great midfield players. I blame Jazzy George personally. All can get injured so it is not an issue as a blend will be required to beat the oppy.

Appreciate it’s a bit of a cliché, but you can’t change a winning team.

When he’s available, I’d expect him to be on the bench and then come off it with 20-25 to go.

But if we keep winning, he will have to patient, and rightly so.

Certainly Erhahon plays. He looks the same level above as Brennan Johnson did and I have no doubt he is the best player in the league.

After that - I think our usual will be 1 creative midfielder (Bishop or Mandriou) and 1 workhorse midfielder (McGrandles or Hamilton). Occasionally we may play 2 creatives or 2 workhorses depending on opposition and strikers we have.

Does Hamilton come back in? For me - no, he’ll have to earn his spot again. Although given how well he’s played that shouldn’t take too long.

What a life! I’ve said all season we had a great squad when they’re on the pitch and this sort of chat is the proof.

...and five excellent centte backs.

Personally in midfield, I'd play Bishop at home and Hamilton away. Alongside Erhahan and McGrandles of course.

buy McGrandles back for a good start to new season, always rated him 1st time round, and very quickly coming into his old self again,so confident the way he gets himself so far forward at times, and areal workhorse getting back at right times.

come on Boys

buy McGrandles back for a good start to new season, always rated him 1st time round, and very quickly coming into his old self again,so confident the way he gets himself so far forward at times, and areal workhorse getting back at right times.

come on Boys
McGrandles out of contract soon so no need to buy him. he has been flawless since he came back, he is like a good ref, so good at his job you can miss it !!

McGrandles out of contract soon so no need to buy him. he has been flawless since he came back, he is like a good ref, so good at his job you can miss it !!

I think Conor signed a 3 year deal at Charlton so he's still get a year and a half left

Well Charlton clearly don't want him so shouldn't be too much, maybe injured according to MS today, needs a scan.

Last edited:
Wonder if suddenly playing a lot has caused the problem?
Huge shame as he's been like the McGrandles of 20/21

My view is we're going to need as many fit bodies as possible. We have seen how quickly we can pick up injuries. Draper, Hamilton, Erahon, Bishop, Jackson are just some examples. We have also seen how a strong bench can help shut up shop or in Bishop's case, come on and change a game. The Bishop/ Mcgrandles/ Erahon axis, currently, looks the best we've seen. One injury or one stellar performance from Hamilton, could soon alter that. I think I've sat on the fence enough !! Ps Sorensen doesn't seem to need a midfield, he just goes from full back up through several gears and ends up as part of the strike force.
With today's news we need ponder no longer, lets wait until Hamilton gets stronger!

He does not appear to be wanted there, though, so they might just want rid to get his salary off their books
I was thinking that. If he was sent to us on loan this winter means he isn't in their plans. We must have a chance then. I would not mind to have him back. Very good player.