Where we are compared to last season | Vital Football

Where we are compared to last season

Rasenimp

Vital Football Legend
I thought this might be interesting especially with slightly contrasting approaches to how we've approached the (now closed) transfer window.

This season, after 26 games, we have 31 points. Scored 24 conceded 30 (GD -6). Last season, after 26 games... we also had 31 points. Scored 31, conceded 34 (GD -3).

Few differences though:

- We had just won 3 in 4 at this point (beating Oxford at home, Sunderland away and Plymouth away).

- Last season we went big early in January - by the time we beat Plymouth away, we were starting Marquis, Cullen and Whittaker, and Brooke Norton-Cuffy came off the bench.

- The gap to the relegation zone is 6 points. After Melbourne's stoppage time winner at Plymouth, it was 4. So that's positive.

- However, less sides look dead and buried. Last season, at this point the relegation zone was Morecambe (27), Crewe (22), Doncaster (19), Gillingham (18). The three teams who looked dead and buried did all go down, alongside Wimbledon who were just out of the relegation zone at that point (28). This season, Accrington, Burton, Cambridge United all sit on 25; in a better position should they put a run together as Gillingham did late, while Forest Green are bottom on 21. Accrington have a game in hand over us (last year, Morecambe had played one game more in 21st).

- Last season, we finished on 52 points from this position - that was a good, 12 points clear of Gillingham in 21st (40). If we continued our exact points per game from this season (1.19) for the rest of the season (so an improvement on recent form but equal to how we fared across the season as a whole) we would finish on approx. 55 points. One win better than last season and over the last decade or so, the highest that has gone down is 50.

- If we were to continue our recent form (say the last 10 games, where we have taken 9 from 10, going back to before Plymouth at home/beating Morecambe) and took 18 from 20, that would obviously be very close - on 49 pts. Down in several recent League One league seasons.

- One difference is that at the onset of January last time, we were in more bother on paper (before those three wins) - after MK Dons on Boxing Day, on 22 pts from 22 and 2 pts clear) but a small if not spectacular improvement saw us well safe including those 3 January wins.

This obviously isn't particularly extensive or comprehensive analysis, but I guess my conclusion is that any sort of minor improvement in points won compared to the start of the season to now would probably see us safe relatively comfortably (i.e., wholesale improvement not required for safety)- but if the form continued as per November onwards we would be in considerable bother. So I guess we have to hope MK can get a bit more out of the squad and the new players make a small enough difference to eek out better form than recently, and we we would be okay...

+ still unbeaten at home in this season (league) ... must be approaching a record there?

So (I believe) it would be a scalp for any team to come to Sincil Bank and win in the league...

To add to the original post, here is a comparison of our record at home in the first 13 games of the last two seasons:

2021-22
P13 W3 D3 L7 PTS 12

2022-23
P13 W2 D11 L0 PTS 17

That's an increase in points of over 40% from home games this season. Also a very significant decrease in home defeats.

The improvement in form at home didn't begin immediately in 21-22. After the Gillingham defeat on 26 February our home record was:

P18 W4 D4 L10 PTS 16

It took us until M19 to catch this season's points total.

To add to the original post, here is a comparison of our record at home in the first 13 games of the last two seasons:

2021-22
P13 W3 D3 L7 PTS 12

2022-23
P13 W2 D11 L0 PTS 17

That's an increase in points of over 40% from home games this season. Also a very significant decrease in home defeats.

The improvement in form at home didn't begin immediately in 21-22. After the Gillingham defeat on 26 February our home record was:

P18 W4 D4 L10 PTS 16

It took us until M19 to catch this season's points total.

I guess based on the identical performance points wise, little drop off in away form this season has countered that.

It is stark how turning a few draws into wins at home would have us well up the table in comparison...

I guess based on the identical performance points wise, little drop off in away form this season has countered that.

It is stark how turning a few draws into wins at home would have us well up the table in comparison...
.....and that has to be the hope for the remaining part of the season - one more goal in three each of any of our home draws and we'd be way ahead of where we are now - fine margins and all that!

Yes but the trouble is we were much more likely to lose most of those drawn games than win them so if we turn a few of those draws into defeats we would be in big trouble. For a good number of those draws we have been second best and hanging on at the end.

