What is the point of the Academy? | Vital Football

What is the point of the Academy?

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
Many have asked the question in the past. Having read the various thoughts on social media today, the question has reared its ugly head in my mind as well.

Following on from the opening 2 pre season matches thoughts turn to first XI and/or matchday XVIII.

From what I have see so far, 2 of our best players have been Bennett and Thomas. People seem to be passing them over for other players and/or newbies.

OK, so most have Lowe and Bogle in the XI, both of whom have done well but the scorers of 4 of the 5 goals so far don't get a look in. This sounds even more strange when you think of the praise Lampard has heaped on the pair of them.........

It’s not a roaring success admittedly but I suppose Hughes, Bogle, Lowe, Bennett, Thomas and - going back rather further - Huddlestone are all products.
I would like to see a return to the old days of proper reserves though, seems like a better way for players to come back from injury/loss of form and for youngsters to stake a claim.

There must be some financial perk to it, otherwise I don't see much benefit in it when we can just take players from other clubs youth systems. Cynical.

There must be some financial perk to it, otherwise I don't see much benefit in it when we can just take players from other clubs youth systems. Cynical.

That was my point in submitting the post Adi.

It looks like Bogle and Lowe will be matchday XVIII and possibly starting.

The 2 loanees coming in along with the 18 hour old press story that we have signed Jozefzoon from Brentford may well signal that the scorers of 4 out of our 5 pre season goals so far won't make the first XI and might even struggle to make the XVIII.

Lampard has waxed lyrical over both of them, Bennett and Thomas. It would be harsh on them to build them up right through pre season and then drop them, despite their having been our best two front men, when the League starts........

Latest Rams News