Who Do You Think You Are? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Who Do You Think You Are?

The Fear - 4/5/2017 15:26

Where did you have it done BBJ and how much was it? Last one I saw was over £100 and I decided I couldn't really justify spending that. Was it comprehensive enough for you to consider it worth it?

Well, as it was a gift, so we didn't need to worry about the cost! But, yes, as we're both very interested in family history, I think it's worthwhile.
Right now it's showing on the Ancestry website at €95 plus postage (€20, I think). Obviously, it'd be less in sterling. However, from time to time, they'll have a sale (one's just finished, alas) where it was going was €70 plus postage.
You could always buy kits for your parents as a gift (assuming they'd like that) and that would give you a bit of a fix on yourself as well).

The Fear - 4/5/2017 15:14

:1:

The one thing I read years back was about Fear being old Anglo Saxon landowners. Another though said it had Germanic roots. Buggered if I know!

Yes, you've certainly got a name that inspires interest. You can see how some come about, but yours is something different. It would be worth getting to the bottom of it.

Very interesting thread BBJ.

How far back can they go with your ancestry? All I can go on is my surname (Doyle) which originated in South East Ireland (where I grew up), and means "dark haired foreigner" or something similar, and is of Viking descent, Danish I think.

I'd love to know if there is any other parts of me I don't know about!

Stephen Jay Hawkings - 4/5/2017 18:24

Very interesting thread BBJ.

How far back can they go with your ancestry? All I can go on is my surname (Doyle) which originated in South East Ireland (where I grew up), and means "dark haired foreigner" or something similar, and is of Viking descent, Danish I think.

I'd love to know if there is any other parts of me I don't know about!

Yes, Doyle, does mean what you say - more information at http://irelandroots.com/doyle.htm
There are two answers to your question, SJH.
As regards tracing your ancestry, you can do your own research through public and parish records, gravestones, family history websites, family bibles etc etc. Right now, I'm only back to the late 1700s and early 1800s, having found some of my great-great-great-grandparents.
I've heard of a man (not sure if this is apochryphal or not) who has traced his line back to Adam.
The thing is, though, that if you get a "break", you can push back quite a bit. We all have two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents and so on. However, it doesn't just keep doubling ad infinitum. What happens is that it starts going the other way. This is because there were fewer people in the past than there are now. Even a hundred years ago, there were 20 million fewer people in the UK than there are now. At the time of Shakespeare, the population of England was about 4 million.
Ultimately, then, many of our lines start to cross. Apparently, we're all eighteenth cousins or something like that. So if you find a link with someone else's family tree, and (s)he is further back than you, then you can add the ancestors you both share to your own genealogy.
DNA is a little different. It's about our origins.
My friend in Nottingham had traced her ancestry back to the 1600s but she found no-one who had been born in Ireland. However, she now finds she's 38% Irish. This must mean that many of those ancestors had ancestors themselves from Ireland - but back in the day.
A more dramatic - but perhaps less surprising, bearing in mind where he was born - story is that of a man I've got to know recently who was born and bred in the United States. His DNA test came back as 98% Irish!
I don't profess to know how spitting into a tube can do this - I'm not a geneticist - it's absolutely remarkable.
Ancestry (which is where our tests were done) say that the "Ethnicity Estimate" covers thousands of years ago. I understand that other more advanced tests can find neatherandal traces which might explain why you're tall or small, hairy or not, and so on. (So far, no-one has discovered why some people turn out to have a propensity to be Birmingham City supporters. That will be a breakthrough if it happens.)

Thanks BBJ

Yes, agreed Heath, it's slightly different and could be interesting!

BBJ - 4/5/2017 19:25

So far, no-one has discovered why some people turn out to have a propensity to be Birmingham City supporters. That will be a breakthrough if it happens.

:19:

Cheers for that BBJ ,fascinating stuff, I'd love to do the DNA test. A friend of mine is going to do it, I think from the same website, she's Irish/South African/Indian so that will be interesting.

Funnily enough, at the bottom of the page of the link you posted there's a guy from Birmingham asking about Doyles from Carlow (where I'm originally from).

If I turn out to be related to him and he's of the Bluenose kind.... :10:

Yep, love all the family history stuff and find it fascinating. I see it as retirement project to get on with when the time comes.
In fact my Dad has done some work already in his retirement and has gone back to the 1800's so far. Knew some of it anyway but i am a north/south mix going back a couple of generations. My Mums side is west London. My Grandma always would be able to tell stories of living in White city during the Blitz, even though she sadly succumbed to dementia these memories always stayed with her.

