What sports other than football are your kids into | Vital Football

What sports other than football are your kids into

Littlest Hobo

Vital 1st Team Regular
As most of us have proved we are all football mad. I have devoted most of my life to the game either playing or coaching. Because of this I have always tried to keep my kids interests varied rather than stuck on football.

Kinda failed with my football mad son but we do compete at RC cars and are getting a bit of success. With my daughter we got into Rock climbing. She has made her local climbing team at 7yrs old and is competing in her first competition soon which has made me more proud than any of my own footballing achievements for some reason.

So, do any of you guys try to keep your kids interests a little more diverse than football, football and more football. If so what?

Two girls...in no particular order:

Athletics (long distance/sprint and high jump), gymnastics, skiing, dance (a sort of sport to me!) tennis, badminton and kick boxing..and after that, both love hitting the gym/swimming...

Obviously, they do these at differing times of the year..

and their biggest sport of the year - how many parcels can they get delivered and returned in a week - no matter how incredulous I am at the knocks on our door of deliverymen (who know us all by christian name name now, as we do them) - they still continue to accumulate new monthly records...

:10:

I know the knock on the door thing :-)

How the heck do they fit that lot in with school work etc on top? Are they once in a while activities or a few times per week. Currently split myself between 2 swimming sessions, 2 Football coaching and match, 2-3 climbing sessions, 1-2 rc car sessions per week. Its becoming a logistical nightmare

I don't have kids, but I can say that when I was younger, and before I did my knee, I loved netball and hockey at school. To watch, I've always enjoyed tennis, cricket, athletics, swimming, gymnastics, snooker, darts and F1. My dad loves rugby and golf but aside from the big games or major tournaments, I don't really like them.

I was a dancer from 3 till 17 too.

Oh, I was hugely into mountain biking too when I gave up the football to have the family. My daughter has started sounding me out about starting that again

Littlest Hobo - 5/2/2015 16:02

Did you compete SGFL?

I played for my school team in years 7, 8 and 9, but did my knee funnily enough at school, right at the start of year 10. I somehow managed to get a C in GCSE PE (we were a "sports college status school" so we had to take it at GCSE) despite missing around a year and a half of practical lessons. That injury was eventually what made me quit my dancing.

I have a funny story about being called up to compete in an athletics tournament pre-knee injury. Yet rather than getting me to do events I was good at (sprinting and triple jump) they made me do the 800 ms and javelin. I was, am and always will be awful at long distance running. I went off too quickly to keep up with the other girls who were actually good at it, and my friend ran round the middle of the track to keep me going, and they threatened to disqualify me as they said she was pacing me :59: I then managed to hit myself in the head when throwing the javelin. So these days, I just like watching athletics instead. :17:

Daughter: Synchronized swimming for 4 years. I am still trying to figure out how I lived through that. Soccer. Then rugby in high school. Skiing all the way through. She raced for two years and regrets not doing it for longer.

Oldest son tried hockey. Preferred ski racing from 8 on. Retired from ski racing at 16. Now 17. Played soccer in the summer then switched to rugby at 13. High school and club. Had some success early on and fell in love with it. Now focussing on rugby. Headed to the IRB 7s (sorry, can't get used to World Rugby) in Las Vegas next week with his junior tournament team.

Youngest son was a great soccer player, small but both footed through determined practice, and great vision. Big hopes for dad getting to watch some decent junior soccer were dashed when he followed his big brother over to rugby at the age of 10. That was a tense weekend at our house. Traitorous little sods. He ski races. On snow about 80 days a year now. He uses rugby for cross training.

The following have been tried at one time or another and in some cases are still fit in here and there:
Basketball
Volleyball
Tennis
Badminton
Freestyle skiing - Parents killed this before they killed themselves.
Gymnastics - trampoline
Grade 9 wrestling - until he found out what the uniform looked like
The dryland training that went with their ski racing programs was and is pretty intense and kept them busy

Some very funny moments in all of that.

My daughter has always played soccer, now in third year university. She played basketball for a few years and is now playing hockey.

Football
RC Cars
Swimming
Athletics
skiing
dance
badminton
kick boxing
netball
hockey
Javelin
Synchronized swimming
Rugby
Basketball
Volleyball
Tennis
Badminton
Freestyle skiing
Gymnastics
trampoline
wrestling
Inline skate
Mountain biker

Not sure if I have missed anything. In about 4 members that's quite a list. My daughter is also a very good mountain biker and also inline skater

Littlest Hobo - 6/2/2015 12:05

80, how do you manage with all the sports and 3 kids?

We are lucky. My wife and I both have very flexible schedules. Skiing is THE best family sport. At least it was until this year.

We are in a 2 year transition period right now where my wife is spending most of the week up North with our youngest and I am in the city with our other son. This is necessary during the winter until the older goes of to University in September 2016. My ski days are way down this year. Makes me grumpier than usual.

I forgot to mention ball hockey. They play this in the spring and fall for fitness. Very organized and they love it.

spursgirl_4_life - 6/2/2015 14:19

Can I assume ball hockey is our normal hockey? I didn't think to specify before.

It is a non skating version of ice hockey with some minor rule variations and a smaller "rink". In this case played outdoors. It is getting very popular over here as an alternative. It is inexpensive and they run a league in each of the 4 seasons. A lot of kids who can't afford other sports are playing in 3-4 a year. For fitness and general athletic literacy it is a great option.

Just googled it. It looks more like ice hockey but played on a plastic-type service, as opposed to it being our field hockey. A lot of the rules look different too.

quite like some of the sports in the winter olympics. whe I was younger used to love skateboarding and BMX.

some sports i really don't get - American Football and baseball. I could probably watch a basketball match without getting too bored, but still a bit meh. Sorry America!

I always thought I would like Ice Hockey - but maybe it's my eyesight or speed of thought, but I just can't keep up with the puck, and before you realise what's happened the ball is in the net!

I don't have kids thank god but if I did I would make them do some form of Martial arts. Brilliant for discipline and helps with balance and coordination. Of course will help with if the shit hits the fan on the streets as well.