Wembley | Vital Football

Wembley

D

Departed

“Wembley is not a problem,” he said. “We are the problem if we don’t play [well] and don’t win, like last season. Please, stop.

“Wembley is the most important place in the world and if we are not capable of winning there, it’s not because of Wembley, it’s because of us. Come on. It’s the most exciting place to play. It’s where football was born.

“For me, always in Argentina or when I was in Spain, one day to be sitting at Wembley was a big dream. Now I have the possibility to play there every two weeks or maybe sometimes every week, or three games in one week - and it’s a problem? Ah, come on. I love Wembley.

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur-boss-mauricio-pochettino-insists-there-is-no-wembley-hoodoo-ahead-of-chelsea-clash-at-national-stadium-1-5154795

Tottenham won’t have any problems playing at Wembley Stadium next season, says Dele Alli
tom collomosse |
ES Sport

Dele Alli insists Tottenham will have no difficulty playing home matches at Wembley — despite struggling there this season.

Spurs won only one of the four European games they played at the national stadium, losing to Monaco and Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League, and drawing 2-2 with Gent when they needed to win to advance to the knockout stages of the Europa League.

In their final season at White Hart Lane, Tottenham won 21 of their 23 matches in all competitions, drawing the other two.

History suggests it will be tough to show the same form at Wembley but Alli is not worried.

“I don’t think it will be a problem,” said the midfielder. “Maybe some of the players weren’t used to it at the start of the season when we were playing in the Champions League but we can’t blame that on Wembley.

“We weren’t playing as well as we should have done and that could have happened anywhere. The new stadium [which Spurs hope to occupy from 2018-19] is a massive statement for the club. Everything is in place for us to be winning trophies. There are a few things we need to change and improve but it’s a great club to be part of.”

Kane expects Tottenham stars to stay this summer

?Alli also praised manager Mauricio Pochettino’s role in reviving Spurs. Although he has yet to win a major trophy, the Argentine has led the club to their best Premier League finishes in consecutive seasons. They were third last term while they are guaranteed to end this campaign second — and will reach 86 points if they win their last two games, against Leicester tomorrow and at Hull three days later.

Alli told Sky Sports: “He is a very passionate guy and an unbelievable manager. Nobody in our team could say a bad word about the way he is. His door is always open and he is always there for you to speak to if you need to, not just about football.

“He is like a father figure to all the players. What people respect the most about him is that no matter who you are, he is not afraid to drop anyone.

“If people take their foot off the gas or have a bad attitude he will let you know straight away. You have to work hard which is why he gets a lot of respect.”

(I'll merge this into the stadium thread after a few days - but thought it worthy of it's own thread for now)..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/tottenham-not-allowed-to-alter-wembley-pitch-scgm5mzdf

Tottenham not allowed to alter Wembley pitch

exclusive

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent | Gary Jacob

June 20 2017, 12:01am,
The Times

Tottenham Hotspur have suffered a setback in their preparations for moving to Wembley next season after being told by the Premier League that they will not be able to alter the dimensions of the pitch to replicate those of White Hart Lane.

Mauricio Pochettino’s side won only one of the five matches they played at Wembley last season, in Europe and the FA Cup semi-final, with Tottenham also failing to win their previous four matches at the national stadium stretching back to the 2008 League Cup final. This has led to discussions as to whether the larger pitch was a contributory factor to the club’s poor results.

Tottenham also discussed the possibility of seeking to reduce the size of the Wembley pitch in the belief that a smaller playing area would aid Pochettino’s trademark pressing game, as The Times revealed last month, but it was made clear to them at a meeting of the 20 Premier League chairmen this month that such a change would not be permitted.

The Premier League introduced a new rule two years ago standardising pitch sizes at 105metres x 68metres, with exceptions only permitted in situations where it is “impossible to comply with rule K21 due to the ground’s construction.”

Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool are among seven Premier League clubs who receive an exemption to have a smaller pitch due to limited space at their grounds, but that does not apply at Wembley, where the pitch is 105m x 69m.

Tottenham will therefore go from having the second smallest pitch in the Premier League next season — only Stoke City’s Britannia Stadium at 100m x 66m has a smaller playing area than White Hart Lane’s 100m x 67m — to the largest, although they could ask the FA to trim its width by one metre.

Newly promoted Newcastle United and Brighton & Hove Albion already comply with the Premier League’s pitch regulations, but Championship play-off winners Huddersfield Town have been asked to increase the size of their pitch.

Tottenham’s new stadium will also be made to the have the standard Premier League pitch size when it opens at the start of the 2018-19 season as there are no space restrictions on the adjacent site.

Pochettino is well aware of the potential complications caused by playing on a bigger pitch and a replica of the Wembley surface was marked out at the club’s training ground at the start of last season, although that did not improve their results in their temporary home.

In another blow to Tottenham’s preparations, Érik Lamela is not expected to be in contention to play until October, meaning that he will be sidelined by a hip injury for a year.

The Tottenham Hotspur attacker has had operations on both hips in Barcelona in the past three months and has started his rehabilitation work at home in Argentina. His last appearance was in the 2-1 EFL Cup fourth-round defeat to Liverpool on October 25.

