What a season... | Vital Football

What a season...

McCreery

Vital 1st Team Regular
Absolutely fantastic and I don't think many would have predicted 4th (although I think New Zealand toon fan did - *doffs cap*)

4th and a cup final in our first full season under the new owners - unbelievable really considering the years of neglect under the fat c++t

What I've enjoyed just as much as the results is the feel good factor that has come from everybody pulling in the same direction from top to bottom and that is one thing that has to remain if we are ever going to be a consistent top side

Next season is going to be so much harder despite who comes in. We have overachieved massively this season and the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will be looking to have far better seasons than this - same goes for Man U even though they finished above us

I'm just going to enjoy the ride and appreciate the massive strides our club has taken in such a short space of time

There is so much to love at the minute but when things get tricky in the future I hope the detractors can shut their holes long enough to realise its going to take time

Onwards and upwards - HTL

I agree with 99% of what you have typed McCreery aside from the over achievement part.

We have seen Newcastle sides here that have over achieved and you only have to go back a couple of seasons to see the likes of Brooce fluke and get lucky games to see him get results that our performances didn't deserve with the anti football that murdered the eyes.

The side that Howe has been teaching and im not going to say 'put together' as some players were already here, so teaching is the right word. Howe and his staff have taught their methods, trained the players to be fitter than they have ever been and mentally drilled them to the extent that they can chop and change formations at the drop of a hat.

They've instilled an atmosphere behind the scenes that can't be bottled or bought and improved players beyond all expectations that now sees some recognised on a higher level. What they have done with Joelinton can only be described as magical, majestic, if not unbelievable. A player that was a laughing stock some 18 months or so ago and now is in the world class bracket. I'll say that again. JOELINTON under Eddie Howe's coaching, is WORLD CLASS. (And no, ive not been on the drink.)

As I said a few weeks ago, there's only been one game this season that we never looked like winning and that was at Aston Villa where we can all agree now that it was an off day but in every other game that we didn't win, we had the chances to do so. So you can argue that we have under achieved.

Leagues aren't completed on the historical standing of a club, as much as the premier league would like it to stay the same or the teams at the top think they just have to turn up to claim their top 4 spot, the likes of us, Brighton, Aston Villa and Brentford have stepped up to stir things up and if we all put the effort in and keep tweaking our methods then there's no reason why things can't be shaken further these next few years.

Next season WILL be harder but if we continue to fight, continue to learn, continue to grow and continue to use our 'us against the world' mentality then it will be much harder for the teams facing us so we can go into next term confident of another historical season. I have faith because it went missing for so long and can now look forward to an enjoyable Summer of progress instead of dread.

In Howe's own words we over achieved this season.

I don't think anyone at the club would have set a target of 4th at the start of the season

I don't understand why you've gone down the "Brooce" route again though - Bruce equalled Benitez record despite being disrupted massively (both financially and player availability) due to covid.

I agree that Howe's (and his team) hard work has paid off but I don't think anyone will tell you that Champions League qualification was a genuine target at the start of the season.

The team spirit has been massive in this season's success but as much as I want that to continue I think it will be increasingly difficult to maintain over each and every transfer window

I'm here for the journey no matter what happens

Absolutely fantastic and I don't think many would have predicted 4th (although I think New Zealand toon fan did - *doffs cap*)

4th and a cup final in our first full season under the new owners - unbelievable really considering the years of neglect under the fat c++t

What I've enjoyed just as much as the results is the feel good factor that has come from everybody pulling in the same direction from top to bottom and that is one thing that has to remain if we are ever going to be a consistent top side

Next season is going to be so much harder despite who comes in. We have overachieved massively this season and the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will be looking to have far better seasons than this - same goes for Man U even though they finished above us

I'm just going to enjoy the ride and appreciate the massive strides our club has taken in such a short space of time

There is so much to love at the minute but when things get tricky in the future I hope the detractors can shut their holes long enough to realise its going to take time

Onwards and upwards - HTL

Good read and yes I did. Hopefully we can better the momentum and challenge for top honours, which we are quite capable of.