Well done Bromley | Page 4 | Vital Football

Well done Bromley

Do you think other club message boards have such intellectual, technical and thought-provoking discussions as ours, about 1960s municipal boundary division, postal addresses and cultural identity? Obviously I’m heavily biased, but this must be one of the most intelligent group of fans anywhere, stretching from the county of Kent to the Lomdon borough of Bromley and beyond (excluding a few 😀)

Meanwhile, in another chat, I ses we’ve appointed our new manager. But this debate is far more stimulating….

I wonder whether the new manager will be expected to live in Medway, the county of Kent or a London borough with a Kent postcode?

Was going to add for his six month tenancy agreement, but nope, this is for the long term, hopefully!

The county's highest positioned football team within the English football pyramid is therefore Ebbsfleet United.
But Medway isn't a county and, according to AA Route planner, Ebbsfleet's ground is 21.6 miles from Greater London while Priestfield is 33.4 miles

I wonder whether the same debate happened oop north when Stockport came back in to the league. Now part of Greater Manchester but, apparently, Most of the town is within the boundaries of the historic county of Cheshire, with the area north of the Mersey in the historic county of Lancashire.

Last edited:
Why is my postal address Kent then? Unlike Spotters who are London SE... whatever.
Got some spoilers for you here, the Post Office/Royal Mail does not change the address when there is a boundary change on pre existing properties. It will be why new builds in places like Orpington, Sidcup or Bexleyheath won't state Kent on their address but the properties built before 1965 will.

Got some spoilers for you here, the Post Office/Royal Mail does not change the address when there is a boundary change on pre existing properties. It will be why new builds in places like Orpington, Sidcup or Bexleyheath won't state Kent on their address but the properties built before 1965 will.
Ok, fair enough. Shame Gillingham isn't in Kent any more then. :(

this must be one of the most intelligent group of fans anywhere
The small island near Folkestone was destroyed in the 50s by a volcano
The county's highest positioned football team within the English football pyramid is therefore Ebbsfleet United
Bromley very much is in the ceremonial county of Kent
Margate comes under Kent but I always think it should be in Essex
If I had the arse of a crow I'd fly over Pangea tomorrow
The next time I renew my passport and have to write my address in, it will have to finish with 'Kent but now London apparently'
Shame Gillingham isn't in Kent any more

And that's just this thread. Good job everyone.

Allow me to share a couple of interesting and entertaining (no, really!) videos on the expansion of London and the mess that is the English county system.... This may clear a few things up on this contentious topic

Exactly. The Post Office will accept "Medway" as a postal address. Hence why the invidual Towns and Kent are still used.
Jarrett and Co had their noses put out of joint when Royal Mail told them to revert to the traditional address. Its why they were determined to get the "City of Medway".

There's a marker near where I live which shows the boundary between Rotherhithe and Deptford. It also says it was the county boundary between Kent and Surrey until 1899. Coincidentally the same year the majority of members of this board started to support the Gills....
... best be careful casting nasturtiums, young Tim, lest ye might find yourself heading back out on the next convict ship from whence you came ....
1715191340501.jpeg

Last edited: