What are we left with and is it enough? | Vital Football

What are we left with and is it enough?

Spursex

Alert Team
So we're in the Carabou cup final - whoppeeee, but like everyone else, if we did win it, I would be happy about it but wouldn't see it as the silverware that could change anything.

We're out of the FA cup

Except for the diehards who only give in when it's way past time, we're out of the running for the PL title and probably out of the running for a Top 4 finish ever since we dropped the 10 points we never should have, we may even be forced out of a Top 6 European finish place - which could mean we have no European football for the first time in 11 years....

So we have to win the Europa now...

Anyone think we can or should I say anyone think we will?

Last edited:
Its like everything Ex, we can win it, but everything has to line up in our favour, so for me here's hoping.

My honest prediction based on the squad and the fact I think we WAY overperformed early in the season and are now showing who we really are...

I think we end with no hardware and out of the Top 6.

We then will lose some of our players...but all in all I don't mind that. We need to rebuild.

This is going to suck...but it is needed in order for actual change to occur...

We have a great chance to win the Europa League but then again so do Man Utd, Arsenal, Leicester not to mention AC Milan.

I think it’s more realistic to qualify for Europe next season by finishing in the top 6. It won’t be easy but we need to give our all for every remaining league game.

Not having European football next season will of course be tough on the finances not to mention game time to a bloated squad.

On the plus side a year out of Europe, where we can focus solely on the league, one game a week (less intensity on the players) could result in a genuine title push.

Sorry USA but rebuilding the whole team we just historically bought over the past few seasons, versus removing the 15m/yr pariah that has infected our club, well the choice is a no brainer. And dumping Jose would improve results & play immediately. Whereas a 'rebuild' as you suggest would take years.

We have a top4 squad. Players are not the current major problem.

Sorry USA but rebuilding the whole team we just historically bought over the past few seasons, versus removing the 15m/yr pariah that has infected our club, well the choice is a no brainer. And dumping Jose would improve results & play immediately. Whereas a 'rebuild' as you suggest would take years.

Top 4 squad?

Personally, I think our squad is better than it looks but where it ranks in the Prem isn't clear cut. City and Liverpool have better. Chelsea and Utd probably have better based on recent buying. Leicester have discovered depth with the promotion of youngsters.

I genuinely think though that if we bought a RB as good as Reggie, that would elevate us again. Then if we can find the Vertonghen replacement and get Gio and Dele firing, we would look amazingly different.

It's a shame that the presence of Sissoko, Moura, Aurier etc has become our norm. We should have left them behind by now.

Top 4 squad?

Personally, I think our squad is better than it looks but where it ranks in the Prem isn't clear cut. City and Liverpool have better. Chelsea and Utd probably have better based on recent buying. Leicester have discovered depth with the promotion of youngsters.

I genuinely think though that if we bought a RB as good as Reggie, that would elevate us again. Then if we can find the Vertonghen replacement and get Gio and Dele firing, we would look amazingly different.

It's a shame that the presence of Sissoko, Moura, Aurier etc has become our norm. We should have left them behind by now.

Completely agree with that, my biggest disappointment in the summer was not signing a left footed CB, tough to find, but doable.

We've let too many average players find a home with us.

Completely agree with that, my biggest disappointment in the summer was not signing a left footed CB, tough to find, but doable.

Yeah, I think mine was probably that RB scenario. Started the summer genuinely hoping that we'd get Aarons or equivalent. I wasn't one of those that ever believed Jose could convince KWP to stay and fight for his place but was disappointed when we never shifted Aurier and bought an average Joe like Doherty.

Whether Jose likes Aarons or not, nobody can argue that this kid is having a phenomenal season for Norwich. There will be a bidding war for his services coming up.

Yeah, I think mine was probably that RB scenario. Started the summer genuinely hoping that we'd get Aarons or equivalent. I wasn't one of those that ever believed Jose could convince KWP to stay and fight for his place but was disappointed when we never shifted Aurier and bought an average Joe like Doherty.

Whether Jose likes Aarons or not, nobody can argue that this kid is having a phenomenal season for Norwich. There will be a bidding war for his services coming up.

I know, I wanted KPW to stay as you know; he's now winning all the accolades at Southampton week after week., and he's really kicked on now and delivers pin point crosses, something we rarely see anymore.

And of course, in a tough tie, Southampton march on to the next round.

I know, I wanted KPW to stay as you know; he's now winning all the accolades at Southampton week after week., and he's really kicked on now and delivers pin point crosses, something we rarely see anymore.

And of course, in a tough tie, Southampton march on to the next round.

And to rub salt into the wounds ex, the fee we got for KWP was spent on Bales wages for the season.

Proof if ever that short term thinking doesn’t pay.

Leicester are going about their business now the way we used too. Signing young talent and allowing them to develop.

Paying ridiculous wages to 30+ year olds with tens of millions in the bank account is a poor strategy, let’s hope Bale is the last for us.

