What’s going on? | Page 18 | Vital Football

What’s going on?

We drifted out to 20/1 after the Huddersfield game in some bookies. 50/1 after Blackburn, 250/1+ after Stoke.

It was after the Huddersfield game when the switch of owners was suddenly made without announcement.

The odds in Asia likely to be highly and much less regulation, these are no fools, they could easily run a number of smaller stake bets to combine into a much bigger one.

The fact the administrators were told to wait one week, after two more games, allowed the odds to push out further increasing the pot of winnings without the need to put on huge stakes.

A £70k stake after the Stoke game alone nets you a return of £17.5m but more likely in the Asian market in excess of £20m.

There are bigger stakes often placed by individuals at the Grand National, Cheltenham etc. Someone whacked on £100k on one horse at Cheltenham in 2017!

A coordinated betting scheme across a region isn't as far fetched as you would think.

To be fair KDZ, from all the stuff I've seen on twitter from the players, the attitude, commitment and camaraderie is excellent. There's also been loads of supportive comments from ex players too.

I Think you're not far off with the siege mentality. They're in a position not of their own making, but they can help get us out of it ......... and from what I've read, they intend to.

The comments i saw were from a couple of lads and that was before the further reduction in salary was announced.

It only takes one of two to understandably get fed up and it can cause the world of problems. So i hope the camaraderie is strong enough to not let what is going on distract them or down tools, but if it did i can understand why it would.

That's absolutely fair re the timing (being prior to the wages issue) ......... though to be fair, we don't know if that's just a timing issue too.

We're all picking up on specific issues and speculating one way or the other. For me, based on Krasner's initial comments on the club and the season, on the players' attitude, and on Whelan's "interest", I'm still hopeful there's a short term interim solution.

Also probably insignificant but still interesting nonetheless to note that Darren Royle has deleted his LinkedIn account since the administration was announced

Also probably insignificant but still interesting nonetheless to note that Darren Royle has deleted his LinkedIn account since the administration was announced

He's probably been getting loads of abuse from angry Latics fans who rightly or wrongly blame him for this.

He's probably been getting loads of abuse from angry Latics fans who rightly or wrongly blame him for this.

I maybe way off the mark but I think he used to work for a betting company, I think in the Philippines. Not beyond possibility he had wind of this betting rumour through his contacts and acted responsibly by disclosing it to the efl, hence them being the first to bring it up. For the record I don’t think he, nor Jackson had any knowledge or played any part in what has unfolded, though it will undoubtedly affect them professionally going forward in the short term being associated with this mess. Jackson in particular must be devastated given his career at the club.

That's absolutely fair re the timing (being prior to the wages issue) ......... though to be fair, we don't know if that's just a timing issue too.

We're all picking up on specific issues and speculating one way or the other. For me, based on Krasner's initial comments on the club and the season, on the players' attitude, and on Whelan's "interest", I'm still hopeful there's a short term interim solution.

Nixon says all the players got on the team bus down to Brentford. I hope the case is they have been assured wages wont be an issue but like you say and it's just a timing issue - but if they have got on the bus not knowing if / when they will get what they are owed even more credit to them.

You know the thing that annoys me the most about all of this, over the years we've suffered a lot of bad times, rubbish football, relegations, terrible performances, etc - really good spells are few and far between and it felt like we had finally turned the corner and were in one of those rare spells and then this immedietely arrives to undercut all of that.

There is never a good time for this to happen but if it happened when everything was going wrong it would've hurt but we'd already be down in the dumps. But this has happened when we were on a real high and the fall from the top to the bottom has been so much higher and more painful.

No club deserves this, but what we had done since the end of January and what we have done in the last 3 games - it felt like the footballing God's couldn't let us have our moment to bask in the sun before we are smashed with another lowlight.

I just pray that we can get the club sorted ASAP, get the players paid, and somehow stay up to live to fight another day.

I maybe way off the mark but I think he used to work for a betting company, I think in the Philippines. Not beyond possibility he had wind of this betting rumour through his contacts and acted responsibly by disclosing it to the efl, hence them being the first to bring it up. For the record I don’t think he, nor Jackson had any knowledge or played any part in what has unfolded, though it will undoubtedly affect them professionally going forward in the short term being associated with this mess. Jackson in particular must be devastated given his career at the club.
Royle used to work for KB88, our shirt sponsor (a betting company based in Manila in the Philippines), and he's the one who brought IEC to our club's attention as a buyer.

Royle used to work for KB88, our shirt sponsor (a betting company based in Manila in the Philippines), and he's the one who brought IEC to our club's attention as a buyer.