Just makes you wonder about “attitude” and “intent” when you think back to the Cowleys (not suggesting anything here in view of the recent ‘MK Out’ thread - I’m firmly behind him, for now anyway). One of the Cowleys stated intentions was to make Sincil Bank a fortress, and they did. It was obviously something they built into the recruitment and psyche of the players. Would love to see MK produce something like that.

Just makes you wonder about “attitude” and “intent” when you think back to the Cowleys (not suggesting anything here in view of the recent ‘MK Out’ thread - I’m firmly behind him, for now anyway). One of the Cowleys stated intentions was to make Sincil Bank a fortress, and they did. It was obviously something they built into the recruitment and psyche of the players. Would love to see MK produce something like that.

I think there was an element of making it a battle - with Rheady, two big centre halves, we weren't 'nice' to play against. I think even though we are unbeaten at home we kind of are a bit nice to play against? You have a lot of the ball, and often a bit of time on the ball. If you dallied on it in central midfield and Woodyard was all over you or Bostwick shoved you over it probably wasn't a very nice place to come, even if our form in the final bit of the L2 season wasn't as stellar (as someone pointed out on here the other week).

Also something for the crowd to latch on to now. Sort of setting up not to lose never quite cuts that. It's almost like a good away set up, but weirdly we haven't been as effective away (losing 7...) although because we've won more, the points aren't even wildly different.

I think there was an element of making it a battle - with Rheady, two big centre halves, we weren't 'nice' to play against. I think even though we are unbeaten at home we kind of are a bit nice to play against? You have a lot of the ball, and often a bit of time on the ball. If you dallied on it in central midfield and Woodyard was all over you or Bostwick shoved you over it probably wasn't a very nice place to come, even if our form in the final bit of the L2 season wasn't as stellar (as someone pointed out on here the other week).

Also something for the crowd to latch on to now. Sort of setting up not to lose never quite cuts that. It's almost like a good away set up, but weirdly we haven't been as effective away (losing 7...) although because we've won more, the points aren't even wildly different.

In L1 no one's a particularly poor player, so a bit of up and at em is needed but it will only get you so far.... you actually have to be a pretty talented footballer to do well.

....did we do better in L1 with warriors like Woodyard, Bostwick....

or warriors (not) like Grant, Johnson, Edun, Rogers etc.

Sorensen is very much a warrior, so is O'Connnor.

The single incident on Saturday that summed up for me...the dilemma MK has been grappling with was....

..after about 20 minutes, Sorensen looks up, plays a forward pass but it's intercepted....Sam Smith is played into space and O'Connor is treading water....(and Rushworth has to make a decent save).

Sorensen would do your Woodyard job, possibly better than Woodyard (but in L2)

O'Connor is a warrior like Bostwick but had his limitations like Bostwick....

The only problem is the opposition are better in L1.

It's not up and at em qualities we are lacking and needed to add ....

....but skillful and athletic footballers ....

to add to those we already have, so the team as a whole team can function and play at a better level.

We may or may not have done that in this window but it's the way forward and what I think you can see the club have tried to find in January.

In L1 no one's a particularly poor player, so a bit of up and at em is needed but it will only get you so far.... you actually have to be a pretty talented footballer to do well.

The single incident on Saturday that summed up for me...the dilemma MK has been grappling with was....

..after about 20 minutes, Sorensen looks up, plays a forward pass but it's intercepted....Sam Smith is played into space and O'Connor is treading water....(and Rushworth has to make a decent save).

to add to those we already have, so the team as a whole team can function and play at a better level.

We may or may not have done that in this window but it's the way forward and what I think you can see the club have tried to find in January.

I think we got Bostwick towards the end of his career. I think when he was a few years younger he was championship quality. We beat Blackburn to his signature if it’s true.

I think we got Bostwick towards the end of his career. I think when he was a few years younger he was championship quality. We beat Blackburn to his signature if it’s true.
Possibly so but nearly 700 games - 1 season in the Championship....as good a warrior as you could want but rarely above L1. If he had had Joe Walsh ability with the ball that would have been much more.

