Where's the weirdest or best place you've ever met a footballer? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Where's the weirdest or best place you've ever met a footballer?

He owns one

Rod the Mod a fake Scot if there ever was, who was born and bred in North London, attended William Grimshaw school and was school mates with Peter Quaife and one Dave Davies. Failed an audition with the fledgling Raven's, who morphed into the Kinks when the elder brother Ray joined brother Dave's band. Rod ended up singing caberet and karaoke with "Do you think I'm Sexy". He could have been a rock 'n roll great, but fluffed his lines.

Cool story bro...

I was once lining up to play against Australia and the stadium announcer was naming the teams and he announced a very distinctive name in the Australian team which made my ears prick up as I thought to myself I know that name. As we continued to do our warm up I took the opportunity to go and have word with the player and to my amazement it was the person I thought it was. We went to the same school here in the UK and although he was a year above me we would of played in the same school team as I sometimes played in the team above my year. It was a surreal moment but we didn't have much time to chat as we were about to play a game and they were straight off after.

On the pitch with John Ward , school House match, I was asked to mark him. It did not end well, for me anyway. We were both at the City School on Monks Road, he played for St Hugh house a year above his age group, and me for Newton house, 1966/8 ish. The late Steve Adlard was also about that time, cannot remember who he played for at the City School but they were both very competitive playing for Lincoln Boys and the County.

I was captain of the Moorland's pool team back in the late nineties. Playing away at Claytons on Lee Road.

Got to last game (my game) and they asked if we could hold on as their 7th hadn't arrived so we waited.

then in came Jason Barnett in his tracky. Had been training the kids. I lost that game, I guess a bit startstruck. I was still in my early twenties back then.

EDIT: Also a couple of weeks ago, my eldest's football team were playing Phoenix up Bracebridge. Their manager was Terry Fleming/Flennis.
You lost to the Baby!

Played darts at the Harrows at Hykeham against Jimmy Fell and Ken Fencott. One of them put King of the Road on the juke box and someone remarked it was John Hawksby's song - he had recently been fined for speeding.

Saw Jamie Forrester turn up at the Duke of Wellingotn when I was a regular in there back in the day. He was part of an away team that came to play poker.

Last edited:
Once meant David Carr in the City Centre who was making a pigs ear of parking his car.After numerous failed attempts about 6 of us including 1 or 2 bystanders actually lifted the rear end of his car into position !

Played against Diddy Gilbert on the Skelly Road pitches on a couple of occasions .Met Norman Whiteside in Whitton Albions Club House ,He gave me a voucher for the players meal and bought me a couple of beers .I sat down to eat my post meal with Norman and Grant Brown .He asked me how I blagged it .

Just been in the same tea time queue at the chip shop as John Rudge. Unfortunately he was at t'other end so couldn't ask him about MOAS