What did you think of Obama? | Vital Football

What did you think of Obama?

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
I see a lot of tearful farewells to Obama on t'internet.

They kinda surprised me. In my book, Obama was a big disappointment. He came in full of hope and change and then just continued on doing then same old wars/bank bailouts/tax cuts for the rich.

He could have been a really great president but he was only ever looking for a great sound bite.

I believe a big part of Trump's victory is due to Democrats who voted for Obama and being let down. They didn't show up for Hilary because she could only offer more of the same.

I have an American friend who loves Obama. He believes Obama is a really great guy who tried to do brilliant things but was always foiled by Republicans.

What do you think of ol' Barry?

He's probably reptilian. Were deceived into thinking we have a choice when it comes to things like this.

*ignoring the ridiculous post*

He was blocked a hell of a lot of the time by the Republicans from what I have seen (and been told by my American friends)

It's quite rich the Republicans saying he's not done much when they have blocked as well.

Sadly Trump won't get blocked the same.

I don't know massively, I'm not American, but it doesn't look like his tenure particularly broke down any cultural divides in the States.

I think nothing of Obama, nothing. Which is a shame because he came into power with such promise which never actually materialised. He did get Bin Laden, but he let Russia take the lead in Syria. Overall a john Major type of President.

As Fear says, much of what he wanted to do got blocked. He was fighting a losing battle. Even some of teh stuff he did force through will probably be undone now.

He let Russia take a lead in Syria because we didn't back him. He could only get agreement from Congress if we were willing to assist, and Parliament voted against it.

The only silver lining is that Trump can't just do what he wants. He will need support of Congress, so that should tame some of his ideas.

BodyButter - 20/1/2017 13:16

I see a lot of tearful farewells to Obama on t'internet.

They kinda surprised me. In my book, Obama was a big disappointment. He came in full of hope and change and then just continued on doing then same old wars/bank bailouts/tax cuts for the rich.

This in a nut shell

Waste of space

He was average, not great but not particularly bad either. At the end of it all he can only be judged by his achievements and not by whether or not you like him as a person, this is how history will judge him, and his achievements were nothing special. I believe the only reason for all the tears of sorrow seeing him leaving is that fact that his replacement is Donald Trump.

I don't know why anyone really pays much attention or cares about what the U.S President does.

They don't make the decisions, they have no real power, they are not leaders, they are not in charge.

The Fear - 20/1/2017 14:43

*ignoring the ridiculous post*

He was blocked a hell of a lot of the time by the Republicans from what I have seen (and been told by my American friends)

It's quite rich the Republicans saying he's not done much when they have blocked as well.

Sadly Trump won't get blocked the same.

I don't know massively, I'm not American, but it doesn't look like his tenure particularly broke down any cultural divides in the States.

Yes he was blocked but surely, having won his elections with fairly good margins it was up to him to create the environment for Democratic sucess in the senate and congress elections. It was his failure to have enough influence on this that led to him having no real teeth.

Stephen Jay Hawkings - 20/1/2017 18:01

I don't know why anyone really pays much attention or cares about what the U.S President does.

They don't make the decisions, they have no real power, they are not leaders, they are not in charge.

But they are the public voice of America in international politocs and diplomacy and they are the commander in chief of the US military.

A charismatic speaker who failed to live up to the high expectations.

Saving the American car industry - possibly good.

His use of drones in sovereign nations he wasn't at war - with very bad.

Failure to shut down GTMO - very bad.

The implementation of Obamacare was very poor and raised medical insurance costs substantially for most Americans, while exempting a lot of privileged people (DC etc).

His willingness to pander to SJWs was sickening.

He left the country far more divided than he found it.

Any president who creates a political situation where Trump seems like the answer has failed badly.

Just seen this posted on FB: it wont let me save and add so I have copied & pasted it: Unfortunately there is truth in this

.................................................................................

"TRUMP?! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN??"

It happened because you banned super-size sodas. And smoking in parks. And offensive ideas on campus. Because you branded people who oppose gay marriage 'homophobic', and people unsure about immigration 'racist'. Because you treated owning a gun and never having eaten quinoa as signifiers of fascism. Because you thought correcting people's attitudes was more important than finding them jobs. Because you turned 'white man' from a description into an insult. Because you used slurs like 'denier' and 'dangerous' against anyone who doesn't share your eco-pieties. Because you treated dissent as hate speech and criticism of Obama as extremism. Because you talked more about gender-neutral toilets than about home repossessions. Because you beatified Caitlyn Jenner. Because you policed people's language, rubbished their parenting skills, took the piss out of their beliefs. Because you cried when someone mocked the Koran but laughed when they mocked the Bible. Because you said criticising Islam is Islamophobia. Because you kept telling people, "You can't think that, you can't say that, you can't do that". Because you turned politics from something done by and for people to something done to them, for their own good. Because you treated people like shit. And people don't like being treated like shit. Trump happened because of you.

I think they bring you in and show you a video of Kennedys assassination and say 'any questions'?

- Joe Rogan

I read somewhere (on a respectable business article and not the sun) that the national debt under Obama increased by 89% during his time in office.

Pretty alarming when you consider the amount of debt across every economy, and the growth rates in developed worlds - all built of debt and printing money

If nothing else, he was a proper statesman, and certainly talked a good game.

It made a refreshing change to have someone with intelligence in the position after the Dubya years. And now we have the idiotic Trump, maybe Obama will be seen in rather a better light 4 years from now?