Possibly so but nearly 700 games - 1 season in the Championship....as good a warrior as you could want but rarely above L1. If he had had Joe Walsh ability with the ball that would have been much more.

Him at 27 would walk into our team now

A manager can build a team around a player like Bostwick, a strong character with plenty of skill and determination that drives his team mates on. Such players are hard to find and we were fortunate to have him in our team.

Him at 27 would walk into our team now
I never said he wouldn't....

What I was saying is we need more quality not more warriors....Bostwick was an example of that warrior type of player....we have those ... it's the ability to play better football we need.

...Bostwick was perhaps a red herring to some extent but he wouldn't make up much more creative or score goals....even a 27year old Bostwick.

A few of the players we have actually brought in might.

Eh, sort of true. I think for me I'm less talking about a particular profile of player or the classic 'PASHUN' thing, it's just not being a nice team to play against. Whether that's closing down, whether that's Brennan Johnson nicking the ball off you and then going down a bit easy or whether it's tayo edun over celebrating and riling up a number of opposition fans.

It's just not being passive and letting crap teams come and get settled in and playing their own game constantly. I named a couple of players who exemplified physicality and making it difficult for the opposition, but plenty of teams have managed to do that and make lives difficult for other teams without having the best footballers / better footballers than the opposition. Especially at home with a strong home support like we have.

Eh, sort of true. I think for me I'm less talking about a particular profile of player or the classic 'PASHUN' thing, it's just not being a nice team to play against. Whether that's closing down, whether that's Brennan Johnson nicking the ball off you and then going down a bit easy or whether it's tayo edun over celebrating and riling up a number of opposition fans.

It's just not being passive and letting crap teams come and get settled in and playing their own game constantly. I named a couple of players who exemplified physicality and making it difficult for the opposition, but plenty of teams have managed to do that and make lives difficult for other teams without having the best footballers / better footballers than the opposition. Especially at home with a strong home support like we have.
....but with my eyes that's just what we have been doing.....but with the handbrake on......

.....the example I quoted with Sorensen and O'Connnor is what I think has been MK's dilemma.

....another example against Everton U21.

We came out for the second half and because of the small crowd you could hear MK shouting for a more aggressive press from the front, the players did just that and 20 seconds later the ball was in the back of our net.

Okay, perhaps the passing of Everton had extra quality but there are plenty of good players in L1 and a lot of matches are a bit cat and mouse.

The dilemma then is....the more attackingly aggressive you are, the more you will be vulnerable to concede....that's the same if you are Liverpool or Lincoln....

...but Liverpool have defenders well equipped to cope with the problems counter attacks pose

and have players to make that risk worth it....because their side is also well equipped to score more goals with a bit more attacking.

That risk and reward has been much less clear for Lincoln.....mainly because there isn't the ability from the likes of Sorensen, Sanders and even Virtue plus Poole, Robson etc to sustain attacks regularly.

When we set up with the 5 we basically give them the ball and then work bloody hard to make sure the opposition aren't left with time and space to create dangerous situations.... and to a certain point it's worked perfectly.

...but it only gets you so far.

To make a/the change (to more aggressive play) worth making (including having the ball in risky areas) we need to have a full complement of people who can make that work...

....that explains the direction of our signings....

....but it's not football manager and we can only do so much at one time.

....but I think we are more likely to make the likes of Bishop/Mandroiu more effective, if they play with a better quality midfielder and if Shopido or Plange can create 2 or 3 chances we wouldn't be able to with Garrick or Hopper or Vernam etc and then that calculation will change somewhat....

We aren't going to suddenly outplay Sheffield Wednesday but over a period we might win a few more points off the sides in and around us.

That's what I see as the next step forward.

Hard to find that balance sometimes I guess. Right personnel is the key.

MA for instance wanted us always to play the same way, from the back. To start with with Schack and Bossie. Great defenders and characters but not really their style and it didn't work out at times.

Not sure what exactly MK want us to play yet but hopefully he is completing slowly his side, his players and soon we will be able to see it.
It would be also nice to not get relegated in the process..

What also helps is that extra bit of quality in your team Like Walker, Grant, Johnson etc. I don't think we have any of that right now.