Where were you | Vital Football

Where were you

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
When the world stopped turning that September day......?

9/11

Can't believe its 20 years! Please no conspiracies or arguments, in this thread. Take them to the conspiracy thread

This is a thread for your thoughts and memories!

Can't believe its 20 years ago today: I walked into my dearest friend of 30 years home, after another day/morning in families court.

I asked her what film she was watching. Vetty replied "it's not a film"

I stood staring at the TV, with Vetty, and then the 2nd plane hit. We both said "Terrorism" at the same time and I screeched "Neal" as I ran for my phone to ring my brother.....

"Where were you when the world stopped turning" 20 years ago?

At work with a boss who had a lass living there....it was the most unproductive day of my life and it was horrific watching him phone her when she didn't answer.

I was supposed to finish at 5pm, he got through to her at about 4.30 - we were in the local pub by 5pm (phone chats with missus during the day about what was happening) but still got bollocked by her and parents for not coming back until 8ish until I explained why I couldn't leave the old goat lol

The one and only time I've let a person who had been drinking drive me. He did only have two mind you, he just talked and topped me up.

At home for a few days from college, by myself, turned on the TV around lunch time and saw some breaking news about a small aircraft that had crashed into one of the World Trade Center buildings, didn't think much of it, but kept the news on as it was a live feed.

Then a few minutes later saw the second plane crash into the other building live on TV, couldn't believe what I was seeing, and then hearing reports of another plane heading towards the White House or something, utter madness, I had to ring a friend of mine to see if he was watching, thought World War 3 had started.

On holiday in Mexico with Mrs M. Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary so that day was our 2nd .
Where we were in Mexico was only an hour time difference to NY therefore it was morning . We had been down to breakfast and I had gone back to the room while Mrs M had gone to do some shopping. Turned the tv on and by that time and i can’t remember whether both had been hit or just one but vividly remember seeing the towers burning .
Mrs M came back to the room and I was like ‘ you better fucking watch this‘.

After a while we went down to the beach to see some British people we had got friendly with and told them what had happened and they shot back up to their rooms to see for themselves

Being Mexico the the hotel was pretty full of Yanks and it was pretty bizarre actually as they seemed not to have grasped what had happened . They were kind of whooping as they do and carrying on. I remember thinking that living as we had with the IRA threat always there we kind of realised but seems they couldn’t really grasp what had actually happened . Even in the restaurant later on we were sitting with an american couple and it was all very blasé from them. Weird.

Needless to say , being abroad at the time was pretty unsettling, no internet and mobiles so going into town to phone home just to check in later in the day. All the planes were grounded so we weren’t sure whether we could get home when we were supposed to for quite a few days. And when we did get to the airport it was chaos with all the new checks and security that was rushed in during the aftermath. Not nice getting in a plane so soon after tbh.

Pretty dramatic really, Although not quite as dramatic as two years earlier on our honeymoon when in Florida we were hit by a hurricane .

:slap:

I wasn't working on that particular day. So I jumped in my car and went to visit an old mate who wasn't well.

I had been playing a cassette in the car so hadn't had the readio on. So when I got to his place he says something like ' Have you seen what's going on?!' I said no, and we spent the next few hours sitting in front of the tv with our jaws on the floor.

On holiday in Mexico with Mrs M. Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary so that day was our 2nd .
Where we were in Mexico was only an hour time difference to NY therefore it was morning . We had been down to breakfast and I had gone back to the room while Mrs M had gone to do some shopping. Turned the tv on and by that time and i can’t remember whether both had been hit or just one but vividly remember seeing the towers burning .

After a while we went down to the beach to see some British people we had got friendly with and told them what had happened and they shot back up to their rooms to see for themselves

Being Mexico the the hotel was pretty full of Yanks and it was pretty bizarre actually as they seemed not to have grasped what had happened . They were kind of whooping as they do and carrying on. I remember thinking that living as we had with the IRA threat always there we kind of realised but seems they couldn’t really grasp what had actually happened . Even in the restaurant later on we were sitting with an american couple and it was all very blasé from them. Weird.

Needless to say , being abroad at the time was pretty unsettling, no internet and mobiles so going into town to phone home just to check in later in the day. All the planes were grounded so we weren’t sure whether we could get home when we were supposed to for quite a few days. And when we did get to the airport it was chaos with all the new checks and security that was rushed in during the aftermath. Not nice getting in a plane so soon after tbh.

