Nobby_66

Vital Football Hero
a year makes

Thanks to Facebook memories, I've just had a really bad start to my day

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1476947153137.jpg
    FB_IMG_1476947153137.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
Same for me. Mine read Gillingham 2 Scunthorpe United 1...,We are top of the league.

Definitely what a difference a year makes. We've gone from top of the league with great results and performances with a young squad, to now sitting around the relegation zone with dreadful performances and a lot of decent players.

nitram77 - 20/10/2016 09:37

At the time Jed said we were over achieving, well he's sorted that problem out.

I thought at the time, and I still think, that those were very poorly chosen words by JED and that the timing of their delivery was really bad. IMO the comment, instead of providing motivation, provided the players with a subliminal "credit" in the event that they failed to rise to the inevitable and difficult mental challenges that are part of achieving promotion.

I still maintain that Jed's biggest error was releasing the players with genuine pace and not replacing them.

We are very pedestrian as a team.

shotshy - 20/10/2016 11:28

I still maintain that Jed's biggest error was releasing the players with genuine pace and not replacing them.

We are very pedestrian as a team.

Absolutely. No pace and slow to move the ball forward.

I think most of us said at the time that that quote would come back and bite him on the bum. We'll it has truly taken a huge chunk out of that and seems to be consuming the rest of him too.

Nobby_66 - 20/10/2016 11:53

I think most of us said at the time that that quote would come back and bite him on the bum. We'll it has truly taken a huge chunk out of that and seems to be consuming the rest of him too.

The only people who thought that were those who thought he was probably saying the same things in the changing room. Surely it was obvious that what a manager says in public and what he says in training are different. His comments were aimed that the section of fans who thought we'd be champions and promoted by the beginning of February and would steamroll everyone.

"The only people who thought that were those who thought he was probably saying the same things in the changing room.

Read more: http://www.gillingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5675&posts=13#ixzz4Nd82fr7w

I'm sure most of us knew that not to be the case and said so at the time. I'd much rather a manager talk up our chances and keep the feel good factor going. Martin Allen did and that confidence spreads throughout the club and the fans. Don't forget, we were storming the league at the time so a bit of confidence would not have been out of place.......Alternatively he could, say nothing.

It is mad what a difference the year has been.

Calendar year 2015 we amassed 84 points in league one from 47 matches. 26 wins ffs, and championship form...

Calendar year 2016 to-date, 9 wins from 36 games, with just 38 points recorded. Relegation form.

Consider that if either of those runs had happened during a season what would have happened to the manager involved...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/jahrestabelle/wettbewerb/GB3/saison_id/2015

Nobby_66 - 20/10/2016 14:55

"The only people who thought that were those who thought he was probably saying the same things in the changing room.

Read more: http://www.gillingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5675&posts=13#ixzz4Nd82fr7w

I'm sure most of us knew that not to be the case and said so at the time. I'd much rather a manager talk up our chances and keep the feel good factor going. Martin Allen did and that confidence spreads throughout the club and the fans. Don't forget, we were storming the league at the time so a bit of confidence would not have been out of place.......Alternatively he could, say nothing.

I think that's absolutely spot on Nobby. Fans want a manager who makes them feel good about themselves and the club and that we're going places, not one suggesting that at any moment it could fall apart because 'we're not really up to it'