Who is the most skilful player you've ever seen play for The Imps? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Who is the most skilful player you've ever seen play for The Imps?

Defender Trevor Peake
CM. Peter Gain
Striker. Peter Graham
Winger. George Shipley

Peter Graham was ahead of his time. Thin lightweight build with a languid style but technically superb with unbelievable ball control and ability to read the game. Blighted by injuries but anyone lucky enough to remember him would place him as the top one of the list
But Alan Buckley kept playing son Adam instead!

He didn’t play for us for long but I seem to remember Junior Agogo scoring a ridiculous back-flick volley from about 18 yards once.

But as for those who played any length of time, I’d agree with Gain and Puttnam.

I'm not saying he was THE most skilful but as he has not had a mention in dispatches as yet I think it is worth remembering Gordon Hobson had a trick or two up his sleeve.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher was a very skillful player, a cheeky mid-air chip over the keeper made it onto Soccer AM's skill spot.

In my time, Peter Graham and Peter Gain. I missed out on George Hannah by just a few years, but my dear old Dad said he was the best player ever to grace Sincil Bank.

Whilst Peter Gain,Glenn Cockrell and Trevor Peake, have to be near the top. May I also add a forgotten one, who we got from the army Matt Carmichael. Not skillful in the way you think. But he could read a game so well, was always in the right place the type of player you don't really notice because of the job he does. But shows in a game when he doesn't play. One of my favorite players in the 80's.

Peter Gain, David Puttnam, Glenn Cockerill and Gary Taylor-Fletcher were all very skilful. Tony James was quality with the ball as well for a centre-back, you never saw him just hoof it.

Differing skills required of course for each position, for me the one whose skill for his position is Phil Neale.
Mmmm, silky smooth with that languid class of a well timed cover drive.

Not just an LB though, won successive motm at CB then CM including a stunning volleyed goal at Tranmere.