Whittingham's Woes | Vital Football

Whittingham's Woes

MrDavishPFC

Vital Newbie
<p>As I sat contently listening to Express FM on Saturday, with Pompey Live playing, I was ready to be entertained by a Pompey team, who were&nbsp;few points from the playoffs with a game in hand. With the home team coming straight off the mark, Pompey were put under immediate pressure. The Wombles of Wimbledon went ahead just after half an hour of play, with Andy Frampton capitalising on yet <strong><em>another </em></strong>defensive error. Nevertheless, I expected the team to rally round and fight back. Instead, they seem to roll over and give in, something many Pompey fans will never do.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Wimbledon continued to press, looking for a second, to make their lead a lot more comfortable. With Pompey counterattacking very well, it looked as though a goal may be snatched back, which in my eyes, would have been a result, in comparison to recent weeks' performances. Alas, this goal never came, and Wimbledon continued to look threatening going forward, as does every team in this league against our defence. This continued pressing, resulted in Frampton scoring again the 74th minute, followed by another from Sammy Moore just 8 minutes later. With calls for 'Whittingham out' already spiralling around Twitter, the nail certainly went in the coffin when the Dons made it 4-0 in added time. In my eyes, a well deserved victory for the home side, and quite frankly appalling from Portsmouth.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>A lot of the players signed for this season were title winners, play-off finalists, and catalysts for promotion teams in both League 1 &amp; 2. However, these credentials don't seem to have materialised this year. With 15 games played, the Blues have won, drawn, and lost 5 games a piece. Baring this in mind, many of the draws (Accrington Stanley, Torquay) were winnable, with some good displays, but no end product. Again, the defeats suffered have mostly been self-inflicted, with five or six goals being conceded due to defensive errors, Plymouth Argyle away springing to mind.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Admittedly, we were told to give this team time to gel, and we did just that. No qualms over a 4-1 loss at the hands of Oxford United, nor the 1-0 defeat to Fleetwood Town (<em>who are they?)</em>, but losing in the manner we have been doing in recent weeks, conceding <strong>ELEVEN </strong>goals in <strong>TWO WEEKS</strong>, just isn't acceptable. No other team in this league have scored as many goals as Pompey, but no other team has conceded as many either. Admittedly, it could be teething problems, adapting to life in League Two, but as I previously stated, most of this squad have played in this division, and are said to be at the top of their games', so where are the results?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>In comes the issue with management. Does Guy have enough experience as a manager? For me, no. He seems to prefer the coaching role, which has now been taken over by David Connolly, and the talk of Ricardo Rocha at training suggests he is also here to coach. So where do we go from here? I would like to give Whittingham a few weeks, in the run up to Christmas to decide the future of the club. Any changes made after, or during January will be a waste, as that is the time to make an vital additions to the squad.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Many names have already been circulating, with Martin Allen springing up on several occasions. Another is former Pompey manager, Steve Cotterill, who has hinted he has 'unfinished business', and is 'jealous of how well the club is run'. Perhaps his 'hoof-ball' style would be effective in the division? It certainly has been for other clubs playing against us. My one&nbsp;concern&nbsp;with his appointment would be his history with youngsters. Remember Marlon Pack and Matt Ritchie? Both now very successful, but sold for pennies by Cotterill, only to replace them with Kitson and Brown. Another manager is&nbsp;Neil Warnock, a person many Pompey fans seem to dislike. He recently stated in an interview that he 'would love to work for Pompey'. Perhaps a complete re-shape is on the cards, with an experienced manager taking a Director of Football role, overseeing the manager? These are all things that must have been, and still are, going through Ian McInnes head after he walked out of The Cherry Red Records Stadium after The Wombles fourth goal went in.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Onwards and upwards, In Pompey We Trust!</p><p>Written by Harry Davis <em>- Harry tweets at @MrDavishPFC</em></p>

Nice one Harry.

Given the week we have had I wasnt sure we would get a blog this week but glad to see we did!

Will add more views (either late tonight or sometime tomorrow) with it also front page added.

