Well it was a win | Vital Football

Well it was a win

dedmans

Vital Reserves Team
Went again.
Might not in the future on the lower tier as view is awful and bloody cold.
However, not a great game at all. Affected by strong wind initially and awfully scrappy. All I can say is that they dug in and other than an awful missed chance for them at the end with a mis-kick, they cleared their ranks admirably.
It was one of those games that if not won would have been a bad memory. The support was absolutely amazing and I am sure better spectacles will soon arrive for the deserving. Rose, Lowe,Mcgill, Hawkins and Chaplin made there presence felt and I can see Hawkins being a great asset.

I thought we played ok, Plymouth are definitely a poorer side than last season - are we weaker too?

We had more than enough chances to have won comfortably, thankfully these missed chances didn't cost us with victory defo deserved.

Shame we lost Hawkins, had a very good game at the back and looks as if he could become a very good central defender.

Trouble is on the lower tier that you cannot see the parameters when the ball is in the air sideways. I could not comprehend how on earth their keeper buggered up the bouncing ball until I saw the highlights and appreciated that it was out of the area!
From the highlights I also appreciated more the midfield movement thus if I was too negative, I apologise!
Also, with 18,000 fervent and true supporters, why do not more post and visit this site?

I was lucky enough to have hospitality for this one and sat on a table with mixed Pompey and Plymouth supporters, the consensus were Pompey were the better side, looked more composed and fluent on the ball and probably should have been more comfortable than 1-0. The defending of set pieces was again in evidence and there were a few decent headed chances for Plymouth that could have made things different. Overall deserved though and with a makeshift back line and 3 academy products on the pitch to boot so I went away very happy with the 3 points and a set of players who have a lot of potential still to get to. Naismith, Chaplin, Rose, Close generally controlled things and Huanstrup continues to impress and grow, hopefully more chances for him this season. Great support to boot, I think we will have our poor runs with consistent team selection hindering things but we will be alright and with a bit more luck with injuries we could make the play-offs.

Agreed on Haunstrup, think the more chances he gets and the more confidence gained when going forward the better for him, and us. One who COULD still have a very good future at Fratton...