Pretty dramatic really, Although not quite as dramatic as two years earlier on our honeymoon when in Florida we were hit by a hurricane .

Happy anniversary to you both Melon.

:clap:

I was at Heathrow Airport then spent 2 hours driving home in disbelief listening to events unfold on the radio. I could not quite comprehend what was happening, even to this day it all seems so surreal just like it was a massive film set / nightmare unfolding live.

At school, came home and wondered why my cartoons weren't on, saw two massive buildings on fire and then one collapsed, I had no idea what the world trade centre was. I was absolutely engrossed by what I was seeing.

Seventeen years ago, on 11 September 2001, Hollywood actor Steve Buscemi - known for his depictions of gangsters and weirdos and once described by The Guardian as a “strangely attractive shoelace” - returned to his old job as a New York City firefighter.

He worked 12-hour shifts for several days alongside other firefighters, searching for survivors in the rubble of the World Trade Center.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-buscemi-9-11-firefighter-story-b1917841.html
Amazing actor and a great guy.

Another thing. Maybe overly dramatic. But it felt like the (western) world changed after 9/11. Things no longer felt as fun. Governments became more suspicious of it's own citizens, everyone was a potential suspect, everyone was that bit more paranoid, security became a much bigger thing. We've never really looked back in that respect.

Your life seems like ours with drama's. Unbelievable as the following is it's true. So besides my nephew (who is my age) being caught up in 9/11; Fortunately he survived but the aftermath, never goes......

1/ Manchester Airport September 2005: David I and the 3 eldest were caught up in a terrorist attack.

A man was arrested just after where our plane took off as he was found on the tarmac right by it. We didn't know anything about it until we landed, switched our phones on to panicking text from family and friends

I did say though as they had made us change planes in Corfu as the plane in the pilot words "was to big to land at Zante" that something was going down.

Having been to Corfu I knew the size of that airport and the plane we were finally transferred too was the same size as the one we were taken off.

2/ 7/7 My late husband mom, aunt, brother and our sister in law were caught up in London on the train bombings. Couldn't get hold of any of them all day, bar David brother just before the lines went down

3/ Nephew caught up in 9/11 is in the same city as I think it was December 2014, a lone terrorist attack in Sydney Australia

Happy anniversary Mr and Mrs Melon

Another thing. Maybe overly dramatic. But it felt like the (western) world changed after 9/11. Things no longer felt as fun. Governments became more suspicious of it's own citizens, everyone was a potential suspect, everyone was that bit more paranoid, security became a much bigger thing. We've never really looked back in that respect.

That is very true. Not over dramatic at all. Many serious articles on this

Yeah, 100%. There wasn't even a moment to think about it, they just rammed through the legislation. I wonder if we'll ever go back.

I really hate the airport security. Having to have your booze in a sealed plastic bag, taking off your shoes, all theatre.

I really hate the airport security. Having to have your booze in a sealed plastic bag, taking off your shoes, all theatre.

Yes, totally, as if any of that will ever make a difference to someone hell bent on evil.

I remember The Kingfisher removed the bins so as to put off the chances of bombs being put in them. Total paranoia and absolutely futile. Bit like going into the football, being 'half frisked' by security, or in my case going into the doo dah section, metal detectors (as if terrorists are going to book into corporate for a start) and so on.

Yeah, 100%. There wasn't even a moment to think about it, they just rammed through the legislation. I wonder if we'll ever go back.

Did the shoe thing start with the Richard Reid incident or before that? It absolutely does my head in.

I was about to go into my monthly area review with my boss when the news was breaking. We switched on the TV in his office and stared in disbelief. My review became unimportant as what was going on started to unfurl. He had friends in New York and was worried that some of them could have been caught up in it. That was the day that the world changed forever.

Last Sunday I took an internal flight to Belfast. It took me well over an hour to get through the security checks at Manchester Airport and I came very close to missing my flight. I had to have a body scan, a frisk down by an obnoxious security bloke, then a scan with a metal detector followed by having to remove my trainers and have them scanned. Of course they found nothing, but it did seem like complete overkill. They obviously had their reasons after the body scan but weren't prepared to tell me why.

I still don't think they've got it right, I've had mouthwash confiscated from me at customs at the same time they've examined my wash bag found a Swiss Army knife and said that's fine.

I was watching it with my family in disbelieve in our front room in Bournemouth.

Never thought at the time that the following year I would be having my photo taken outside the site in New York.

I took the pictures out for a look yesterday to remember my trip and in memory of all those sad lives lost.