Who is the most skilful player you've ever seen play for The Imps? | Vital Football

Who is the most skilful player you've ever seen play for The Imps?

Doug Wright & Dick Neal

And

Andy Graver for knowledge of being in the right place to score the goals he did

Especially at that time the ball was a lot different & heavier.

Just for the older generation of Imps supporters.

Got to say George Shipley for most skilful, just ahead of Dave Smith. Jack Lewis at his best could turn it on as well.

David Puttnam is 1st name that came to mind.

Would have to have a think about others, but probably a few players who had lots of skill but didn’t apply themselves fully, N’Guessen would be one I think.

Peter Graham for me too, sublime skill encapsulated by a "Cruyff Turn", admittedly against Rochdale rather than in a World Cup.

Messrs Smith and Harding from the same time are the perfect answer to those who portray GT as an overseer of long ball hoofing, both could show an incredible touch.

Cockerill, Gain...

Recently, a shout for Nathan Arnold - The Goal involved a subtle dummy to wrong foot the keeper; and Gateshead was magnificent, a week or so later Diego Costa tried something similar and put it in Row Z.

Peter Gain loved a drag back in the middle of the park.

Carayol had a trick or two as well but I'm thinking back and I don't think we've had too many of those players down the years. N'Guessan would be there.

Can't add much to what's already been said. We didn't see that much of him, but the diminutive David Gilbert is worth a mention. We let him go and he e eventually ended up at Grimsby and had a good career there. May have had a few demons off the pitch though.
Think he was in the team along side Shipley that absolutely battered Reading at home, either 1981 or 1982.
Local lad too.

Last edited:
Trevor Peake, excellent in the air, he never hoofed the ball, he stroked it clear, great player

Defender Trevor Peake
CM. Peter Gain
Striker. Peter Graham
Winger. George Shipley

Peter Graham was ahead of his time. Thin lightweight build with a languid style but technically superb with unbelievable ball control and ability to read the game. Blighted by injuries but anyone lucky enough to remember him would place him as the top one of the list

Of course what is or what is not skill is quite subjective.

It was a hell of a skill that Grant Brown had in the ability to hoof it almost the full pitch distance all the time

Or Nat Brown's ability to pass to Row G in the Selinity most home games. So much practice must have gone into that