Who next? | Page 18 | Vital Football

Who next?

ITK ? To me Hortin is nothing but an irritating poseur. Anyone on this forum could have written that tweet from what is in the public domain, specifically Clive's interviews.
The BBC must think highly of him, he's been on Lincolnshire Parish Magazine Radio for years with no sign of moving up, or even sideways.
My wife likes him, trust me that is one hell of a recommendation.

And he's soundtracked the best 3 years of my 50+ years an Imp, even last week catching up with his commentary of Bruno's goal v Everton put a huge smile on my face, and tempered some of the grim years preceding - 'It's a goal Michael' (I was there, made the same mistake); 2 Imps tackling each other?

He has his flaws but I like the guy.

Fireproof.

The personal qualities and skill set required to be a successful manager in today's game are relatively rare. In particular, it surprises me to hear fans offering the name of their most experienced (and often their favourite) player as the next manager because there is absolutely no logic to it. What makes anyone think any of them has the substantial skills needed as a manager to keep City competitive at League One level and even take them into the Championship? Surely that is what we are looking for now, not a beginner? I thought we were past that stage in our existence.

We have the money available, and what have we been saying for three years? The most important thing Clive Nates has ever spent Lincoln City money on was Danny and Nicky Cowley, no question. And we have also agreed that having money to spend on players is one thing, but having the right person to spend it is another.

Therefore I will be astonished if we see a rookie or an existing player given the job. As when they appointed Danny Cowley in May 2016, Lincoln must build a profile of the successful League One manager, and there will be one. The manager appointed must comply with that profile, otherwise the chances of success are much diminished. There are no guarantees of course, but Lincoln must give themselves the best possible chance of succeeding by doing their homework (already done) and not deviating from that process.

Lincoln will not be sticking a pin in a pile of desperate applications, nor will they be ringing Matt Rhead tomorrow morning and asking him whether he fancies having a go.

ScotImp could you please look at the win ratios for Adkins - many thanks

Adkins "win ratios" should be taken in context with the clubs he was manager of and what league they were in. Did pretty well with Scunthorpe - 2 promotions (our level.) Did pretty well with Saints, L1 and Championship promotion in successive seasons (had a big budget compared to competitors in L1 season, average in Championship.)

But then there is a period where he was managing Saints in the PL, sacked just as he got them going, then jumped in too early with Reading who were already doomed to relegation. Struggled at Hull but then Hull have been a struggle for anyone in recent years.

IF he would come here then he is a manager that is interested in all aspects of the club and all levels, likes to keep tabs on the youth sides, plays attacking football (with 2 up top which should please the numerous posters on here constantly calling for 2 up front.)

And could have his own "Adkinisms" book for all his out of the ordinary "cliches" in his press conferences and media interviews.

Other team's fans hate his positivity.

Last edited:
Let's ask fans of Reading and Sheffield United (I know both) how that worked out.

Reading were on a downward spiral and it coincided with Madjeski selling to the Russian owner!!! The one who immediately bought a big Russian striker.

Sheffield United sacked Nigel Cough after 2 seasons (and their fans don't have a good word to say about him either.) Again they were a club on the down at the time after their relegation to L1 and subsequent investment in 2013 from Middle Eastern moneymen. Chris Wilder has done a sensational job to turn that around.

Is this an Omen:
EA-ndBKXYAAr2zE.jpg

Last edited:
Just woke up and had a read through this thread. Interesting read and mix of names. FWIW my thoughts on a new manager. Almost impossible task to follow the Cowleys. For a start there were two of them splitting responsibilities and they both had the same approach and beliefs towards the game which made life easier. However, they had a holistic approach to LCFC and their skillsets and abilities were unique and can't be replaced by one person. So, it wouldn't surprise me if the club is looking at a management team again. Obviously not brothers but a pair who work well together. I also think (& it hasn't been mentioned on here as far as I can see) 'communication' is a key skill. One of DCs great skills was as a superb communicator, not just with the players, but at all levels. I think this is really important, at so many levels, as it was fundamental to DC getting the whole community on board and invested in the club. It not only boosted interest in the club (& on-field results obviously helped) to bump up the gates short-term but strategically got groups of people on board for the future, especially kids. Have to say being in Aus for so long I've lost touch with potential candidates so can't speculate, but as long as we have Clive Nates & Liam Skully and others I think we should do OK. Wouldn't surprise me if Clive pulls someone unexpected out of the hat. As others have said, I'm sure he's had succession conversations with the Cowleys at times and, as we know from their transfer targets, they seldom bring in players that have been speculated over by the fans and the media. One last thought - this appointment is so important for bragging rights. I can just see all our Codhead friends rubbing their hands in glee at the propect of us going into freefall back to the NL. It mustn't happen, and I don't believe it will. Up the Mighty Imps ????

Darrell Clarke is an interesting one. Experience of taking a side from NL to L1. Assistant to John Ward at one time. UEFA Pro badge. Fairly young but has some experience. Only just taken on Walsall.

if hortin has inside knowledge and is saying efl and above experience that narrows it down a bit, and rules rosenoir out.
the likeable bit about rosenoir is the modern, forward-thinking approach...
rowett is not in work, does that count him out too?

i would question whether we are at the level where anyone like boothroyd would be interested?
He has experience as player and coach

Reading were on a downward spiral and it coincided with Madjeski selling to the Russian owner!!! The one who immediately bought a big Russian striker.

