Where's the weirdest or best place you've ever met a footballer? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Where's the weirdest or best place you've ever met a footballer?

Out with work colleagues for xmas lunch in an Italian restaurant in Hale, posh bit of south Manchester. Had the place to ourselves, downing some wine, quite loud and enjoying ourselves.

About halfway through the meal, door opens and in walks Roy Keane with wife and baby, gives us A Look and sits down. He'd just had one of many 'incidents' in his career, no one was going to upset him. We were like church mice for the rest of the meal, none of the several Man U supporters in our group ventured to ask for an autograph or a brief chat. Scary man!

Tommo in a pub!

He owns one
it was end of May 2005. I was privileged to be invited as a guest to Rod Stewarts house in Epping Forest. Rod has a full size football pitch in his back garden and several times a year, (certainly back then, i don't know if he still does) he hosts a football match. He's a massive football fan. A friend of a friend used to get invited to play and was allowed to bring 1 car full of friends with him as supporters. So that's how I got to go along. My mate always went, but this time he managed to wangle a space for me. This lad would play in the opposition team. He wasn't a brilliant footballer, but about the same standard as Rod, which was how Rod liked it.
Rod's team always played in Celtic colours.
That evening Ronnie Wood(Stones), plus ex Scottish internationals Charlie Nicholas and Gordon Strachan were playing in his team. After the game we stayed on for a really nice BBQ and a few beers, and I did get to mingle and chat. Penny was there.
I remember we had photo's of Strachan in the full Celtic kit, and a couple of days later he was announced the new manager of Celtic. He must have known about the job that evening but he didnt let on. Maybe Rod knew.
That was an experience i'll never forget.

Rod the Mod a fake Scot if there ever was, who was born and bred in North London, attended William Grimshaw school and was school mates with Peter Quaife and one Dave Davies. Failed an audition with the fledgling Raven's, who morphed into the Kinks when the elder brother Ray joined brother Dave's band. Rod ended up singing caberet and karaoke with "Do you think I'm Sexy". He could have been a rock 'n roll great, but fluffed his lines.

Glenn Hoddle and Peter Reid in the piano bar of the Four Seasons in Doha, Qatar. They were in one corner and the chief spokesman of the Gaddafi regime, Musa Kusa, was in another. I got slaughtered on cheap martinis and sang Peter Reid's got a monkey on his head. Reid was unimpressed, Kusa was nonplussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I once ran across the pitch to meet Trevor Peake, my hero, who told me in no uncertain terms to go away. I was a mascot, aged seven. Game hadn't even started.

I was captain of the Moorland's pool team back in the late nineties. Playing away at Claytons on Lee Road.

Got to last game (my game) and they asked if we could hold on as their 7th hadn't arrived so we waited.

then in came Jason Barnett in his tracky. Had been training the kids. I lost that game, I guess a bit startstruck. I was still in my early twenties back then.

EDIT: Also a couple of weeks ago, my eldest's football team were playing Phoenix up Bracebridge. Their manager was Terry Fleming/Flennis.

Played darts at the Harrows at Hykeham against Jimmy Fell and Ken Fencott. One of them put King of the Road on the juke box and someone remarked it was John Hawksby's song - he had recently been fined for speeding.

I once met Dean West in Vienna’s, who was out with a few of his City mates including Steve Foley. I proceeded to tell him in my drunken state how crap I thought Foley was and, while not disagreeing with me, he told me not to repeat it in earshot of him otherwise he would beat me up.

I once met Dean West in Vienna’s, who was out with a few of his City mates including Steve Foley. I proceeded to tell him in my drunken state how crap I thought Foley was and, while not disagreeing with me, he told me not to repeat it in earshot of him otherwise he would beat me up.

Wise advice!

I was once presented with a leading goalscorer award by John Ward n the clubhouse at Rustons sports ground. I think it would have been around 1975.
He was a very quiet guy who didn't say a lot.
However I did have a weird 'coming together ' with John Fleming in around 75/76 I was in the Aquarius nightclub. He was not in my company but sat two places up from me on the back wall benches with his arm resting on the back. I didn't realise this and put my arm up onto the back and my hand landing firmly on top of his. He obviously thought I was 'coming on to him' and the look he gave me could have melted an iceberg. Needless to say we did not undertake a meaningful discussion about football and I relocated myself elsewhere in the club.

You should have done it, then we could have a thread "Footballers you've been beaten up by"!

Scott Kerr at Alton Towers. Peter Crouch in a motorway services toilet down south somewhere. The late great Keith Alexander crossing the railway bridge near Lincoln Station. Gareth McAuley outside Boots! Colin Alcide, Mark Home, Ben Tomlinson, Andy Hutchinson, Mo Fofana and a few other ex-players in a Lincoln vs sponsors game around 2014. Ben Hutchinson in Nottingham City centre, outside a pub...less of an honour, that one.

Roy Keane halfway up a lampost in Nottingham. Not strictly true to say I met him there it wasn't as though I was on the way down and he was on the way up. I saw the same individual on another occasion holding up the traffic whilst he relieved himself.
In fact I have seen quite a few ex players, some internationals, much much worse for wear. The bad old days before mobile phones everywhere hey...

Last edited:
Dean Walling was a regular at the clothes shop I worked in in Leeds. I once sold him a £200 shirt, which was to be honest awful, and felt so bad that the next time he came in looking for me I didn't do the sales work and he left without spending. Boss chewed my arse off the entire day and docked my bonus.

Dean Walling was a regular at the clothes shop I worked in in Leeds. I once sold him a £200 shirt, which was to be honest awful, and felt so bad that the next time he came in looking for me I didn't do the sales work and he left without spending. Boss chewed my arse off the entire day and docked my bonus.
That reminds me, I sold John McGinley a suit. It looked great and I got my bonus ;-)

He owns one

Rod the Mod a fake Scot if there ever was, who was born and bred in North London, attended William Grimshaw school and was school mates with Peter Quaife and one Dave Davies. Failed an audition with the fledgling Raven's, who morphed into the Kinks when the elder brother Ray joined brother Dave's band. Rod ended up singing caberet and karaoke with "Do you think I'm Sexy". He could have been a rock 'n roll great, but fluffed his lines.

Interesting .Is this the same group by any chance ? Are any of the Davies on this line up ?