My Grannie (Dads mum) was born and bred Lancashire, Southport area. My Grandpa 's family is Manchester heritage . My Great grandfather served in the Boer War then WW1 being injured on The Somme and after recovering moved to work in Brazil. My Grandpa was actually born in Brazil and had dual nationality. I used to say this meant that as footballer i could actually play for Brazil had i been good enough!. If some of those 'Irish' players under Jack Charlton qualified for ROI then well.....
My Grandpa then moved from Brazil and lived in Chile before moving to England.
My Mum and Dad have recently visited the town in Chile where he lived. See what i mean about retirement project!.

Sounds great, Mr M - and I am retired so can spend a bit more time on family history than I used to.
However, I've so far found no ancestry born outside these islands.
I do remember going to the street in Liverpool where my greatgrandmother was born and, to my surprise, I got a bit choked. Likewise, but not so surprisingly, when I visited her son's war grave (my greatuncle Michael) in Vermelles, France, it was extremely moving.

I started tracing my family tree

Until I realised most of the fucking Idiots were still swinging in it :3:

I have both an Irish and British passport due to my Irish parents and grandparents etc. A recent DNA test on my brother revealed he 83% Irish (Southern Ireland) with 12% Great Britain ( Southern English) He hasn't told me where the other 5% belongs!?

I have been thinking of taking the ancestery.com DNA test myself but unless I'm the milkman's son, would it be worth it because wouldn't the test reveal the same results?

Any advice or experiences with this would be most helpful......Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thomas Holte - 15/8/2017 12:10

I have both an Irish and British passport due to my Irish parents and grandparents etc. A recent DNA test on my brother revealed he 83% Irish (Southern Ireland) with 12% Great Britain ( Southern English) He hasn't told me where the other 5% belongs!?

I have been thinking of taking the ancestery.com DNA test myself but unless I'm the milkman's son, would it be worth it because wouldn't the test reveal the same results?

Any advice or experiences with this would be most helpful......Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thomas, we get 50% of our DNA from each of our parents but except in the case of identical twins, it'll be a different 50% for each of our siblings. So your own DNA will not be exactly the same as your brother's - unless you're twins.
I see that your brother is marginally more Irish than me!

PS In my previous post, which I've now edited, I did (in error) say that Ancestry had a special offer on at the moment and gave a link.
I've removed the link as it was to "My Heritage", another site which, in my opinion, does not do as good as job as Ancestry in terms of detailing ones DNA.
Sorry for any confusion caused.

Thanks for the reply BBJ, Somehow I guessed if anyone was going to reply it would be you!

Based on the information you have given me I will proceed with theDNA test through ancestry.com but it's a joint thing with my wife and won't be until April next year because we no longer live in the UK (Mallorca) and then we will pick up our kits that will be be sent to our daughter's address in Bournemouth (she is studying at Bournemouth Uni) to complete the procedure then send it off and wait!?

We have done some research into the family tree and have records of my fathers family living in Dublin from a 1901 census. my Great Grandparents from my Moms side lived in Dunlavin Co Wicklow, the Church they went to is still there, as is the terrace they lived in in the year 1901. A memorial commemorates 36 local men slaughtered in the town in the uprising of 1798. One name is Martin Walsh and we are at present trying to trace the family back to him.

I will let you know the results next year and It would be great to have a little bit more of Irish in me than my brother, however, time will tell!?

Thomas Holte - 16/8/2017 13:47

Thanks for the reply BBJ, Somehow I guessed if anyone was going to reply it would be you!

Based on the information you have given me I will proceed with theDNA test through ancestry.com but it's a joint thing with my wife and won't be until April next year because we no longer live in the UK (Mallorca) and then we will pick up our kits that will be be sent to our daughter's address in Bournemouth (she is studying at Bournemouth Uni) to complete the procedure then send it off and wait!?

We have done some research into the family tree and have records of my fathers family living in Dublin from a 1901 census. my Great Grandparents from my Moms side lived in Dunlavin Co Wicklow, the Church they went to is still there, as is the terrace they lived in in the year 1901. A memorial commemorates 36 local men slaughtered in the town in the uprising of 1798. One name is Martin Walsh and we are at present trying to trace the family back to him.

I will let you know the results next year and It would be great to have a little bit more of Irish in me than my brother, however, time will tell!?

Here's another couple of sites you should try (if you haven't already). They're both free.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
https://familysearch.org/
You might also find this of use as well. It's kind of like an Irish version of the Doomsday Book for the mid 19th century.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
If you end up being more Irish than your brother, then you'll both be more Irish than me!