Where do we go from here? | Vital Football

Where do we go from here?

toffee74

Vital Youth Team
A question was posed to me in the pub the other day by one of my mates (who is an Everton supporter), he asked, "with what's gone at Pompey in the last few years' what's been your biggest disappointment?" Its a good question, it would have been easy to say the debacle of club ownership, the relegations, seeing a Pompey stalwart like Guy lose his job, but what did I plump for? This season! That's right, this season! Despite all the administrations and relegations, we survived as a club! It was hard to see Guy leave, even though we all know he should have left a little earlier. However, we now own the club and are paying debts off sooner than we thought, surely I should be happy we are finally stable! We have some solid players at Pompey, yes there are one or two I look at and think how on earth do you play for Pompey, but I'm a fan, I thought that of some of our Premiership players too. However, I just can't get excited when I see us signing players like Bean, Fish and Holmes - not having a go at these players, just the calibre of what we seem to be attracting. I worry for AA, not just because he has to feed off loans and frees, but tactically I am beginning to think it doesn't matter what players he has, it wouldn't make a difference. This is league 2, not the prem, we need a settled team and a settled formation. It hurts because AA is one of us, a blue, maybe that's what expectation does to you. Will changing managers really help? I don't know, but one thing is for sure, with all the expectations we had at the start of the season, this season for me at this moment in time is a massive disappointment and something needs to change quickly, for my sanity if nothing else! What's your biggest disappointment?

Good piece toffee...

If I had to try and nail just one disappointment it would be that Andy Awford got the managers job, and is still in it. There is no way on earth we should have gone for Awford after the debacles of Guy and Barker. I'm afraid he got lucky with a run, that basically was the result of a cumulation of events. After that the board had to give him the job, people were hailing him as the Messiah... ffs! I wasn't one of them I may add.

Two things alerted me to be honest. His non inclusion and obvious dislike of David Connolly in his plans. A player I may add that's forgotten more about football than AA, despite all his badges. The other thing was the first game of the season against Exeter. A game where the Exeter team were dying of a bug, and their manager had to put his name on the team sheet to make up the numbers. I watched that game, it was appalling. Its said many times I know, but I've seen better tactics from a pub side. A taste of things to come.

So yes, that's my biggest disappointment, that we've got another so called legend as a manager that doesn't know his ar$e from his elbow. As I mentioned above, AA's got the badges but you need more than badges to get a grip of a team and motivate them. Not all our players are gash, there's just no leadership. A good manager with good motivational skills can get a below par team to perform to the best of their abilities. Our team are all over the shop. They play well one week, and are rewarded by being dropped the next.

By the way... did I want AA to succeed, of course I did. I still do, but for the life of me I can't see it happening. One things for sure, he certainly needs to be stopped from bringing in yet more players in January. FFS, he can't pick a team now, let alone from a squad of nearly 40... jeez.

I've got to stop, my blood pressures rising.. :50:

Thanks for sharing toffee... always good, whatever the topic, to have views shared that we can talk about.

I will share my thoughts on Sunday, a bit pressed for time ATM tho.

excellent article toff and comments corn

totally agree that we should forget all this trust and our club nonsense and we should only look at what is happening on the pitch and it aint pretty.

One thing on the player front, as the trust are controlling the budget I think we would all be amazed, in relative terms, how little, some of the players earn, there are at least 4 players at Eastleigh that earn more than some of our first teamers.

AA has gone for quantity over quality again

Just to add to your comment about players Jim...

I've taken these three quotes from the Snooze, under the latest article >POMPEY BOSS PROMISES TRANSFER SHAKE-UP<

1.)"I’ve looked but the good players are in teams – but we are going to do something".

2.)"It’s going to be about unearthing players who can come in and have an impact on the team".

3.)"Maybe we will have to take a punt on some players".

So, if I get this right, AA's looked but the good players aren't available. So although the good players are already playing for other teams, unearthing will magically produce more. And last but not least... here we go again, we're gonna take a punt on some players. A gamble in other words. To join a squad that is already leading to a serious housing shortage in the Portsmouth area.

Like so many things in life, the answers are nearly always within easy reach if your heads in the right place. Get rid of the dead wood certainly, and then put a consistent team together out of those kept. This isn't the Prem FFS! This is the 4th Division despite being called League 2. Its dirty, nasty, and not pretty. Bloody awful football in fact. What we have can play that stuff, they just need to be marshaled, motivated organised, led.

Board... do not let AA punt on any more players in a desperate attempt to save his own job. We already have the materials, we just need a craftsman to fashion them into something...

Again I will say another excellent post toffee and some cracking posts to follow.

Do think I will get this put up on the front pages tomorrow... lets get the dust settling on what today brings first so it does not get swallow up in the game stuff - good, or as is more likely, bad...

I have to say that I am with you toffee though, as disappointing as its all been in recent years this season is the one that is disappointing me the most.