Tottenham have not previously put a timescale on Lamela’s return after a frustrating season. He returned to Argentina late last year to deal with a family matter, while he also spent much of January working with Damiano Stefanini, the physiotherapist at Roma, his former club. His extended absence led to suggestions he was unhappy in England but Pochettino, the Tottenham manager, has ruled out selling him. Lamela was in discussions to extend his contract beyond 2019 at the time of his injury. He joined from Roma for up to £30 million in 2013.

Danny Rose will also miss the start of the season. The left back is likely to return to training in August after having an operation last month on a knee injury sustained in January.

Taricco the yid - 20/6/2017 11:37

Im glad it got rejected. We need to get used to a bigger pitch.

We will have to adapt our tactics and our game management; having a deeper quality squad with potential game-changers on the bench has to be our priority this window.

We have to improve our ball control, movement and passing. We were inferior in these aspects against our European opponents last season. Monaco and Leverkusen had no problems with the pitch, we are making it an excuse because we weren't good enough.

RichmondSpur - 20/6/2017 13:00

We have to improve our ball control, movement and passing. We were inferior in these aspects against our European opponents last season. Monaco and Leverkusen had no problems with the pitch, we are making it an excuse because we weren't good enough.

That too...

Man U won the EL , we are better than them.

Thank goodness it has been kicked into touch (although I expect we will do the 1m width reduction). It is just a pathetic excuse for poor performances as I have said before, because we seem quite able to go to grounds in the PL and perform.

For me the problem in not being allowed to reduce the pitch means all we will hear is a section of our support whining on about it every time we are poor / loose. That along with the absurd idea that PL, Sky, and every club in the land hate us and conspire against us to win things MUST stop. When did we start to get this 'victim' mentality?

Nick Real Deal - 20/6/2017 17:55

Man U won the EL , we are better than them.

Utd, the clubs above and the mighty Gent! were all better than us in Europe.

My own feeling is that if we bite the bullet (which we have to really, with no choice), then playing at Wembley all season on that bigger pitch and Stadium, could not only get us used to Wembley as an arena/venue but vary our game for Europe and other competitions.

This could be a blessing in disguise. How many other teams have this opportunity?

It's 'grow-up' time this season, let's come of age and conquer. Really speaking, we need this!

Bald Archie - 20/6/2017 18:31

Thank goodness it has been kicked into touch (although I expect we will do the 1m width reduction). It is just a pathetic excuse for poor performances as I have said before, because we seem quite able to go to grounds in the PL and perform.

For me the problem in not being allowed to reduce the pitch means all we will hear is a section of our support whining on about it every time we are poor / loose. That along with the absurd idea that PL, Sky, and every club in the land hate us and conspire against us to win things MUST stop. When did we start to get this 'victim' mentality?

It's a piece of nonsense and only has legs because it keeps getting repeated.

I'm also happy about this decision. Our new gaff is gonna be bigger than WHL (may she rest peacefully), so better to adapt now and just get on with it.

But there will be inevitable teething problems. It's not just the dimensions of the pitch that matter, its the whole 'Home' feel, attitude and experience that will be different next season, and one that will have to be built in our new surroundings. This goes for both players and fans.

There were also a couple of thoughts crossed my mind. With the transfer window open and players maybe contemplating moves elsewhere, on one hand WHL being gone, loyalty could go with it. On the other hand, playing at Wembley all season could be a draw for players with the thought of playing at the new stadium next season an additional draw. I think we have it all going for us.

nel yid - 3/5/2017 11:32

They are basically putting season ticket holders and members in the top 18000 into a corner which they can't back out of unless they want to lose their season tickets for the new stadium. Honestly think it's disgusting not to have the option to delay/not go for a year. But like I said I'm in a corner and will have no option but to renew. Gonna work out around £60 per game for me because I don't think I can face the lack of atmosphere for games vs bottom half opposition.

Can you sell certain games from your season ticket to other fans? Even for a slightly reduced rate from what the club is selling for to recoup some of your money.

Taricco the yid - 3/5/2017 11:25

Does anyone know the actual figures that we have to pay to rent out wembley?

I'm told it depends on many differing factors, but starts from around £250k per game, but can actually rise up to double this...

Spursex - 3/5/2017 11:48

I'm told it depends on many differing factors, but starts from around £250k per game, but can actually rise up to double this...

Jesus. I take it wembley get all money from food and drink sold as well?

Taricco the yid - 3/5/2017 13:08

Spursex - 3/5/2017 11:48

Jesus. I take it wembley get all money from food and drink sold as well?

probably, but we may/I expect we'd get a share of the food and beverage revenues.

I bet majority of members will be able to get tickets for most games for half the price season ticket holders have paid makes it even more of a joke.

If they start demanding normal ticketing prices (£40+ for Burnley at home) then half the ground will be empty so I bet they price them low like the Europa league game, just to fill it up.

Feel sorry for the loyal season ticket holders who have stuck with Spurs through the shit times, now we're on our way up they will lose a lot of these fans and go to the prawn sandwich brigade, our stadium will be like the Emirates. Sad times

What is the prawn sandwich brigade?

And it won't be like the Emirates. Because there will be CL football played at Wembley.