Which Ground Is The Coldest You've Ever Visited On An Away Day? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Which Ground Is The Coldest You've Ever Visited On An Away Day?

These are all good arguments for aligning our season with the League of Ireland or Rugby League.

Similar experience at Huddersfield at the old Leeds Road .Pleasant spring day in Lincoln.Artic wind and heavy snow at Huddersfield without, of course the appropriate clothing.Lyle and Scott jumper,trainers and split chords is not weather proof attire
By far and away the coldest two games I ever attended were at Leeds Road, but neither involved the Imps. Coldest Imps game was at Hartlepool in the late 80s/early 90s, but I can't remember which one (frozen brain cells probably)

I've already said that Hartlepool is the correct answer but there was a New Years Day match at Scarborough, probably around 1990, where I was stood in several layers and felt chilly, but there was a fella next to me in just a shirt and denim jacket. Madness! He was definitely in the most discomfort I've ever seen anyone appear to be at football.

It always seemed to be cold on the away terrace at the old Saltergate in Chesterfield. I remember an evening match there in the Jackson era which was nithering. But the coldest I've ever been was at Edgar St, Hereford 27/11/2010. FA Cup 2-2 draw. It was the start of that really cold snap we had back then. On the way home the car thermometer got down to -12c. Bitter. And so was the football.

Last edited:
Belle View Doncaster April 1989 during one of the coldest Aprils since the war. Stood on the open terrace the wind howling in our faces and the sleet stinging our cheeks. We were absolutely terrible then Gordon Hobson let one go from 25 yards and it flew into the top corner our only shot on target in the entire match to win 1-0.

I was properly chilled to the bone that day and it took me hours to thaw out but wow it was worth it!

Belle View Doncaster April 1989 during one of the coldest Aprils since the war. Stood on the open terrace the wind howling in our faces and the sleet stinging our cheeks. We were absolutely terrible then Gordon Hobson let one go from 25 yards and it flew into the top corner our only shot on target in the entire match to win 1-0.

It may be the game in February 1990 you're thinking of which was when Hobson scored the only goal of the game.

This was the 1-0 game in April 1989:

Doncaster 1988-89 - text.jpg

Gateshead away in the FA Trophy back in January 2017 for me.

Got a cuppa in the first half to help warm up. Went to get another one at the start of the second half after the HT queue had died down, but stopped halfway up the steps to watch Habergham take and score a free kick equaliser. Turned back round to go get drinks but it had shut in the meantime! School boy error!

Hartlepool united december 1951 just after christmas my dad took me i was so cold i was only 6 we had relations there so my mother was warm in their house lol we got promoted out of division three north at the end of the season lol

It may be the game in February 1990 you're thinking of which was when Hobson scored the only goal of the game.

This was the 1-0 game in April 1989:

View attachment 69623
Thanks for that I couldn't decide whether it was the February 1990 or April !989. Clearly I plumped for the wrong one. It was along time ago and my brain was frozen that day, that's my excuse :LOL:. I remember it was areal cold snap and there was a lot of debate as to whether the game would be on or not on the way up there.

Anyway it sticks in my mind as shiveringly cold despite having a big Parker coat on a woolly hat and scarf and gloves!!

Colchester away January 1987 was the coldest I can remember. My feet were like ice blocks by the end of the game. It snowed heavily that night too.

Not a City game, but when I was at uni in Lancaster I went to watch Morecambe vs Luton in December with only a hoodie over my t-shirt. That was the first time when I really understood the phrase "cold to the bone."