"Welcome to Wrexham" | Vital Football

"Welcome to Wrexham"

Bromley_GFC

Vital Youth Team
I'm currently watching the "Welcome to Wrexham" series, anyone seen it? Really enjoying it and good to see two Hollywood actors embrace English football fans culture.

It was hilarious seeing the pair of them turn up to Maidenhead United away on a Tuesday night to support their club.

Yeah I really enjoyed it, they're doing another series as well apparently, Reynolds and McElhenney come across as really decent blokes.

I guess Disney pay them for the coverage so it’s a further boost for their playing budget and more exposure too so good for the club.
Would love to see a similar series about the Gills.

Watched the full series, very good other than the boring episode learning about Wales (who wants to do that?!). They seem to care and want to build something bigger than just a bankrolled football club. Sadly though at the moment that is what they are, just a good old fashioned football league club with money being thrown at it. Therefore I would enjoy seeing them not come up again (as long as it's not at the expense of a non-league no mark such as a Barrow or a Harrogate etc).

If we go down then I’d be happy for them to come up, otherwise let them rot in non league (in the nicest possible way).

When I see "Wrexham", all I can think of was that painful day when we blew our chance of automatic promotion in 2000.

I had an irrational dislike of the legendary Chris Kamara for many years after that game. I think he was commentating and was outside cheerfully greeting Gillingham fans as they were filing out, dejected. He said something along the lines of "good luck in the playoffs, you'll need it after last year" which seemed sarcastic to me haha. Very silly of me in hindsight

Watched the full series, very good other than the boring episode learning about Wales (who wants to do that?!). They seem to care and want to build something bigger than just a bankrolled football club. Sadly though at the moment that is what they are, just a good old fashioned football league club with money being thrown at it. Therefore I would enjoy seeing them not come up again (as long as it's not at the expense of a non-league no mark such as a Barrow or a Harrogate etc).
Barrow "non league no mark"!!??
Ahem, in my lifetime they've been a league side for many seasons, including infamously beating us 7 0. Proper old fashioned league team imo, along with Workington, Darlington and Southport.

No marks would include the concrete slab of a place that is Stevenage and the roundabout hell that is MK Dons (plastics).

Edit: been a geek and looked it up.
1961/2. Lost 7 0 away, just 5 days after beating them 3 2 at home. We were 2nd bottom. Amazingly we went on to win our next game, away to top of the table, nearby, Carlisle.

Last edited:
1961/2. Lost 7 0 away, just 5 days after beating them 3 2 at home. We were 2nd bottom. Amazingly we went on to win our next game, away to top of the table, nearby, Carlisle.

Even more recently, in the eighties, we lost 7-1 to York and 6-0 to Aldershot before they both dropped in to non league.

Those darn "no marks" just keep punishing us.:LOL:

Not sure why people feel the need to use that disparaging phrase "throwing money at" any club fortunate enough to attract investment. Seems to me these guys are funding a genuine project that they believe in.

I don't resent Wrexham's good fortune , neither do `I think the money is being 'thrown' at them in some reckless or careless adventure.

Ahem, in my lifetime they've been a league side for many seasons, including infamously beating us 7 0. Proper old fashioned league team imo, along with Workington, Darlington and Southport.

No marks would include the concrete slab of a place that is Stevenage and the roundabout hell that is MK Dons (plastics).

That loss at Barrow was the first ever league fixture to be abandoned then declared a result

When I see "Wrexham", all I can think of was that painful day when we blew our chance of automatic promotion in 2000.

When I see “Wrexham” I think of our epic battles late 70’s when they were promoted and we missed out. 0-0 at ours and 3-3 at theirs. They also had a great cup run that year and were the team that beat the other giant killers Blythe Spartans in the 5th round iirc. They were the “big name” out of the lower leagues and drew some big crowds (as did we that year).

Two memories of ‘Wrexham’ stand out for me:

1) pre-match car park burger outside the Racecourse Ground
2) Iffy booting one of their players up the arse at the Priestfield and getting a red card (they really did a job on him that day)

Missing out on promotion was totally vindicated by our PO Final win.

I’m a young’un so my main memories are when we smashed them at home in both 98 and 99 and obviously the end-of-season party pooper. I believe we got the Big Al special there and back as was usual back in the day. Sharon went up with a crate of bubbly 😩

I think I went up with my parents and the moment my dad got our tickets out someone was straight up to him asking if he was selling. I’m not exaggerating, it was a literal moment. Ah, that doesn’t happen often at Gills!