Wembley 1999 | Vital Football

Wembley 1999

Hampshiregills

Vital Youth Team
At the risk of repeating what may already have been posted on here ( and on the assumption that anyone can hear to see it ) then I notice 15 mins of highlights (?) of the Man City game is available on the Sky Sports player.

I noticed that it was on Sky catch up or whatever it’s called the other day. I have had no desire to see it since - a painful day for our club and a disgraceful day for football with Halsey’s addition of fictional injury time.

I still can't bring myself to watch it.
I made myself do the opposite, as a drastic form of therapy in an attempt at getting over the worst sporting experience of my life. Watched it several times. A bit like an alcoholic in rehab having to stare at a pint of Harvey's Best multiple times 96 minutes knowing they can never imbibe.

Each watch did get marginally less painful. I still hope that there isn't the marginal deflection off Pennock's shin that deflects the ball wide of Bartram for the equaliser. No matter how many times I replay it, it still takes the same direction.

All the ghosts of that day were exorcised by Andy Thomson just under a year later.

If we’d never achieved promotion to the Championship I expect a few of us, along with some of the players on the day, would be waking up in a cold sweat every so often thinking about what might have been.

I made myself do the opposite, as a drastic form of therapy in an attempt at getting over the worst sporting experience of my life. Watched it several times. A bit like an alcoholic in rehab having to stare at a pint of Harvey's Best multiple times 96 minutes knowing they can never imbibe.

Each watch did get marginally less painful. I still hope that there isn't the marginal deflection off Pennock's shin that deflects the ball wide of Bartram for the equaliser. No matter how many times I replay it, it still takes the same direction.

I’ve thought the same about Dickov’s equaliser- the way it rises up into the roof of the net from a tightish angle makes me think it flicked off Pennock’s shin as he was trying to block the shot. Only Pennock and Dickov would know for sure, and maybe Bartram!

Being in Oz when that game was on I never got to see it at the time. I was on t’internet and doing silent charges around the living room in celebration at 2am.

I have since watched the entire game up until the 86th minute mark. I’ve not watched one second past our 2 goals and subsequent celebrations.

No spoilers please. I have my own image of what occurred next. And don’t try to paint me a different picture please.

Think nibbles hit the nail on the head there. Thanks to Sir Andy, the ghosts were laid, and my version came to fruition. Otherwise I think I might still be in therapy.

Being in Oz when that game was on I never got to see it at the time. I was on t’internet and doing silent charges around the living room in celebration at 2am.

I have since watched the entire game up until the 86th minute mark. I’ve not watched one second past our 2 goals and subsequent celebrations.

No spoilers please. I have my own image of what occurred next. And don’t try to paint me a different picture please.

Think nibbles hit the nail on the head there. Thanks to Sir Andy, the ghosts were laid, and my version came to fruition. Otherwise I think I might still be in therapy.

Well I only watched until the 89th minute and I was in the stadium;;)) My last words to friends as I left were 'see you in the first division'! It was the only game I've ever left early, as I had to get to Gatwick for a flight. It was half way down Wembley way that I realised what had happened, when hundreds / thousands of Man City fans started cheering. But as others have said, the story has a happy ending, 12 months later...

On a regular basis that bar steward Halsey is consulted on the radio about refereeing matters. I just cannot listen to him and switch off or to another station.

I still look upon Man C as having offered many bribes to get where they are now. Whether it is true or not, I've never seen any justification of Halsey's opinion of extra time. There must have been a good few hundreds of Man C fans already up Wembley Way before LondonGill left - indicating that they didn't believe there was any such amount of time left.

I still look upon Man C as having offered many bribes to get where they are now. Whether it is true or not, I've never seen any justification of Halsey's opinion of extra time. There must have been a good few hundreds of Man C fans already up Wembley Way before LondonGill left - indicating that they didn't believe there was any such amount of time left.

So city offered Halsey a bribe that if they were losing he was to add on an extra minute possibly two than you’d expect - City would then simply score a couple of goals in this time.

What a cunning plan.

All the ghosts of that day were exorcised by Andy Thomson just under a year later.

If we’d never achieved promotion to the Championship I expect a few of us, along with some of the players on the day, would be waking up in a cold sweat every so often thinking about what might have been.

Spot on, nibbles, so very true.

And this is why Thommo is a Saint for evermore.

Can't remember which game it was recently but there were loads of City fans coming on the radio, moaning about some cheating ref adding on too much time when they'd lost to a late goal. Even questioning the ref's integrity.
Oh what short memories these people have.

Can't remember which game it was recently but there were loads of City fans coming on the radio, moaning about some cheating ref adding on too much time when they'd lost to a late goal. Even questioning the ref's integrity.
Oh what short memories these people have.

You gotta remember, nobs, that lots of City fans aint real fans, they're just those glory-hunting types.

The acid test for any City fan is to mention Gillingham. The real supporters will smile, shake your hand and react with real class. The wankers will just look at you with confusion and bemusement.

True, I'll never forget rushing onto a tube train on the way to Wembley that day only to find it full of City fans.
Initially I shat myself for fear of a good hiding but they were good as gold. We walked up Wembley Way together (singing Blue Moon!!!) and they all shook my hand and wished me luck before going into the ground. Quality bunch of lads.

There was a nice comment from a City fan beneath an online newspaper report of our Cardiff victory.It congratulated us and said we were part of their folklore because of what happened at Wembley.

The acid test for any City fan is to mention Gillingham. The real supporters will smile, shake your hand and react with real class. The wankers will just look at you with confusion and bemusement.

I spent six wonderful years living in Manchester between 2004 and 2010. The Blues fans I met during that time were indeed "real supporters" as you describe, many of whom had been at the game and were sympathetic to a Gills' viewpoint.

At the same time virtually every United fan responded with "Who?" when Gillingham came up in conversation.

Loved the city and the people, it's a great place. So many local away games too, I took in Oldham, Bury, Rochdale, Accy, Stockport, Blackpool, Bradford, Macclesfield, Port Vale and Burscough (*shudder) during my time up there.

I spent six wonderful years living in Manchester between 2004 and 2010. The Blues fans I met during that time were indeed "real supporters" as you describe, many of whom had been at the game and were sympathetic to a Gills' viewpoint.

At the same time virtually every United fan responded with "Who?" when Gillingham came up in conversation.

Loved the city and the people, it's a great place. So many local away games too, I took in Oldham, Bury, Rochdale, Accy, Stockport, Blackpool, Bradford, Macclesfield, Port Vale and Burscough (*shudder) during my time up there.

Agree with all of that, mate. Great place and the real City fans are top notch. Love the way they refuse to embrace the Champions League. Also get the feeling that their money and subsequent success is double-edged for them; on the one hand they are enjoying putting one over United and having Pep and all their world-class players, but on the other hand they hate all the money and in a perverse way kind of miss being the underdog.

I've said before (and will shirley say again, more than once!) that my little fantasy is for Glls to win the Championship and then politely decline to participate in the Premiershit...