Proof of this over the last few seasons

Sanchez at Utd reported £500k pw
Ozil at Arsenal reported £350k pw
Aubameyang at Arsenal reported £375k pw

All given massive contracts late in their career and none of them earning a penny of it since they signed those contracts.

You are correct...not a full total rebuild...but it also comes down to expectations.

If we have aspirations of winning a cup now and then...sure this squad may be able to get that done, probably need to upgrade little.

But...

If we want to start winning some of the bigger prizes and the league...no way is this squad good enough...not buying it.

Forward - Kane is likely leaving...so that is fill immediately. And even if Kane stays...we need to rotate with someone. (and no Son is not the answer)

Attacking mids - this is probably our strongest/deepest area...and yet we STILL have not effectively replaced Mods or even Eriksen to a degree

Defensive mids - We finally got a quality DM in Iceberg....and that is it. Need another option to rotate him

Defense - Toby is old, yet still can provide second team depth and leadership. Dier...hell I don't know anymore. Sanchez and Tang are the future but need playtime. Davies isn't good enough. Reggie is probably leaving...so yeah we need to bring in some help.

GK - We need a good understudy to Lloris.

LOTS of deadwood that for some reason I still have yet to understand...we keep thinking will come good...yet never will - Winks, Dele, Sissoko, Lucas (though not bad off the bench)...Lamela is here too, but I think he is the most effective second team player we have

BL - In my opinion...a large chunk of our starters should be second team, and a chunck of our second team is dead wood and should be moved on. We need to bring in some youth and get going. We have moved out the likes of KWP and others...Gedson and Vini can't get any flipping playing time...

Oh yeah JM can naff off as well.

THIS! See Ex I knew you would come around to my level!

You are correct...not a full total rebuild...but it also comes down to expectations.

If we have aspirations of winning a cup now and then...sure this squad may be able to get that done, probably need to upgrade little.

But...

If we want to start winning some of the bigger prizes and the league...no way is this squad good enough...not buying it.

Forward - Kane is likely leaving...so that is fill immediately. And even if Kane stays...we need to rotate with someone. (and no Son is not the answer)

Attacking mids - this is probably our strongest/deepest area...and yet we STILL have not effectively replaced Mods or even Eriksen to a degree

Defensive mids - We finally got a quality DM in Iceberg....and that is it. Need another option to rotate him

Defense - Toby is old, yet still can provide second team depth and leadership. Dier...hell I don't know anymore. Sanchez and Tang are the future but need playtime. Davies isn't good enough. Reggie is probably leaving...so yeah we need to bring in some help.

GK - We need a good understudy to Lloris.

LOTS of deadwood that for some reason I still have yet to understand...we keep thinking will come good...yet never will - Winks, Dele, Sissoko, Lucas (though not bad off the bench)...Lamela is here too, but I think he is the most effective second team player we have

BL - In my opinion...a large chunk of our starters should be second team, and a chunck of our second team is dead wood and should be moved on. We need to bring in some youth and get going. We have moved out the likes of KWP and others...Gedson and Vini can't get any flipping playing time...

Oh yeah JM can naff off as well.
EX, naff orf sorry off, so posh, lol! say it like it should be mate, I/we wont be offended....FCUK OFF! JM.

Lamela has done it again.
He has fooled a top coach ( this time one of the best of all time ) that he should start games and is of the quality to do so. This is in spite of his fragility. If he's fit he plays.
Jose's glowing opinion of CoCo ( as he calls him ) is proof that Lamela is some kind of con artist. How does he do it ?
Jose said Lamela is chaotic, probably means disruptive and unpredictable. He said he wants the ball, he does not hide. He said he Loves a good Lamela.
How does a player with no quality impress a top coach like this ? Unless the notion he has no quality or inadequate quality is wrong of course ?

Lamela has done it again.
He has fooled a top coach ( this time one of the best of all time ) that he should start games and is of the quality to do so. This is in spite of his fragility. If he's fit he plays.
Jose's glowing opinion of CoCo ( as he calls him ) is proof that Lamela is some kind of con artist. How does he do it ?
Jose said Lamela is chaotic, probably means disruptive and unpredictable. He said he wants the ball, he does not hide. He said he Loves a good Lamela.
How does a player with no quality impress a top coach like this ? Unless the notion he has no quality or inadequate quality is wrong of course ?
Nick that chaotic could mean disrupting the opposition, and unpredictable could also elaborate to "how do we mark him" put the two together on the pitch, has our opponents scratching their heads.

I think we have played a disproportionate amount against the big teams.
I think.
So if we pick up a bit of form we might surprise a few.
UEFA cup and Carebo I can't see us winning. Unless we land up playing sides who are having a bad run full of injuries.

I will be surprised if we finish higher than 6th. We won't win anything either.

But I don't particularly rate this squad so I'm not surprised where we are and are heading.