As most know I will stand behind Guy until the situation is so bleak we HAVE to make a change until then I will happily back him... although I do share the concern over the way we have been playing ... but I think the players need to take their share of the blame too - The moment they step over the line what thay do is out ot the control of Guy.

We constantly hear the players promise this that and the other but how many have lived up to their promises - None I suggest

How many 'We owe the fans one' have we heard .. how many 'I am really excited to play for Pompey' have been rolled out ... not to mention the 'I think we could challenge for a play-off place' hyperbole they throw at us week after week. Truth is our best player is one of our own .. and if you take Jed out of the equation who is the next most consistent player ? .. ermm..

Some may lob the sh1te at Guy and suggest Cotterill (memories like sieves fellas) Warnock (Gobsh1te who would try and become bigger than the club) or Martin Allen (Won League Two but could handle League One) but what about the players do they not deserve some sh1te lobbed their way too?

So, we lost 3 games on the trot, one of which was a league match. I seem to remember a 6 match unbeaten run (all league matches) immediately before that. short, short memories. :97: :97: :97:

I have said it before, and will say it again. I am not convinced that Whittingham is the answer going forward. It is not '<I>just 3 defeats in a week</I>' that have seen people question him, it is the way things have been going (unbeaten in 6 league games before Wimbledon or not) in the league for several weeks – results just papered over some cracks...

Yep, the players need a rocket up 'em too, so Whittingham should give it to them if he has not already. They go on the pitch and do the business, or not, but it is the boss that has to fire them up and motivate them to get going. When they take to the pitch they should have enough about them to know what to do. An inability to see what is going wrong, and changing it, is doing Whittingham little favours as is an insistence on playing player out of position when it clearly does not work and formations or systems do not work either.

Players need time to gel?

They have had time enough to gel; attempting to chuck this one back at us (among others things) the news has this week does not wash with me. They should have gelled by now and if they are not good enough lets not forget it was the manager and his team that brought them in.

I would worry about him being given any more money in January, and basically think (if he is still around?) he SHOULDNT be given any to spend and works with what he has, we have enough young talent around that could do an equal, or better job to what we have without the need to spend anymore.

Basically, when talking about Dan Potts coming in (when Dan Butler has not got a sniff this season) I said the following in another thread, which more of less sums up where I am at the moment: '<I>Not ready? (Butler)

I know last season was different, but he was ready then and ready this season as he was clearly down as Whittingham's first choice left back no two ways about it - a couple of mistakes and he reverts back to being 'too young', but those that come in get away with almost making as many as a costly mistake or two per game...

Will Whittingham be in charge in January?

Maybe, maybe not, but if he is I think we MUST look to perhaps limiting the transfer movement that he does and look to involving those he has sent out to get 'football under their belts' as the more players that come in the easier it is to forget them but we are not in a position where we can afford too many mistakes...

Those looking at who we recruit need to think very carefully as lets face it money has already been wasted on goalies and left backs this season, within weeks the two goalies that came in werent good enough and we were onto goalie no.3, three left backs have been brought in this season (Painter, Cooper (ok, perhaps not come in as a left back but could, and I think has, played in the role) and now Potts when we already had one that couldnt get a look-in!

I am not trying to constantly bash Whittingham but everything comes under the microscope more and more now so moves have to be SPOT ON and Potts literally has to hit the ground running and prove a cracking signing or the knives will be out more and more...</I>'

So, basically Whittingham is at the point now where he cannot give people sticks to beat him with.

I sincerely hope he can turn the corner in the coming weeks but if something dramatic does not happen, and if Potts does not delivery immediately (poor bugger, pressure is put very much on his young shoulders too!) it will be 'another mistake' that people will highlight.

All of this said, even if I might not have confidence or faith that Whittingham can take us forward, all the while he is in charge he, and the team, continue to get my support as they always have over the years and always will – back-to-back home games will either give him some rest bite or leave that hot seat almost untenable by 10pm on Tuesday night tho one would think...