Sheffield United sacked Nigel Cough after 2 seasons (and their fans don't have a good word to say about him either.) Again they were a club on the down at the time after their relegation to L1 and subsequent investment in 2013 from Middle Eastern moneymen. Chris Wilder has done a sensational job to turn that around.

GreenNeedle, the hallmark of a really good manager is to get a team overperforming. That's what has happened at Lincoln and presumably what everyone would like to see continue.

Adkins failed at Reading and Sheffield United and despite the owner's lack of interest at Hull, didn't do much there either considering the wage bill at Hull is £31m (which is the same as Leeds).

I think the only thing Sheffield United fans give Adkins credit for is re-signing Billy Sharp, however a good manager could do more than he did there - we know Wilder did. And are you saying Clough left that club in such a mess that a good manager could only produce a further decline? If so, then Clough isn't a good manager either.

All appointments are a punt and some people just end up in the right place at the right time, but most of the names mentioned by people on this already long thread... God have mercy on us all.

I see Alan Dowson at Woking has been listed in the odds 33/1. Manager of Woking, top of NL, has worked his way up the non-leagues. I think Martin Tyler is still his assistant.

Ainsworth and Flynn are still the only two that spring to mind and tick a fair few of the boxes DC ticked IMO.

Can't see Clive going left-field. This is too bigger appointment for that.

GreenNeedle, the hallmark of a really good manager is to get a team overperforming. That's what has happened at Lincoln and presumably what everyone would like to see continue.

Adkins failed at Reading and Sheffield United and despite the owner's lack of interest at Hull, didn't do much there either considering the wage bill at Hull is £31m (which is the same as Leeds).

I think the only thing Sheffield United fans give Adkins credit for is re-signing Billy Sharp, however a good manager could do more than he did there - we know Wilder did. And are you saying Clough left that club in such a mess that a good manager could only produce a further decline? If so, then Clough isn't a good manager either.

All appointments are a punt and some people just end up in the right place at the right time, but most of the names mentioned by people on this already long thread... God have mercy on us all.

Adkins had one season at Sheffield where he tried to change things on and off the pitch. He met resistance on the off-field side and with his attempt to change philosophy as well as style of play.

At Reading anyone would have failed. He took over with them already down bar a miracle and then Madjeski sold them to a Russian who bought in players Adkins had no say on. Then that Russian disappeared and thus the funds so Adkins had to start playing the youth sides. Maybe the current Bolton manager has failed to get the kids to perform to L1 level?

Adkins should be judged on what he did at Scunthorpe. Same position as we are. Same sort of philosophy (we are wanting) of buying up and coming young players and selling them on for big money.

Clough is and was an old school manager. Did he leave the club in a mess? I don;t know but Sheff fans don't think much of him and from Micky Adams onward Sheff Utd were in a mess.

I agree that some clubs aren't a good fit and for Adkins Sheff Utd were that. He can;t be blamed for Reading because that was chaotic behind the scenes and nothing to do with him. Hull the same. Hull he did his best with and got them firing again. I think there should be some slack given rather than just looking at league positions with clubs and immediately jumping to "failed."

Maybe Chris Wilder is more of a traditional manager dealing with on pitch managing. No designs on changing behind the scenes stuff or linking footballing philosophy from youth up to the first team? Maybe the Sheffield fans couldn't get past his "Adkinisms" and constant positivity? Maybe the new investors changed some things as they got used to the club?

I wouldn't rule out a manager from 1 failed season at 1 club. Reading and Hull were basketcases. He got Southampton punching above their weight (at the time player wise) in the Championship with virtually the same team he got promoted from L1. BTW he finished runner up in L1 3 points behind Brighton despite taking over after 4 games with Southampton 4th from bottom so may have won it if he had those first 4 games too.

Scunthorpe, no-one can argue he got them punching above their weight.

I would suggest he has been unlucky with chairman/club setup more than him failing. At Southampton there were signs the day they won promotion to the Prem,that he might not be there much longer from his comments etc and so it proved to be. Sacked when he had guided them 3 points clear of the relegation zone. After 4 points from the first 10 matches, they then lost 2 games from his last 12 when he was sacked. He was learning on the job at a higher level than he had done before (sound familiar.) Also a season where the chairman decided to buy players without Adkins input. The failure Gaston Ramirez being a £16m flop that Adkins didn't want.

Anyway. I like him, I like his style of football. He is my pick. I think he would fit our "new model." You don't like/rate him. That's fair enough :)

Anyway, I think he is out of our reach though. Either financially ( I don't know whether he would want big money or just care about the job) or in football terms that he may well think he could get another job at Championship level. If we got him then it would be a coup, despite what Sheffield United fans may say.

Last edited:
We aren’t going to find many (if any) managers with a win ratio of what Danny achieved. I know these ratios can be skewed a little by a few factors but looking at a few of the names mentioned as being potential replacements, here are a few stats of win ratios from wiki.

Michael Flynn - 41.7
Gareth Ainsworth - 39.9 (though some of that as caretaker manager)
Phil Parkinson - 36.8
Nigel Clough - 36.6
Nigel Adkins - 42.4
Gary Rowett - 41.5
Alan Dowson - 49.6
Nathan Jones - 45.8

And if we get a female PE Teacher we don’t have to pay them as much ??

That’s a joke before half of you get all bent out of shape.

Well...I was going to post this anyway so a handy post to reply to!!

How about Kate Cowley as Manager?!!
Successful GB heptathlete. Will know football inside out too. Has a useful adviser...
And Lauren as assistant ?

We'd be a world headline maker!