What Qualities do we need in a Captain..? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What Qualities do we need in a Captain..?

Who should be Captain?

• Tripps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dembo

• Victor

• Winks

• Lamela

• Lucas

• Davies

• Christian

• Alli

• Sissoko!!

• Dier

• Son

• Sanchez

• Someone else!!

• Total voters
I would never strip the captaincy from a player who is still an important player and voice in the team. I've never been a fan of keeper captain's but I'm a big fan of Hugo. He's a quietly intelligent guy, much the same way Ledley is/was, and King was the perfect captain for me.

If Hugo was to leave or fall out of favour, Kane is next in line. We're lucky that we have several other players who would be top captain's in any other top team, like Vert, Toby, Eriksen and even Dier.

Well Poch stuck by him - and it looks like it was the right call.

That's what Poch gets the big bucks for, have to say, I wouldn't have.

I'm not sure Hugo's captaining influence affected our victory. More Kanes determination and input in play.

Hugo' s distribution was not great...again. He rushed out on Lukaku and failed to get the ball. He made a couple of sound saves as you would expect any PL keeper. The fact Hugo was captain made no difference as it don't in any game IMO. Dier was barking orders, Vert and Toby don't need organising, Kane speaks to the ref in the main. Eriksen and Dele were dropping back into MF on direction no doubt from Poch.

So please enlighten me on Hugos captain's input .

I'm not sure Hugo's captaining influence affected our victory. More Kanes determination and input in play.

Hugo' s distribution was not great...again. He rushed out on Lukaku and failed to get the ball. He made a couple of sound saves as you would expect any PL keeper. The fact Hugo was captain made no difference as it don't in any game IMO. Dier was barking orders, Vert and Toby don't need organising, Kane speaks to the ref in the main. Eriksen and Dele were dropping back into MF on direction no doubt from Poch.

So please enlighten me on Hugos captain's input .

The status quo - it was a big message from Poch to stand by his man and he would have rallied the team around it.

He also made some remarkable saves - they shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

Sometimes Captains presence and leadership in the dressing room has an incredible effect.

Watch all or nothing on Amazon - and see the incredible effect of Kompany in the dressing room and behind the scenes.

Poch stood by Hugo and that would galvanize team spirit. That was outside Hugos influence. He made saves any PL keeper should , not because he was captain.

We don't see the dressing room atmos but Hugo strikes me as a quiet observer type, not particularly vocal or attention seeking.

I agree on the togetherness Status Quo factor, which Poch called pretty shrewdly on reflection. I reacted to what Hugo did out of disappointment in him but standing by him could lift the teams spirit and Hugos performance.

He failed to get the ball but Lukaku was favourite and pushed him wide enough on his weak foot that he missed. Yes Lukaku should still have scored but Hugo wasn't at fault for it at all imo. He did what he could when let down by a team mate.

He failed to get the ball but Lukaku was favourite and pushed him wide enough on his weak foot that he missed. Yes Lukaku should still have scored but Hugo wasn't at fault for it at all imo. He did what he could when let down by a team mate.

That's pretty much how I saw it too - I'll watch it again later and reassess to see what version is more accurate!

Vertonghen. He's already the Vice Captain. He signed my birthday card.

When you rush off your line to intercept an attack it has to be spot on. Otherwise stay in the goalmouth and narrow the angle. Hugo failed to intercept and left his goal open . It almost deserves a Hugo Howler entry and if a goal would have added to the list.

When you rush off your line to intercept an attack it has to be spot on. Otherwise stay in the goalmouth and narrow the angle. Hugo failed to intercept and left his goal open . It almost deserves a Hugo Howler entry and if a goal would have added to the list.

I think you're being overhash - we will never know what would have happened if he stayed on his line, but we do know that he forced lukaku wide and that led to his miss....that's all you can ask from a keeper - to force the attacker into an error.

that's like saying if a keeper tips it onto the bar it's an error because it could go in off the bar. But if it doesn't it's a great save, much like if you force a player wide and he misses - it was the right call.

Rose was at fault for that chance, nobody else.

He looks a shadow of the player he once was.

I don't blame Hugo at all for that one. He was put in an absolute shite position because of Rose doing what Rose is apt to do...making dipshit errors.

Thankfully Lukaku missed...

Under hit back passes are quite common in top football and Danny is usually a firm passer. He was rusty but grew into the game.

Watched the game again. It was obvious that Rose was struggling to keep up and get in sync but he wasn't as bad as some people are saying. That one pass has skewed perception.

Watched the game again. It was obvious that Rose was struggling to keep up and get in sync but he wasn't as bad as some people are saying. That one pass has skewed perception.

Agree, the Spurs away fans were in the left back corner of the OT stadium and really got behind him in the first half. In reality, his team mates were too far away from him and left him exposed. That included Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Dele and especially Moura and Kane who never gave him the longer ball option into feet. We all know by now that lumping the ball long in the air is not his style but playing triangles up the pitch is what he does best. He didn't have that option and in my opinion, Davies would have been no better in the 1st half setup. We were too skewed to the right of the pitch but it eventually worked with the goals of course.

Rose definitely grew into the game, especially when Dembele and Dele got more involved on the left as the game went on. I'm hoping we can see more of Rose in attacking positions in the next few games he plays.