Which 1st or 2nd year pros will breakthrough.... | Vital Football

Which 1st or 2nd year pros will breakthrough....

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
I haven't seen enough of the non first team fixtures to make a judgement but for those who have who do we think out of the following will make the breakthrough...

Chapman who highly rated this time last year but doesn't seem to have progressed as quickly as we thought. And for anyone who has seem them is Huckle or Tucker the better centre back and are they both behind O'mara in the pecking order?

One or two from time to time will get a seat on the bench and come on and perform; that's usually how it works. So, the answer is: we don't know.

And for anyone who has seem them is Huckle or Tucker the better centre back and are they both behind O'mara in the pecking order?

Not an easy job judging and comparing centre backs at that age as they generally have not filled out to be the physical specimens they are required to be for that position.

I played centre back for my village team from my early twenties but I was a late developer and at 18 a heavy gust of wind would have blown me over.

The only things they can be judged on at the moment are such things as their bravery, the timing of their tackles, their reading of the game and their pace to recover.

The only things they can be judged on at the moment are such things as their bravery, the timing of their tackles, their reading of the game and their pace to recover.
List seemed to have an inability to read the game, although he had pace but not the pace in his head. Looks like he's overcome that now.

Tucker & Stevenson look the most assured just now but things can change quickly at that age and some players do develop later. They will all be aware that the clock is ticking but also that they will have more opportunities than at most other clubs.

IMHO Stevenson is the most talented, but he has a lot of competition for any game time in attacking midfield. Most mature, Simpson, O'Mara, Chapman, so they are most likely to be trusted with game time if required. Tucker is a very good footballer and has decent pace, but will need a bit more time to bulk up before he gets anywhere near the team.

As has been said .It is not just about talent .It is physical strength to stand up to lads ten or fifteen years older .Consistency also comes into play .The likes of Tucker and O'Mara have been trusted to step up to fourth choice at centre back but in reality it is more likely Lovell would use a full back or Bingham .
it is in midfield that opportunities are likely to be greater .Starting perhaps with a few minutes as sub .So for that reason and the physical side .Stevenson would appear to have the best chance of breaking through .The other area at present that could bring opportunities is on the left side Simpson certainly has pace and may get a chance depending on Garmston's fitness a fair bit .
Lovell has promised them a even chance so who knows .If a forward kept scoring perhaps M'bo or even one of the others could suddenly break through .

Question who is Danny Devine i see he has a squad number of 31? But I cannot remember seeing his name before .

Bloody hell. Not that cross dressing singer from a few years ago? Anyway, would still be able to join the Freemasons.

Very difficult question. First one seems to be ahead and then another. At the moment I'd say that none are outstanding in the way that one or 2 youngsters were in the past, but I still couldn't rule out any of them. Usually, by the time young pro's get to 19 you can rule out a few of them. So maybe 3 of our 6 19 year olds might have been expected to leave. But SL has kept them all on as they could all still make it - an unusual situation at their age.

We've got 3 young centre backs- O'Mara, Tucker and Huckle. O'Mara is a year older and might have been dropped but was given another year and seems to have played well in the friendlies. Tucker is a tall 18 year old - around 6ft 5ins. He also seems to be a leader and has been with the club for around 10 years.

With all the midfielders, first one seems ahead and then another. I like the look of Bradley Stevenson. As Orangeboom says, he may be the most talented but may not be hard working enough ? Stevenson plays a little like Mat LeTissier so nice to watch but needs to work harder as less talented youngsters may get ahead of him.

Devine is a striker who missed all of last season through injury. Club confirmed on their twitter that he had another year offered for his scholarship to see if he can try and push himself for first team opportunities.

Devine is a striker who missed all of last season through injury. Club confirmed on their twitter that he had another year offered for his scholarship to see if he can try and push himself for first team opportunities.
Cheers i didn't think I had heard his name anywhere .I would guess then he is a third year scholar .Something we rarely have .But many others do I believe .

I thought he Finn o'mara impressed last season in preseason. I was disappointed he didn't get more chances as backup, especially when we played a 3 at the back. This season supposedly he's done well again in preseason. I think we are a bit lighter on CB backup so hopefully he gets his chance and is able to break into the first team.

That said, if we're talking centre backs, I know he's not a youth player, but he's young, would also be good to see lacey reach his potential. On paper I thought he was the most promising signing of last year, yet he had a fairly average season.

Wpuld be good to see list break through as a propper squad player option bordering on first team starter, but again he's not a youth team player

I do believe that this group will support each other .They will also have a good understanding that should help them if a few can win places in the side in the next year or so .Some of the younger ones will almost certainly be sent out on loan till least Christmas. Playing against adults will test them .