The Royles are not the problem, its the Poker player and his patsy. IEC bought the club beacuse they thought they could waltz us back into the premier lge (read the annual report for IEC)

We had a bad start they are not a big enough business to be patient. They are a medium sized business making whelan look like an oligark. They shit themselves and wanted out. The rest is ridiculous and emabarsing for them betting on our relagaton selling and buying at the same time then givng away. Putting into admin.

Their panic will come back to bite them if we the latics fans tell the world about them.

But a share in IEC and ask awkawrd questions to them

For as long as this new guy is uncontable, untraceable and with no proof he actually exist, it's impossible for the EFL to prove they carried out due diligence. Therefore points deductions cannot legally take place until after a thorough investigation.
Apparently they didn’t need to do any checks in May when it changed hands? According to Alan Nixon. That seems to be where the issues all come from. I agree with you though how we can be deducted points for this is beyond me.

I can't see it TB. Think of the numbers based on our fanbase ....... some of whom are kids, and some of whom are couples.

Max contributors (of any value) would be 6,000
Let's say inputs of £5,000 for a third, £1,000 for a third, and £500 for a third.
Total - 13m ................. might just buy the club, but what do we then run it with?

I might be being too pessimistic, but without a really big donor or two (or half dozen !) can't see this option being a go-er.

I understand what you are saying about the money side, but if we are to save the club we need to keep it in the media spotlight and a supporters campaign is what is needed, as both Bury and Bolton did. They managed to keep the clubs plight in the media right up until the final moments.

I still say our best bet is to get as many of the NW MP's involved to bring pressure on the EFL and thus by raising the matter at a higher profile level.

It could also help to persuade new buyers to invest by seeing that we do have a decent fan base and that the rumours about the stadium being a ghost town are not entirely true.

There are a number of Hong Kong based supporters.
Au Yeung Wai Kay - reportedly played for a Hong Kong based club (that went out of business) - Sing Tao Sports Club
They might be able to shed light on the amateur club that he has run for 15 years ?

If he does exist ... the Administrator was contacted by someone's lawyers on the 24th though.

They got around the checks because at the time the club was transferred to NLF, Choi owned 51% and Au Yeung Wai Key owned 49%, and therefore Choi was the majority shareholder and, because he was checked when IEC took over, he didn't need to be checked again. It is only afterwards that Wai Key became 75% shareholder. They circumvented the fit and proper checks.

Nixon says all the players got on the team bus down to Brentford. I hope the case is they have been assured wages wont be an issue but like you say and it's just a timing issue - but if they have got on the bus not knowing if / when they will get what they are owed even more credit to them.

You know the thing that annoys me the most about all of this, over the years we've suffered a lot of bad times, rubbish football, relegations, terrible performances, etc - really good spells are few and far between and it felt like we had finally turned the corner and were in one of those rare spells and then this immedietely arrives to undercut all of that.

There is never a good time for this to happen but if it happened when everything was going wrong it would've hurt but we'd already be down in the dumps. But this has happened when we were on a real high and the fall from the top to the bottom has been so much higher and more painful.

No club deserves this, but what we had done since the end of January and what we have done in the last 3 games - it felt like the footballing God's couldn't let us have our moment to bask in the sun before we are smashed with another lowlight.

I just pray that we can get the club sorted ASAP, get the players paid, and somehow stay up to live to fight another day.

In regards the players it’s not say October and there’s no end in sight. The season ends in just over a fortnight. Most are then on a free or know they’ll be sold. From a reputation point of view there’s little point in refusing to play at this stage, especially as football creditors they know they will get the money, eventually. What affect mentally it will have on them, how focused they’ll be or how committed they are I guess we’ll find out. As you rightly point out they/we have been dealt a savage blow given the form they were in. Completely demoralising.

Apparently they didn’t need to do any checks in May when it changed hands? According to Alan Nixon. That seems to be where the issues all come from. I agree with you though how we can be deducted points for this is beyond me.

So if they didn’t do checks then there was no proof of future funding which new owners have to provide I can only assume. I’m sure all owners need to be deemed fit and proper - Seems like the efl have screwed up then as iec is an organisation, this Choi **** is an individual - so they aren’t one and the same. So much to work with in challenging the 12 point deduction - most of it when it’s implemented but even the imposition of it can be proven the efl didn’t do the most basic of checks, or even suing them for the costs of their failure perhaps. Personally I’d like to see this happen, not just for us, but for every other efl club poorly governed by this unfit organisation.