Who is the new star player? | Vital Football

Who is the new star player?

Danny_de_Zeeuw16

Vital Squad Member
I was thinking about this earlier and wondered what the forum thought regarding our current squad. We have lost our amazing wonder kid in Reece James, Powell who was perceived to be our most gifted has now left us for stoke, we have lost good loans in Walton and Robinson returning to their parent club and sold grigg last season.

Who do you feel in our current set up, (of course many to be signed yet) is the best player at the club?

It’s a valid question as any new signings will be Looking at our group and thinking about whether they would like to join up. I’m seriously scratching my head at this point which is quite concerning as without real and proper investment from the owners and that in my opinion the league looks much stronger at the bottom this year we could really struggle. Where’s the flair? Where’s the goals coming from? Is jones in enough in net? Can we shore up our leaky defence? Are we robust enough as a squad far too many injuries last year.

This is NOT a criticism of the manager he did a great job last year, but it has to be said he’s really up against it this year.

Would you say.....Jacobs, fox, morsy and Massey ? I seriously have no clue as to who our stand out man is

Those players you mention have left will all be replaced - they may be better or they may not be but I don't think you can ask those questions until the start of the season at the earliest

Good question Danny... I think now that James and Powell have left there isn’t really an obvious candidate. If we’re going on who is the most important to the side it’d have to be Morsy for me, but if we’re going on flair and who fans of other clubs would probably mention as our star player, it’d be Massey, which is an incredible achievement for him considering the low regard in which he was held this time last year.

As was said above though, it depends on the signings we make and who leaves/stays.

Those players you mention have left will all be replaced - they may be better or they may not be but I don't think you can ask those questions until the start of the season at the earliest

I agree but which ones of our players would you feel has the most value to th club or would entice these new players in? Obvious we will try and improve our squad but this is our core, our backbone. Are we an attractive enough proposition?

Good question Danny... I think now that James and Powell have left there isn’t really an obvious candidate. If we’re going on who is the most important to the side it’d have to be Morsy for me, but if we’re going on flair and who fans of other clubs would probably mention as our star player, it’d be Massey, which is an incredible achievement for him considering the low regard in which he was held this time last year.

As was said above though, it depends on the signings we make and who leaves/stays.

Fair shouts there I just hope within that lot there’s enough ability to attract new talent and that they don’t sign for other clubs.

Morsy, no question about it. He’s the one player most if not every club in the division would have in their squads if offered to them. We’ve got no genuine star quality though, no one who can come up with some magic on their own to win us a game without Powell and James. If Gelhardt was actually given a proper chance though...

If he can stay fit and get game time I think Pilkington has the flair and ability to be an exciting and entertaining player to watch. I doubt his presence in the squad will help persuade other players to join us though. I don't think we have anyone of that calibre yet.

Could be a good thing for us to have no star names as it helps bond the group together. Perhaps we could become the new Wimbledon, a team with no star players whose group mentality and togetherness brought them success.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking for exceptionally talented players to replace those that have left but I don't think that bringing in big ego's would necessarily be good for the club. Powell and Reece James both had reputations of being good players but were never "Billy Big Bollocks" according to the reports coming out of the training ground. Can we replace them with players of a similar ilk ? That will be the problem for the manager in my opinion.

Every one of the players that have left have mentioned how tight the dressing room are and how the atmosphere in the club made them feel at home. One bad apple could ruin all this, and big name signings are more often than not the cause of dressing room unrest.

Could be a good thing for us to have no star names as it helps bond the group together. Perhaps we could become the new Wimbledon, a team with no star players whose group mentality and togetherness brought them success.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking for exceptionally talented players to replace those that have left but I don't think that bringing in big ego's would necessarily be good for the club. Powell and Reece James both had reputations of being good players but were never "Billy Big Bollocks" according to the reports coming out of the training ground. Can we replace them with players of a similar ilk ? That will be the problem for the manager in my opinion.

Every one of the players that have left have mentioned how tight the dressing room are and how the atmosphere in the club made them feel at home. One bad apple could ruin all this, and big name signings are more often than not the cause of dressing room unrest.

Interesting take on it. It is a good point that the players might gel better now that there isn't one person who is focused on more than the others. Also, not having one star player isn't necessarily a bad thing or a limiting factor for a team's success. Huddersfield didn't have a star player when they won promotion in 2016-17, and Cardiff finished 2nd in 2017-18, despite not having a single player in the Team of the Season for that year! Players like Powell and James are great to have, but I don't think they're indispensable to our success. We just need a group of players that can play well together as a team and we should be all right, I think.

Last edited: