what TV show would you like to see remade and updated n/g | Page 4 | Vital Football

what TV show would you like to see remade and updated n/g

Well he obliged again didn't he Rainham.

This stuff about "identity politics" and how awful and contrived it all is comes as news to me. Maybe I've been subject to it and failed to realise how awful modern times are when gays and women actually exist. Why are people so upset when there is an attempt to redress the balance. Scared of losing power?

Apart from that I think there have been some hysterical objections to, for example a female Dr Who.

Maybe you should read again what I wrote? I certainly don't have an issue with films being exclusively about woman or black people or the entire cast of a Shakespeare Theatre Troupe being all black ir gay or muslim or whatever.

What I was getting at is the laziness of sections of the film and TV making industry who take an established franchise and simply give the lead character a sex change in the name of the current year but then don't actually give the character an interesting back story and give them some sort of kryptonite to overcome before the final battle. In the terrible films like the later Star Wars, the female characters have no real identifiable flaws in which to overcome and it is largely about them simply turning up at the end.

As per my original post on the matter, films like Black Panther was well done as it was a new franchise where the film needed to show the entire back story before leading up to the end.

What I want to see in terms of representation of women are more characters like the original Sarah O'Connor or Ripley from the Aliens franchise who were strong, independant characters who had their own issues to deal with like real human beings. What I don't want to see are underdeveloped female characters who only exist in order to have more women in lead roles written by writers who having decided to use a female lead then ran out of ideas for the plot.

(and obviously the word "woman" can be replaced by the words such as black and gay etc as applicable)

As for Doctor Who, I haven't really bothered with it since the 80s so couldn't really get angry about that one although I suspect you brought it up as an attempt to :fish:. The only thing I will say is that I think they missed a great opportunity to have both a separate male and female doctor who team up together against a mega boss in the usual Christmas special.

Well he obliged again didn't he Rainham.

This stuff about "identity politics" and how awful and contrived it all is comes as news to me. Maybe I've been subject to it and failed to realise how awful modern times are when gays and women actually exist. Why are people so upset when there is an attempt to redress the balance. Scared of losing power?

I will concede in one area though. I've noticed an unrealistically large number of black actors in period pieces recently. Obviously there have been black people in Britain at least as far back as Roman times. I merely note that it is an unrealistic number. I'm quite happy for these talented actors to get roles their ability warrants.

Apart from that I think there have been some hysterical objections to, for example a female Dr Who.

I think there are two issues.

1. The hype around introducing a ‘politically correct’ change to a an existing or new character or the creation of a new film. It seems to me that if Doctor Who was changed to a woman without any fanfare then most people would accept it without even thinking about it.

The addition of and fanfare about the new characters in Star Wars also backfired as it was done just for the sake of it. Rey is a good character but it spoilt it when she was already doing advanced jedi things without any training. The introduction of the seemingly gender neutral kylo ren was supposed to replace darth vader lol.

Black Panther was a very good, if it was not for the build up of how it was an identity promotion and such a big deal then once again I think people would have just watched it and enjoyed the performances.

We just need good actors with a good script, why we need to be told how pioneering everything is and for equality etc beats me. If a film is well acted most people do not worry about the gender or colour or race that the cast belongs to.

2. I have a problem with historical accuracy and therefore want to have some credibility in a production. Obviously not always important in a story not based on real characters.
When something is based on a real character then I like to see the cast reflect the original reality.

Thats todays opinion, probably I will have a different one tomorrow lol.

What I've noticed , is more and more adverts appearing on tv seem to include a lesbian kiss , or some other form of 'pushing boundaries'

The current Amazon and Renault offerings spring to mind.

TV ads seem to have also stopped depicting the man in the family home as a bit of a dick head and butt of any jokes. The wife or partner usually rolled her eyes or shook her head at his eccentric buffoonery.
Annoyed me for quite a while when the feminist equality thing was going on.

There was an actress interviewed this morning on BBC Breakfast and her name appeared on the screen, with the word 'Actor' beneath.
It makes me cringe, as I have been taught to use grammar properly, ok we all make mistakes at times, but to remove male and female descriptors is OTT to me.
Imagine what it would do to the French grammar too!

I would welcome 1 more series of Spiral , anymore would reach its sell by date . Another series of the excellent Rome would work i believe.

Remade and updated isn't the same as "another series of".

Would you like to see Spiral remade (e.g. with Amy Adams as Josephine Karlson)?

TV ads seem to have also stopped depicting the man in the family home as a bit of a dick head and butt of any jokes. The wife or partner usually rolled her eyes or shook her head at his eccentric buffoonery.
Annoyed me for quite a while when the feminist equality thing was going on.
Such adverts have, rightly, been stopped as sexist stereotypes. Used to really wind me up. The one where a bloke bought takeaway food pretending it was home made as apparently men can't cook especially grated (pun intended) as I do 99% of the cooking in my household.

This is a good example of the 'PC' times we live in and an example of even handed treatment of men and women. Do those that object to "PC" prefer to be depicted as incompetent fools?

Yes - because we know it isn't true, but a piss take.
Christ, if everything in life had to be 'correct' life would be boring - as it is in your house obviously.

Well done. You did actually make me smile with your reply. I laugh at how upset people get over Political Correctness.

Times have certainly changed, many years ago my pal served on HMS Victorious an aircraft carrier and often mentioned the words she and her with reference to the ship and I can recall in the RAF referring to our aircraft in the female form, such as "yes I flew in HER last month" or "the old girl gave us a bit of a fright on touchdown today".
I wonder if ships and aircraft are still thought of as SHE or HER. or even your car?

Times have certainly changed, many years ago my pal served on HMS Victorious an aircraft carrier and often mentioned the words she and her with reference to the ship and I can recall in the RAF referring to our aircraft in the female form, such as "yes I flew in HER last month" or "the old girl gave us a bit of a fright on touchdown today".
I wonder if ships and aircraft are still thought of as SHE or HER. or even your car?
I don't get this obsession with gender. An inanimate object is an "it". My car is a thing, not a male or female.

We now have a police force with police officers. Fine. No need to say policeman/woman. On some occasions (such as some searches) gender is relevant, otherwise not.

Such adverts have, rightly, been stopped as sexist stereotypes. Used to really wind me up. The one where a bloke bought takeaway food pretending it was home made as apparently men can't cook especially grated (pun intended) as I do 99% of the cooking in my household.
?

Do you remember who the advert was for? I have the vaguest memory of one advert but recall thinking the guy was being smart in trying to impress a lady.

In terms of the old "buy from restaurant but claim it is your own" trick, it is hardly an unoriginal idea. It has been used several times on the "Come Dine With Me" TV show by both genders. And there are plenty of Reddit posts where guys have asked advice on how to impress a woman and upon pointing out the last time they cooked they burnt a salad have been given the advice to buy takeaway (but not to go too posh or the woman will think the guy a five star Michelin chef).

You might be able to cook but according to lots of surveys, women do 99% of the housework (including the cooking) so depending on your politics then the stereotype that most men can't cook is statistically true.

I don't get this obsession with gender. An inanimate object is an "it". My car is a thing, not a male or female.

We now have a police force with police officers. Fine. No need to say policeman/woman. On some occasions (such as some searches) gender is relevant, otherwise not.

It is worth baring in mind that most widely spoken languages like Spanish, French, German etc all have gendered nouns with their Le, La, Les and Der, Die, Där etc. It is likely that when English adopted foreign words into the language, we kept the same associations but dropped off the Dar, die, day parts.

In terms of boats, I've seen it commented that a sailor sees the boat as their wife away from home plus a lot of boats are names after women.

Guitars are often consisted female but that is because traditionally shaped acoustic guitars have a kind of curvy female shape to them.

Of course, if you are a feminist, you can use the old "men call cars she as they see them as objects to enter into and abuse like men do to women".