Chix, I agree we should back Guy but he needs to settle the team down, injuries allowing, we need consistencies and the players need to have confidence that they will get backing even with the odd mistake. Carson seems to have lost confidence and so do some others... If Guy backs the players the way he did last season I am sure we can turn the corner but keep getting in new players is not the way forward for me. It needs to improve and I am sure it will, but if we do start to flirt with relegation proper then a change should be made.

As for the suggested alternatives... Warnock would be great if possible and if we really need to. The manger version of Paul Dickov/Robbie Savage.. hate them against you but love them on your side.

Cotterill... no no no! Either a blatant liar or completely potty!! Remember the comment that the average age of the team was 23/24!!! Given time he is guaranteed to waste money and talent building a team of expensive has beens that plays crap football and loses more than it wins!

Lorna, it's not just 3 defeats, it's a string of errors that have left us loitering in mid-table. If these issues were ironed out in training sessions at the very beginning of the season, I feel we would be challenging for an automatic promotion place. Bare in mind 4 teams go up in League 2, I would have liked to think we'd at very least push for the play-offs. If the sloppy goals hadn't been conceded, we'd be in the top 6 with the most goals scored, and certainly be confident in our position.

However, when we're attacked, it seems as though the defenders give up, and don't put in 100%, and I feel this negativity has spread to the rest of the squad. Give the team a shake-up, play a few bench warmers and let them prove their worth. After all, it can't get much worse than losing three games consecutively, league games or not.

But Harry .. isn't that what he did (play the bench warmers) against Newport ... Padovani, Craddock, Mahon all got a run out ... Still I am optimistic for tomorrow .. Just don't wanna get let down again tomorrow

Those woes continue dont they.

Surely its win or bust for Whittingham on Tuesday now... Even if we do win it would be a stay of execution I feel.

I think chix pointed out that we have never lost to Southend... will that fact remain tho?

I'm going to the game tomorrow night, and I have a horribly bad feeling about it. I hope the defence aren't shaking after conceding another 2 goals on Saturday. I say shake the team up, show the underachievers that they won't be keeping their place if they continue their current form. Get them training on their weaknesses, and get them pushing for their place again.

Roll on tomorrow night.

Well Harry let's hope we score a couple of early ones, we need to boss midfield to give the defence a sense of solidity, because if the piece in the Chichester Observer is to be believed Guy doesn't know his best defence!
If that is the case, God help us! If he doesn't, who does??
On the positive side, we turned over a supposedly strong Rochdale at the Park so why not Southend?

I don't believe it for one minute, but I'm trying to be positive.

Pents .. I've just read that article about the back four and must say that even I (Guys best mate) can't believe that he doesn't know his best back four.

I think he needs to name one and stick with one ... irrespective of results .. I don't think playing players week in week out without changes but boy at least tell them they are gonna play the next four games and let them have some stability without the fear of being dropped

For me it would be .. Potts Bradley Devera East .. whether that is anybody else choice I don't know but whoever he picks he should stay with for a few games .. win or lose

I too pray we get a result tomorrow but also have that sinking feeling...

Even the most blinkered fans (me included) are beginning to despair .. but I don't lay all the blame at Guys door nor do I think we are in crisis yet.... That's not to say I won't change my mind in a few weeks

S****horpe came without a manager and seemed to do alright...

Maybe manager-less doesn't have to mean rudderless. Pick the team out of a hat and let them off the leash.

Ok, I might be being rather silly there, but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, let's see what tonight brings. You never know... there might be surprise in store... PUP

cornypomp - 25/11/2013 13:16

S****horpe came without a manager and seemed to do alright...

Maybe manager-less doesn't have to mean rudderless. Pick the team out of a hat and let them off the leash.

Ok, I might be being rather silly there, but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, let's see what tonight brings. You never know... there might be surprise in store... PUP

Now you're talking Corns ... I've got the balls if you've got the hat :10: :14:

Yep, read that too and sorry (do not want to keep battering GW, I seriously dont!) but if the manager is coming out with things like that it seriously worries me even more...

Anything less than an exciting draw against Southend will make the Scunny barracking seem tame I fear for GW.