Optimism was high, we finished last season so well and with the club in the best position - off the field - that we have been for years WHY we are doing so bad is so frustrating and so disappointing.

We have had the 'next season' thoughts for too long this REALLY was meant to be that 'season' and as things stand it will take something out of this world for us to get back into promotion contention.

Expecting a promotion push was not too much to ask, if we fell short so be it but we do not even look like falling short at the moment another defeat or two and it is over the shoulder we look again.

I so desperately want AA to make it but it is looking more and more like he is not cut out to be a manager after all, which will hit us hard as we NEED him to be unearthing and bringing the players through - he looked to be doing this but now even he is looking more at taking the 'ready made' route, but the players coming in are not good enough.

IF they are not good enough FFS do not bring them in for the sake of it, we have some bloody good players at Fratton, but also some bloody poor ones too - this is L2 so that will be the case but unless we can do something amazing second half of the season those bloody good players will not be here, perhaps come the end of January, let alone next August no two ways about it...

There should be little to no activity coming in when January arrives until we can ship out the shite... cannot see too many looking at our cast offs tho... can you?

Forget all this formation bollocks, keep it simple we might be a 'big club' in stature but we are in L2, keep it simple, keep is stable and keep it consistent, why change things all the time - it does no favours!

This season is a disappointment and where we go from here is not looking good... I really am stuggling to keep do this for the home games, I have threatened before but I just cannot see that I will be able to justify the loss of time, and financial loss, of a ST next season and a mass drop off of ST holders - we WILL see this is 'the season' does not happen this time round, trust me - will soon make an impact on this club.

We need a tried and proven manager at this level. As has been stated before, this division is not pretty, often you have to do the ugly things to scrap your way out of it, but one thing does not change whatever division you are in. You need a formation which suits your playing staff and a defence that is better then its individual parts, know each others game (and the game plan) inside out, back to front and Andy does not seem able of galvanising them into a tight unit. If we find such a manager and we are offered genuine hope for next season, then season ticket sales will be ok and the new incumbent will have a fighting chance of assembling a squad which will do the business with a more than healthy budget for this league. If we carry on stumbling about like a drunken man and manage to survive by the skin of our teeth, then season ticket sales will plummet. No doubt whatsoever about that. It is an often used cliché, there is no room for sentiment in football because every week you are confronted by 11 players and a manager whose sole purpose in life is to beat you, end of! When Andy does step aside (or is removed) I hope it is done with some decorum and dignity, but on the basis of what we have seen (and heard from the manager) it DOES need to happen!

Thanks for your reply! As a manager, I have never been a fan of keeping it in the club, just get the best man for the job, plain and simple. Put your club men into your backroom team. Mind you, look at Macca! Agree AA, he got the job on the back of a good end to the season. Ironic that AA says he is looking to bring in players in Jan, but his squad of 32 is also too big, his does that work then? Seems to me players only ever get 3 or 4 games to prove themselves and then that's it, you are either in or out. And absolute no idea what his beef with Connolly is, you can't buy his experience or ability to pop up with a goal! Oh well, January is going to be fun ...lol

I worry for us in Jan and AA's recruitment policy. He says 32 is too big a squad, yet he was the one who assembled it! I can see a few more pointless loans coming in!!

Completely agree with you. The rest of this season and next season are pivotal to the future of Pompey, get it wrong and we'll spend the best part of the next decade as a League Two mid table side. ' carry set a great example when we won the championship, he assembled a team to get out of the championship, very different to what was needed to stay in the Prem. The same needs to happen now. AA deserves the respect, but we now need a solid experienced lower league manager to lead us on!

Thanks for the reply. I know we all desperately want AA to succeed but its beginning to remind me of Guy managing the club. He keeps talking about bringing in more players (probably pointless loans), yet he talks about the squad of 32 being too big! AA assembled that squad and he is struggling to manage it, so not sure what a couple more players would offer him, other than more players to use in more formations!! Get a system, stick too it, and let the players get used to it! More importantly, let the players gain some confidence from playing week in week out!

Like I mentioned in an above reply, I know we all want AA to succeed, but I am a little worried that if we continue to let AA play in the transfer market, we are just making it harder for the next inevitable manager as they will have a squad of 40 and no money to bring in their own players and instead will have to spend 6 months getting rid of the dead wood!

AA is crap in the transfer market. He is just signing players in a hope one might be half decent. STOP HIM PLEASE!!

I agree that this season has cheesed me off more than any. I'm fed up of daring to hope only to get a size 11 in the balls. For the first time ever I opted against going to a home game & I had already paid for it! I had a day around town instead.

I also totally agree re: former players as managers. You DON'T need to have a connection to the club from your playing days to be a good manager. End of. You just need to be a good football manager. Time again I hear names of former players. I think people's brains can't separate decent playing performances from what is needed to be a good manager. Go for the best experience & forget the former player bit. It is total nonsense!