Who are your Aston Villa legends? | Vital Football

Who are your Aston Villa legends?

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Just wondered who your Aston Villa legends are.

Just seen a list from someone that has:

Dennis Mortimer
Sid Cowans
Tony Morley
Peter Withe
Ian Taylor
Paul McGrath
Ugo
Stan Staunton
David Platt
Dalian Atkinson
Tony Daley
Gareth Southgate
Brian Little
Nigel Spinks
Dion Dublin
Stiliyan Petrov

Who wouldn't you have in that list? Who would you add to that list?!

Rimmer, Swain, Williams (Gibson), Evans, McNaught, Mortimer, Bremner, Shaw, Withe, Cowans, Morley.
Plus: McGrath, Little, Gidman, Aitken, Spink, Townsend, Merson, Taylor (both), Saunders (R).
Could have been (but said stupid stuff after/when leaving): Barry, Yorke, Bosnich, Southgate.

I'm not sure Gareth Southgate has 'legend' status - a fine player, and did well for us, but a Villa legend? Not for me, Clive.

Obviously the European Cup team are a shoo-in.

I'd definitely add Gareth Barry to the list

Otherwise, that is a pretty decent list. Bit surprised Gabby didn't make the cut though :lol:

Agree no Southgate.

Merson I'd add.

Saunders probably

McNaught I'd add

I'd also have Barry I must say.

No Platt for me , Southgate 50/50 .Personally I would have Andy Gray , Ray Graydon Allan Evans (In fact all of the 14 that won the league) Joh n Gidman and Gareth Barry.

Olof Mellberg and Martin Laursen took on a legendary status as well really didn't they in the more modern part of our history

Andy Gray is an interesting shout. Does he split fans a bit? Probably not I guess.

I suppose there are THE legends, and MY legends.

The entire European Cup team would obviously be legends but I was only born in Oct 79, so that came a bit too early for me.

Started my Villa obsession in around 86/87, so starting back then I would have to say Alan McInally. His stint was way too breif but while he was here he was just a monster. They didn't call him Rambo for nothing! When he was sold I believe it was for a then UK record transfer fee which just proves how good he was.

Playing wise I'd have added David Platt, but I just can't consider him a legend due to the way he's treated the club since he left. I'd love to know why he doesn't seem to like us. We made him. he seems to have nothing but disdain for Aston Villa. Very odd.

Next up would be Spink and Cowans. Probably the only 2 of the Euro winners that I was lucky enough to still see play in the late 80's early 90s and they were still as good then as they were when they won the European Cup!

Paul McGrath is an obvious choice. What can I say that hasn't been said already? Best Ever.

Next. Steve Staunton. I was a MASSIVE Steve Staunton fan. I'm left footed too so as a kid learning to play I modelled myself on Stan. I use to practice Free Kicks and corners pretending to be him and always had No.3 Stan on the back of my Villa kits.

Dwight Yorke just misses out for the same reasons as David Platt. I wish these players would just shut up sometimes. I know we can't expect them all to wax lyrical about us all the time, but better to not say anything than to be plain disrespectful to the club that made you.

Dean Saunders would be next. Probably the last player I can ever remember wanting to leave a massive club to join us when he was still wanted at the other club. Getting him from Liverpool was a real coup and I still remember Big Ron unveiling him on the pitch. Brilliant.

Ian Taylor. Mr Aston Villa. And what a player too... a fact that often gets overlooked. Last of the real box to box midfielders.

Gareth Barry is the true definition of a legend. What a player. Incredible skill, versatility, and a model pro. Didn't get the hatred he got when he left to win trophies. He deserved to make something of his career and it wasn't going to happen with us.

I'm going to put Paul Merson in. Touch and go this one, but he was brilliant for us and always has nice things to say about us on SSN.

Mellberg and Laursen. Rocks!!! Passionate! Scored goals. Hated the Blues. Loved em.

Stan Petrov. Some might be adding him out of sentiment, but I always loved Stan. Even when he was a bit of a scapegoat and getting slated by some I defended him. People just never saw the work he did. Also in the dressing room I understand he was brilliant. Absolute winner and let teams mates know if they weren't pulling their weight.

Last one... and I might be the only one here... but I loved Wilf Bouma. He had a touch time in his first season but he really just got better and better. Had a great relationship with the fans and was a real good man around the place.

So thats it.... none in the last 10 years or so....... depressing.

Imagine making a team out of that lot though, we'd win everything.

Spink
Mellberg
Laursen
Mcgrath
Staunton
Cowans
Taylor
Barry
Merson
Saunders
McInally

The common thing with my lot is that not only were they great players but they always have a nice thing to say about us too. That goes a long way to getting legendary status and is why the likes of Platt and Yorke will never be legends in my eyes.

Yes it is a bit subjective isn't it.

Not many from recent times are there . Petrov and Barry ,but they go back to the 6th place finishes. Maybe Milner for me from that era as well , just for the way he played in his last game for us.

I'd forgotten all about Rambo! Loved him, albeit his time with us was quite brief.

And yes, Mellberg and Laursen of the more recent vintages deserve legendary status.

I liked Rambo but can never understand why his name is still sung, especially by those who weren't even born when he was here, as he stayed such a short time and then fecked orf!

I think any list of legends must include some of the team that dragged us from Division 3 at the start of a 10 year period which culminated in winning the League title and European Cup......so I would include Ray Graydon and Andy Lochhead. A little further on who can forget big Chris Nicholl, the man sweated blood for Villa!

I'll try and break it down to my favourite 5 players from each decade.

I first started to go to Villa Park with my dad in the 60's and then by myself which wasn't difficult because our house was only a stone's throw from the ground. They are not in any order of preference just my favorite players I grew up with and liked for different reasons.

!960's:
1, Colin Withers.
2, Tony Hateley.
3, John Sleeuwenhoek.
4, Charlie Aitken.
5, Willie Anderson.

1970's:
1, Bruce Rioch.
2, Ray Graydon.
3, John Gidman.
4, Andy Gray.
5, Brian Little.